subzero hunting clothing

AlexanderWaller

In the stages of preparing for a wolf hunt in Canada. Being from Florida, I dont like the cold much. Supposedly, the average temperature is 0 degrees but I want to be prepared for negative 20. I'm on a budget so I cant get a $600 jacket. Any of yall have suggestions for facemasks, jackets, gloves... Any and all advice would be highly apreciated.

Dress in layers. Stay away from cotton or cotton mixes. I like under armor but it is hard to beat wool.

Multiple layers work well so you can take off certain layers or add others to suit your exertion level or the temp. changes which can be drastic in the north.

Make sure you avoid sweating. Top layer should be a water proof breathable jacket and bibs.

Talk with your outfitter about what to bring.

Tim

Nothing I've found beats layers of fleece with a wind proof membrane in the mix somewhere. Cabelas windshear Outfitters Fleece line is a pretty good outer layer. Cabelas also has ( or at least they used to have) some wader liner pants in fleece that were fairly reasonable & warm as an intermediate layer. AVOID COTTON AT ALL COSTS!!!!! A handwarmer muff and light gloves ( think Underarmour ) will probably work best for your hands.
Now, I've never been to Canada, but this worked for me bow hunting in single digit temps in Illinois. Good luck,
RB9

Ditto to what was posted above and I'll add a few things that have helped me. Zero degrees is really not that cold, it just sounds cold. Zero degrees and add wind, now its cold. This is what I wear,,,,no cotton whatsoever, base layer polar tec power dry light weight, 2nd layer same thing but mid weight, 3rd layer fleece heavy weight. Then I throw on my Kings insulated snow camo, Parka, bibs and Fleece hooded mask.

Might seem excessive but its not. All clothing is easy to move in, all breathable and not bulky. I can sit no problem in 2f with a slight breeze for hours. I wear regular waterproof work boots with smart wool socks. As long as my core stays warm so does everything else.

Have fun on your trip,,,I'm jealous

Never tried this yote hunting but when out winter Steel Head fishing and standing in waders in water up to my crotch I take a hand warmer and place it at the base of my neck seems to help with warmth even down to my fat little toes.

DAB

I make sure every thing I wear over my long underwear zipps al the way open.Otherwise when im walking I overheat.No pullovers for me.Wool and fleece are king.Ditto on the no cotton,not even an undershirt.

I have a cabelas stand hunter extreme jacket and it is hands down the best jacket I have ever worn. I think this jacket with matching bibs or the coveralls would be ideal.

I wear this coverall as my outer layer as I hate bibs/jacket stuff. The Snow camo one.
http://www.shydas.com/product.php3?id=2684
I layer under starting w/thermals, heated socks, heated gloves, down army jacket liner, sweater jacket etc.
If you find a set of military Artic pants/coat/bunny boots get them they are perfect.
I use all of this in WY where Im am out at -20 to +20 and bone chilling cold.

Don't let it get bulky. That's a trick, but worth it. Multiple thin ish layers is the way to go. Make them snug but not tight.

Alright yall, ive come up with a sort of rough draft plan to keep warm.: Thermal shirt, thermal pants, thin knee high socks, thick knee high socks, Two pairs of thick camo pants, redhead jacket, cabela’s outfitters wool shirt jacket, Browning Down jacket, Sitka traverse gloves, Thicker redhead gloves, Redhead polyester beanie, Mad bomber fur hat. Sitka traverse Balaclava. If this is too much or too little, well its still a rough draft. Excuse me if i'm going a little overboard but I spoke with a man the other day who spent 9 days in a blind waiting for a wolf, in -30. He lost the tips of his ears to frostbite. Again, thank you guys so much for helping me out.

I freeze in under armour.. I have three sets of merino wool underwear. light, medium and expedition weight. Merino is soft enough it can be worn next to the skin and will keep you warm even when wet or sweat soaked. Over that I wear Cabelas berber fleece with wind stopper lining.
Temps between twenty and thirty, I layer the medium wool with fleece wind stopper hoodie and pants. Ten to twenty, I add the light set of wool to the above combination. Zero to ten, I replace the medium set with expedition. Zero and below with wind, I replace hoodie with parka. This layering system is light and easy to move in. And depending on your tolerance to cold the combinations are almost limitless.
Berber gaitor with berber watch cap lets me regulate heat better than ballaclava. And when time to shoot I can pull the gaitor below my mouth to keep from fogging the scope. Like you, I have the sitka traverse gloves. And when really cold run glo/mitts over those. Smart wool socks, goretex lined boots with 1000 grams insulation keeps my feet toasty

Man just get heavy wool overalls I have columbia galatin? wool overalls and a wool outfitters coat from cabelas with a polar fleece under it. you could even get insulated pabts for under the overalls. I wear mine out all night in pa when its 15/-5 and sit right in the snow and I feel like im on tge beach. I wear wool socks with uninsulated leather boots. Although I am rather warm blooded unlike most people from fl lol.

Back