Remington Model 7 predator 22-250 will not shoot. Please help!

AubreyD.

I have a model 7 predator in 22-250 that will not shoot even close to moa. With the price of ammo and lack there of any information would be appreciated. I have tried about 10 different kinds of ammo none over 55 grain with the 1:14 twist on the thing. This is the third Remington 22-250 that will not shoot. Best group is 3.5 inches strung horizontally. Has anyone else had this problem. I have checked the stock to see if it is hitting or touching the barrel all is fine and screws re torqued to specs. Please help!

Group stringing horizontally sounds like bad trigger squeeze to me. Have you adjusted the trigger down from factory specs? In my experience factory pull is usually around 5 or 6 pounds which is way to hard for good groups for me. Just my .02s worth.!

Its not me. I shot my cz 527 with the trigger unset and shot 3 five shot groups well under .75 inches. Yes the trigger is set as low as it will go. I dont think its a speed thing either because I have shot some 36 grain and 40 grainers and was averaging around 4 to 4.5 inches all over.

What size groups do you shoot with other rifles? What size groups do you expect your rifle to shoot?To get THREE Rem22-250's that dont shoot is pretty crappy luck or something else is wrong.

Originally Posted By: AubreyD.I have a model 7 predator in 22-250 that will not shoot even close to moa. With the price of ammo and lack there of any information would be appreciated. I have tried about 10 different kinds of ammo none over 55 grain with the 1:14 twist on the thing. This is the third Remington 22-250 that will not shoot. Best group is 3.5 inches strung horizontally. Has anyone else had this problem. I have checked the stock to see if it is hitting or touching the barrel all is fine and screws re torqued to specs. Please help!

Couple things I had a question about.

Did all 10 different kinds of ammo string horizontal?

Is the scope a known shooter, and did you check the base and ring screws?

I would loosen the action screws up a little bit and see if the action kind of pops up, you have to do it slow and watch but if it moves up suddenly then you have a bind some where's and probably need to bed the action.

I've never had three remington rifles that wouldn't shoot let alone all three in the same caliber. Your luck sucks. Usually a trigger job, bedding and float the barrel and then they go under an inch with any rem bolt gun.

I am not saying I am the best off a bench but I can hold my own. With my .17 hornet I consistently shoot under 1/2 in my .223 is the same with the set trigger at 100 yards. The optic I have on it is a Zeiss Diavori with Leopold bases and millett rings. They have both been checked and are torqed to specs. No not all the groups are horizontal some are just all over. The best groups were strung horizontal. I have checked to see if the action is bound but isn't. I really want to like Remington's. I have given a few 700's as gifts and they all shot well. But the 3 22-250's i have had have been not great.

I added a couple of oil soaked business card shims onto the pressure pad in the fore end and mine settled right down and became a very consistent shooter afterward.

As far as how well I would like it to shoot moa is fine with me for a hunting rifle but the more accurate it is you wont hear me complain.

Take a close look at the crown of the barrel. A crown cut out of square can have odd effects on where the powder gas pushes the bullet. Re-crowning a barrel is fairly reasonable.

I had a Model Seven Predator in 17 Fireball, it's inconsistent groups drove me crazy. I took it to my gunsmith to accurize, you know float, bed, trigger all the good stuff. He said you don't want to float this barrel, it has to touch the stock. He showed me the two tabs inside the forearm that serve as the barrel rest. I was not a believer. I told him the story of poor groups and he said to add a piece of rubber gasket material in the forearm on top of the bedding blocks integral to the composite stock to ensure contact, retorque. I did, groups improved tremendously. It has worked on some other Model Sevens as well. Just sayin'

But does it seem odd you have to do all this stuff to the " Most accurate rifle out of the box" to make it accurate? What is with Remingtons quality control. The crown of the barrel is nice and round and smooth.

Originally Posted By: RonO.Take a close look at the crown of the barrel. A crown cut out of square can have odd effects on where the powder gas pushes the bullet. Re-crowning a barrel is fairly reasonable.

The chances of it being a crown problem are off the scale.

It is not a crown problem.

Originally Posted By: AubreyD.But does it seem odd you have to do all this stuff to the " Most accurate rifle out of the box" to make it accurate? What is with Remingtons quality control. The crown of the barrel is nice and round and smooth.

Over the recent years I have found some pretty amazing QA oversights in Remington Products, not so much in the latter half of the 20th Century. I once bought a 700 VLS that had over a 1/4" inch gap on one side of the barrel to stock and zero on the other side, I wanted it so bad I over looked that. Gunsmith floated it for me, wooden stock. Some can be salvaged into good shooters though.

I have since shifted to Brownings, come out of the factory with the barrel free floated, target crowns, action is glass bedded. Just my opinion...Good luck with it

Originally Posted By: AubreyD.I have a model 7 predator in 22-250 that will not shoot even close to moa. With the price of ammo and lack there of any information would be appreciated. I have tried about 10 different kinds of ammo none over 55 grain with the 1:14 twist on the thing. This is the third Remington 22-250 that will not shoot. Best group is 3.5 inches strung horizontally. Has anyone else had this problem. I have checked the stock to see if it is hitting or touching the barrel all is fine and screws re torqued to specs. Please help!

When guns shoot badly, it is usually a shotgun pattern - a 4" (or whatever) round group.

When they string shots in a predictable pattern, like horizontally, or vertically, it is usually a sign of a bedding or stock problem.

You said the screws were set to "spec"... what "spec"??

How much space is there between the barrel and the stock, all the was from the lug to the forearm tip? What is the smallest space.

Have you tried 50 grain factory loads? Some 14" twist barrels do not do well with 55g plastic tipped bullets.

I called Remington and got the torque specs for the screws in the stock to make sure they were not overtight causing something to bind. I have tried polymer bullets, soft point, hollow points, match bullets, non-lead in different weights and brands no dice.

Originally Posted By: AubreyD.I called Remington and got the torque specs for the screws in the stock to make sure they were not overtight causing something to bind. I have tried polymer bullets, soft point, hollow points, match bullets, non-lead in different weights and brands no dice.

Did they suggest that you send it to them?

Back