2 out of 3 ain't bad, except when #3 was SOLID BLACK!!!

Kizmo

Well, Thursday morning about 9:30 AM I got a call from my rancher, who was observing 3 yotes mousing in the pasture 100 yards from his truck. He said all 3 were big, and the biggest, "the ringleader" was solid black. I told him I would see him the next morning, and my mouth watered all day at the thought of that black pelt stretched over the back of the sofa in my man cave.
tt1.gif

I had not hunted this particular pasture, so Friday morning I met my rancher at 6 AM so that he could show me where to go. The place was 4 pastures and agricultural fields measuring 1 x 1 1/2 miles total, separated by a "crosshairs" of woodline in the middle. A large commercial quail operation was situated north of the paved road that marked the northern border, and Mr. "NO HUNTING-DON'T ASK" owned the woods to the south. The wind forecast was supposed to be out of the north/northeast. I set up in the middle of the western woodline with a pasture to my south, between me and Mr. NHDA's woods. I planned on sitting at that one spot all morning, since they didn't see the yotes until mid morning the day before. Wile E., my full mount coyote decoy, accompanied me on this trip. I asked him what he thought of the plan.

Wile E. smiled a knowing smile. "Ol' Kiz", he said, "dis is jest about da BESTEST plan in da whole damned WORLD."
thumbup.gif

I finally got set up at about 6:45, hanging my Shockwave, wrapped in its "ghillie suit" in a tree right behind Wile E., who was in the pasture about 30 yards to my front right. I had a hill in the pasture in front of me which I carefully ranged at 440 yards. This hill prevented my seeing Mr. NHDA's woods, but, no matter, I'd have plenty of time to get on them when they bounded over it on the way to my call and their certain death. I set the Savage on the bipod pointed at the exact spot I KNEW they would appear and cranked my scope up to 14x and set my parallax to 200 yards. I looked at Wile E. and told him it was only a matter of time before the lead started flyin' and the blood started runnin'.
scared.gif

Wile E. smiled his knowing smile. "Yep Kiz", I heard him say, "it's gonna get plumb gruesome out here in a little while".

To my chagrin, two irrigations pumps cranked up loudly to my left in the east field a couple of hundred yards from me. I fired off a couple of howls and went into cottontail distress followed up by woodpecker with a howl or two thrown into the mix. About this time I noticed that the wind was blowing out of the east. "Perfect", I said to Wile E. "I know those yotes aren't coming out of the west. That black yote and his whole damned family are dead dogs walking." I reveled in my smug satisfaction.

Wile E. smiled his knowing smile. "Yep Kiz", I heard him say, "you da man. You da BESTEST coyote killer in da whole damned WORLD!"

I finally got tired of those pumps drowning out my calls, so I hit lightning jack because it is the loudest distress call I have. Within a minute or two, I spotted movement 30 yards to my right, coming out of the field behind me and crossing into the thin woodline I was sitting in. "No", I said to Wile E. "That can't be a coyote coming from the vast nothingness behind me. No, that can't be a coyote, crossing my wind 30 yards to my west and paying me no attention at all."

"No, that can't be a coyote. Crap, that's TWO coyotes!!!!" I said to Wile E. as the second one came into view, following the very path the first one took.

Wile E., he don't say nothin', but peered anxiously at the two coyotes rapidly approaching his 6.

At this point, my mind went into lockdown, able only to repeat wherestheblackone?wherestheblackone?wherestheblackone?wherestheblackone? over and over as my eyeballs protruded from the sockets they formerly occupied to scan the immediate area in vain search for MY prize black coyote. I spied Wile E. hanging out with his new friends. He was no longer smiling.

"Ol' Kiz," said Wile E., "I know you wantin' that black one, but don't you think it'd be a good idea to start doin' some shootin'? It's gettin' real crowded over here."
watchdrama8jm.gif

I snapped back to my senses as my eyeballs returned to their sockets. I muted the call and fumbled around cranking my scope down as the bigger of the two decided to take a dump out about 60 yards in front of Wile E. I sighted and squeezed, sending 55 grains of .243 Silvertip goodness in his direction. He grabbed dirt faster than a French soldier and didn't get back up. Wile E. gave me a thumbs up. I worked the action as I picked the rifle up to pivot to my right as #2 was making it towards the next county. I swung and squeezed, but didn't think I connected.

