FYI Southern Missouri hunters

RJM Acres

Not only are the ticks out early this year but so are the snakes.
Just killed a small copperhead in the back yard.
The last 2 chickens thought it was tasty however.

Ticks are easily managed... snakes a little less so. I've been hearing of the wiggly dudes becoming active. That is the one thing I dislike about turkey hunting - snakes. Pays to keep an eye peeled for sure.

Not to worry. The chickens are just establishing a pecking order.
grin.gif

It makes sense that if the ticks are out, the snakes will be also. Remember those rocks we sat on and you said "good thing the copperheads aren't out yet"?
ohmy.gif

Originally Posted By: RadioRemember those rocks we sat on and you said "good thing the copperheads aren't out yet"?
ohmy.gif

Yep, I remember saying just that.
And you listened to me.

Guess I better pay more attention this evening as I'm heading
back to that same pond. Don't think the boots I where would be
considered snake bite proof.

Originally Posted By: GCTicks are easily managed... snakes a little less so. I've been hearing of the wiggly dudes becoming active. That is the one thing I dislike about turkey hunting - snakes. Pays to keep an eye peeled for sure.

Just to danged early for the snakes to be out.
This copperhead was only about 6" long.
If it hadn't been for Callie (dog) I would have never known it
was there.

I was at Peck Ranch Saturday and it was 83*. Plenty warm for snakes. This weeks chill will slow them down some but it is inevitable they will come out. Pays to keep a sharp eye out this time of year.

It was 80 here on Saturday.
Freeze warning out for the next couple of nights.

Just came in from checking some stuff out and noticed that
the pear and cherry trees have leaves on them. I think it
was the peach tree, maybe the plum that was budded to the
point where it will probably have leaves pop out tomorrow.

Glad spring is here.

Originally Posted By: RJM Acres
Glad spring is here.

You spoke too soon. Spring officially begins this Wednesday, but we have rain/snow mix forecast for Thursday and Friday with lows 28 to 30° Hope it freezes some ticks!

I haven't seen any Snakes yet but had ticks on me 2 different times already this year.....actually I'm up in my ladder stand right now with a cold north wind blowing in my face and hoping to call in a Coyote as it gets closer to dark!....Wish me Luck Guys!
laugh.gif
wink.gif

...GC, were you on an elk-tour?? I saw 3 elk on July 4th, at about 6:00 A.M., over on the north side, next to a place known as Mud Springs.

I live about 8 or 9 miles from Peck Ranch. Some years, I turkey hunt in that area, depending on bird concentrations.

As far as snakes, I haven't seen any, yet, but that's okay. It seems like the ticks never leave for the winter.
--------
P.S. If you get out on the trails on Peck Ranch, watch for timber rattlers. There are some Boone and Crockett Rattlers, there.

Originally Posted By: Savagenut...GC, were you on an elk-tour?? I saw 3 elk on July 4th, at about 6:00 A.M., over on the north side, next to a place known as Mud Springs.

I live about 8 or 9 miles from Peck Ranch. Some years, I turkey hunt in that area, depending on bird concentrations.

As far as snakes, I haven't seen any, yet, but that's okay. It seems like the ticks never leave for the winter.
--------
P.S. If you get out on the trails on Peck Ranch, watch for timber rattlers. There are some Boone and Crockett Rattlers, there.

We were looking... didn't see any. My thought was that at this point maybe they would be hitting the fields and some newly greened up grass, acorns have to be about gone by now. We were there about an hour from dark and eased all along and only saw two deer. Lot of turkey scratching along those roads in the "tour route." We do a lot of hunting south of Ellington on the Current River, actually in Shannon County there also. There were five big bulls hanging around there for a good part of the summer and early fall. They cut out before rifle deer season - probably a good idea!

I wondered how the turkey hunting was around Peck Ranch. Gotta love a county seat that has a wild turkey gobbler hanging on a sign at the courthouse!

Back