Trimming the Feed Ramp?

Clayne_B

To start off with.

Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Mcrees Precision Chassis. using the 10 round mag.

Here is what the loaded rounds look like in the mag.

0314131313_zps8f87fc89.jpg

0314131313a_zpsc968dbe3.jpg

0314131342_zps2303f7b2.jpg

When they are to the back of the mag they feed just fine. But after a shot they move forward and will not feed. They are going under the feed ramp. Is it a dumb Idea to trim a little bit off the feed ramp? It seems they are going under about half the gap of what you see between the tip of the bullet and the mag in the pictures above.

I dont really want to mess with the seating depth as they are shooting GREAT

3 at 510 yards

0312131930_zps4d4b5292.jpg

Whats your OAL now? You must have them really stretched out to not feed. Normally 308's are not real length sensitive. You might try 2.800 which is pretty standard with a 168 grain bullet, it usually always worked for me. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: fw707You need to have the feed ramp slotted.
I'll try to find a picture.

Sort of like M-4 ramps in an AR?

Like this:

receivermodsforlongeroal2.jpg

receivermodsforlongeroal3.jpg

It's a very common modification.
I got a custom rifle from one of the top companies a few months ago. I had to send it back to have the ramp slotted the day after it was delivered.
Let's just say they were slightly embarrassed.
lol.gif

Seems easy enough with the correct equipment. Clayne, PM Cody '204farr' He's up North of you and I bet he can get this done for ya.

Shane,
I bet a vise, a brand new chain saw file, and about an hour of really slow and patient filing would work just as well.

Originally Posted By: fw707Shane,
I bet a vise, a brand new chain saw file, and about an hour of really slow and patient filing would work just as well.

Likely...I just don't trust my shakes hands...I'd make a terrible barber. Lol. And I know Cody would do a good job at a nice price.

If'n I was going to file it, I'd use a triangular one to start and finish with the round. It doesn't seem like a whole lot of material in the way there...

Originally Posted By: pahntr760
If'n I was going to file it, I'd use a triangular one to start and finish with the round. It doesn't seem like a whole lot of material in the way there...

That would work.
It's just a clearance slot.
I didn't do my first one, but I'll dang sure do my next one.
grin.gif

I would try messing with the magazine feed lips a little before you mill the action. Do you have a pic of a loaded mag from the side? Nothing wrong with modifying the feed ramp, but you shouldn't need to with AI mags that still have the front plate. On my accurate mags I had to bend the lips in at the front, so cartridges are angled slightly down in front.

I was thinking the same a Joe M. If the lips were open in the front, wouldn't that allow the ctg to raise up a little. Provided the bolt cleared the lips it should work. If not, just bend them back down.

Mine came to open in the front, and under recoil they would go past the front of the mag and mis feed just like yours. My feed ramp is already modified and that was not the problem.

Back