ATV shooting bench

1coyoteslayer

We shoot off our quads a lot at sage rats. Just wondering if anyone has made a good shooting platform that goes on an ATV.

0429121629.jpg

(i know i put this in the varmit section but not to many people look at that section tried to delete it but it woudnt let me.)

Cycle Country used to make a shooting bench that attached to the receiver hitch. But they were bought my Kolpin and dont know if they still offer the gun rest/seat/swivel combo. If you can get a hold of one of engineers that worked for Cycle Country before the buyout is located in Spencer,IA they might be able to get you in contact with one.

Like this

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/22/460/20545/ITEM/Cycle-Country-Shooters-Kit.aspx

but has an additional plate that hooks up to a hitch. Send the picture to them they might still have parts for it.

The best one that I ever saw was a platform that mounted over the ATV. When you got to where you wanted to shoot (level ground, natch) you climbed up with your rifle and shooting sticks (or bipod) and opened season.

I remember it being carpeted and it was perhaps as big as 4x8' sheet of plywood. The extra few feet up in the air really gave the shooter a huge advantage as he was getting shots on prairie dogs that this hunting partners could not make. It really was a pretty neat design I thought.

NV prohibits shooting from a vehicle. As in we're not allowed to be in the bed of a parked non-running vehicle. We can't sit on our quads and shoot, or lean on them as a rest when shooting.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: RustydustThe best one that I ever saw was a platform that mounted over the ATV. When you got to where you wanted to shoot (level ground, natch) you climbed up with your rifle and shooting sticks (or bipod) and opened season.

I remember it being carpeted and it was perhaps as big as 4x8' sheet of plywood. The extra few feet up in the air really gave the shooter a huge advantage as he was getting shots on prairie dogs that this hunting partners could not make. It really was a pretty neat design I thought.

you didnt happen to get a picture?

Originally Posted By: 1coyoteslayerOriginally Posted By: RustydustThe best one that I ever saw was a platform that mounted over the ATV. When you got to where you wanted to shoot (level ground, natch) you climbed up with your rifle and shooting sticks (or bipod) and opened season.

you didnt happen to get a picture?

No. This was on an old VHS tape of praire dog hunting that I had a few years ago. I gave it to a guy that I used to work with. It was so slick that I thought about making one for my Honda Rancher ATV but never did. But if I lived some place that I could use it all the time instead of just a week or two a year then that would be a different story.

With the 2 Y-shaped gun holders on the handlebars you mount a cutoff hockey stick wrapped with pipe insulating foam as a padded rest.

I use a portable shooting bench similar to the Caldwell BR Pivot. I made a simple bracket off the back rack of my ATV that allows me to just pick up my bench and slide it into the mount. Drive to the next place and slide it back off.
A storage box with all my shooting stuff rides on the back rack also. Completely self contained.

i got an idea to take a peice of emt electrical pipe mount it to the sides of my front box and it would then come up over the handlebars. With padding for a shooting bar type rest.

Originally Posted By: RiflemannWith the 2 Y-shaped gun holders on the handlebars you mount a cutoff hockey stick wrapped with pipe insulating foam as a padded rest.
You got me to thinking on that one. 1.5" PVC pipe with padding sticks in my thots.........

Last edited:
How about the idea of a bench carried on a smaller highway trailer towed with the ATV? This would be sorta like a mini "war wagon" we've seen in the ads. Just tow it to the dog town & set up shop. Then you have the trailer for other uses and can mix & match benches as desired.

I carry my "Buck Bench" portable shooting bench that I bought from Cabelas, on the rear rack of my ATV, it folds down to about 3" high and has a locking bolt so it stays folded flat, this works great for me. The bench cost about $225 shipped to my door. (This is the Deluxe bench)

Originally Posted By: EJ Reichenbach1coyoteslayer. I could see me breaking my teeth on that bar in a quick hurry.

haha there is going to be a lot more padding on it when all said and done.

Back