Some pics of my pup growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roode301

She is starting to fill out real nice. There is some of my GSP that I thought about trying out decoying to. He is the smartest and easy to train dog I have ever owned. ENJOY
DSC_0103.JPG

DSC_0104.JPG

DSC_0105.JPG

DSC_0106.JPG

She's got her Momma's gorgeous feminine face. She should be real aggressive to coyotes, based on her Mom and Dad.

You've done well with her.

Tony

Why would you need a dog that would chew through a fence to get to a coyote? The videos I've seen of decoy dogs don't show dogs that are chew through a fence aggressive to get to a coyote? I've watched Montana Doggers and Coyote hunting has gone to the dogs with a guy named Cal and Murphy in it.

Last edited:
I guide for a living. I see alot of injured, but not dead, coyotes. I require a dog that'll shut an injured coyote down, not just bay it up. I spent too many nights approaching bayed coyotes with the flashlight, just to have them run off and get bayed up 1/4 mile again. One night, I couldn't find the hunting rig, as we walked a good 2 miles away from it after a coyote. I've read on here that some folks say it's their job to kill a coyote and not the dog's. I'm way past the who kills the coyote and more about getting the stand shut down, animal out of it's misery and back to the rig to go make another stand. I have no room in my kennels for dogs that don't absolutely hate coyotes. I've culled heavily for that. Different strokes for different folks, but that's what I need in my dogs -vs- an average weekend hunter.

Hope that helps.

Tony

I agree with Tony on that. You don't want your dogs to get hurt, but I wouldn't have one that didn't have the guts to meet a coyote head on and hold his/her own. I was fortunate to hunt with Jerry Hunsley and his great dog, Wiley, in S. Dakota and he was a man's dog for sure, and he really knew his business.

im sure my dog dont like coyotes but he will not bite one if it is alive. he will bay it and take nips at it. he may get a little more aggressive if he had another dog there for backup, i dont know. but he has bayed several that gave me time to get a kill shot off. we have had one he couldnt get shut down and we never got it killed. so i can see both sides i guess.

is that a joke or serious?? i had a blue heeler that would jump off the feed truck and kill a coyote several times a year.

this was way before i knew anything about hunting coyotes with a dog. i could have taught him to tone back and may have had a decoying beast!!

Decoying and killing are two different things. It takes a heck of a dog to kill a coyote. If they can they are prolly not worth a flip as a decoy dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back