"Don't worry Kiz", Wile E. told me, smiling his knowing smile, "just you wait a minute, you got her."

Sure enough, about 200 yards out, #2 made the questionable decision to stop and gnaw that "bee" that was stinging her on her back thigh.

"Told ya", Wile E. said as I worked the action and sent her some more of that sweet ol' goodness. #2 was down.

I hit coyote in distress and did a 180 to look out the back door. Sure enough, there was the black one, aka Mr. Lazy Pants Who Couldn't Get His Black [beeep] Out of Bed Early Enough To Hang With His Buddies. There he stood, black as an ink spot, in all his melanistic splendor. He was about 300-400 yards out in the middle of that vast nothingness behind me, trotting slowly parallel to the woodline and trying to figure out what the heck all that shootin' was about. I grabbed my trusty rangefinding binoculars and tried to range him, getting no results. I tried again, no result.

"Dummy", said Wile E., "what do you expect, trying to range a BLACK coyote?"
cursing.gif

I gave up and guestimated him to be about 350 yards. I held on him with between my 1st and 2nd crosshairs and waited for him to stop. He obliged, and just as I was about to squeeze the trigger, about 50 (well, it seemed like that many) cars decided to traverse the paved road directly behind him. I cursed as I heard him cackle maniacally, one of those villainous Snidely Whiplash laughs, as he started moving again. He stopped one more time at 500 yards. I centered crosshair #4 on him, but at the last minute I noticed the house and truck in the middle of the yard behind him. He cacked evilly again as he trotted slowly into that yard, showing me his derriere as he disappeared.

"Ol' Kiz", said Wile E., "I believe dat black one got away from ya."
angrycloud.gif

Of course, my rancher was as happy as a cat at a bird show, but me and Wile E. couldn't help but feel just a little tinge of disappointment.

DoubleMar72013_zpsef6dda49-1_zps2561f321.jpg

HOMAnimated_zpsa2612f08.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a very entertaining read Kiz. Sooo... you have your own rancher and your are talking with a stuffed coyote. Feel free to take a day or two off and relax a bit.
wink.gif
Oh ya and post pics of that black one when you get him. Good work. Give Wile E an extra biscuit tonight.

The black one getting away is enough to make a grown man cry. I should know.

But, the day wasn't lost. Nice going on the two.

I feel your pain after connecting with an albino today which I thought was DRT turns out I connected with his lower jaw and knocked him out only to come to as I was 10 yards away and completely unprepared. On the good side at least he'll die all alone with out me having the albino bugger on the couch in my MAN CAVE!!! Good read man!!!

Very entertaining write up Kiz! I enjoyed it very much! Nice going on the ones you got and maybe you and blacky will meet up again one of these days!

Thanks guys. Well, to show you that I don't know nuthin', I figured Mr. Lazy Pants was gone for good, since I'd wiped out his whole social network. My rancher called me again yesterday. Turns out the son of a [beeep] was back out there in the same field yesterday morning as if nothing had happened. Of course, I was at work and Wile E. was at home goofing off.

I will be taking a few days off as Kiz Jr. has a shooting tournament to go to this weekend and I can't take off another morning before we leave, dangit. It's a race against time to get him before he starts shedding. The bigger one of the pair still had OK fur, but the smaller one was already shedding. Gotta get him before he starts losing that lovely black coat.

Jabey, I feel your pain. I've seen a few black ones, even shot a mangy one, but I've never once laid eyes on an albino. I'll raise a glass to you tonight.

Fun read Kizmo.. Thanks for sharing.. I'm sure if that Black Yote is running around out there you'll find em.. Congrats and Good Luck..

Originally Posted By: weekenderI think Wile E shoulda made the picture, GREAT read, I enjoyed it, congrats on the fur that didn't get away

Here ya go...
ea599e3f-973d-4c31-bb36-e2c652e26faf_zpsecc62f03.jpg

Back