17 fireball forming

Originally Posted By: cherokee305If I neck down 221 fireball to 17 fireball will I need to turn the necks?

No.

The necks on the 17 Fireball chambers are very large. But test a case with a bullet in it to make sure.

Better off using 221 brass then attempting to make them from 223 with form dies and all that? I started down this road because of my huge abundance of 223 brass.

From 221 to 17 FB is the least amount of work, In my experience they leave a little to be desired. But then I'm not a fan of Remington brass.
The necessary tools for the transformation of something you have an aboundance of into something you can truely use and will in all likelyhood be of better quality,
can't be measured in dollers and cents. Now time consumption is a different matter.
The time involved will take away time you share with the littleone in your avatar and that you'll need to weigh for yourself!!!
Form dies, dremel or other cut off tool(hacksaw)neck turning tools, and don't forget the annealing process.
The time spent will make brass fit to your chamber dimensions and last a long time, properly maintained.
It's actually fun to make something you can use from something just lying around.

Originally Posted By: cherokee305Any advice for forming 17 fireball brass is welcome.

I don't know if this qualifies as advice but I have a .17 FB that I had built by Bob Green with a no turn neck mine is .204.

The factory Remington .17 Fireball brass that I have with a 25gr Gold seated in it the neck measures .200, which is perfect for the .204 neck of my fireball.

I necked down some once fired WW .223 brass by first running it thru a .221 form die then .221 trim die then thru my .17 fireball body die then thru a .17FB FL die(I know sounds like the long way around but I'm still waiting for my .221 to .17 FB form die) then seated a 25gr Gold and then measured the neck at .203 which for my FB I would have to turn the necks.

I have a Rem Mod 7 CDL in .17 FB that I havent shot yet If I get a chance I will measure the neck on it, but I will probly turn them just enough to clean them up anyway after I trimed them I measured the neck thickness and they were a little to uneven for me.

I'm waiting for some Nosler .221 brass should be here early next week I think it will make some nice .17FB brass

222 Remington magnum is the parent case, but some have used 204 brass and they work reasonably well, just about the same price though.

[/quote]
I'm waiting for some Nosler .221 brass should be here early next week I think it will make some nice .17FB brass
[/quote]

Nosler makes 221 Brass?

Last edited:
I think Norma actually makes it for them but yes Nosler has .221 Fireball brass it ain't cheap but The Remington brass is pretty bad

My Nosler .221FB brass showed up today, Very nice and consistent brass way better than the Rem brass I necked some down by running it into my .17FB body die then thru the .17FB fl die it was that easy, the necks (with a 25gr Kindler Gold seated ) measure .199 no turning needed know can't wait to try some out

Originally Posted By: BoonDocI have been told that if you form 17FB brass from 221FB brass the case will be a little short. Is this true?

Yeah... but not enough to worry about.

The 221 is 1.400" and the 17 is 1.410" The cases get longer when you neck them down, and get shorter when you form the shoulder - so it all works out in the wash.

Back