hornady v-max 50 gr. / varget load data 22-250

hplfugee

i really need help on this one. i can`t find load data on this one. i have tried the hornady and hodgdon sites and didn`t find any info. i looked at my hodgdon manual and i am guessing that 34gr to 36gr might be my target range. any thoughts or recipes helpful.

what is up with 50gr v-max? i thought it was a popular bullet. i think i have to look them up before i order. i just looked at another post with questions on that bulllet.

If it was me I'd start in the 34-35 grns of Varget area & see how that works. That bullet is close enough to use the data on the Hodgdon site listed for the 50 grn Sierra, just don't go right to max. I also usually cross reference data from several sources.

Since the 22-250 can really sizzle, I don't feel the need to load them at max anyway.

I use the term 'reasonable interpolation' with reloading data. Some may not like the idea, or they neglect the 'reasonable' part. That's not to be confused with 'winging it'. The next guy's mileage may very well vary.

Originally Posted By: hplfugeei really need help on this one. i can`t find load data on this one. i have tried the hornady and hodgdon sites and didn`t find any info. i looked at my hodgdon manual and i am guessing that 34gr to 36gr might be my target range. any thoughts or recipes helpful.

It is a very popular bullet.

Starting 50gr bullet - Varget 34.5gr ~3600

Max-ish 37.5gr ~3900

I just started playing with the 50 Blitzkings in mine.

Earlier I had taken 52 Berger Match Target hollow points up to 36.5 of Varget (Fed210 primers, 2.350" COL, Nosler brass) and these were over 3,600 fps.

So if I were you, I definitely wouldn't push up beyond 36.5 unless you are going very slowly with a chrono monitoring what's going on.

35-36, to maybe 36.5 on the high end with Varget and a 50.

Now with Reloader 15, I'm thinking 37.5 might be closer to my real max at probably 3900 or just over. With RL15 powder and the 50BK, I found goodness at around 36.4. I won't go any higher than 36.4 or 36.5 with RL15 either though until we get into hot/humid weather again. I don't need that extra 100-125fps that badly.

Originally Posted By: hplfugeei really need help on this one. i can`t find load data on this one. i have tried the hornady and hodgdon sites and didn`t find any info. i looked at my hodgdon manual and i am guessing that 34gr to 36gr might be my target range. any thoughts or recipes helpful.

Hornady's 8th Edition lists 31.8gr as a start and 36.4gr Max. Varget and 50gr V-Max.

Back