New Mountain Feist for Squirrel Hunting

iLOVEthehunt

I've been debating over the past couple of years on whether to get a Feist to use for squirrels. Squirrel hunting is my favorite kind of hunting, second only to whitetails. I took the plunge this year and got a nice female pup. I'll start training her in about a month on basic commands and walking on a lead. By January, I hope to have her fully treeing squirrels on her own. I'm excited to add this new dimension to my hunting. Now to find some new spots...

3d2c133c.jpg

Mountain Fiests are AMAZING dogs!!!!!!!!!! I love 'em. My grandpa used them when he was a kid back in the 40's for groundhogs and squirrels. They will practically climb the tree after a squirrel.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I used to hunt with a gentlemen who had two dogs like this. That was the most fun I have ever had squirrel hunting. I've considered one myself, but am afraid I wouldn't have time to work and train one. Thats a good looking pup, hope she works out.

Originally Posted By: bigbird243I used to hunt with a gentlemen who had two dogs like this. That was the most fun I have ever had squirrel hunting. I've considered one myself, but am afraid I wouldn't have time to work and train one. Thats a good looking pup, hope she works out.

I can definitely relate. That's whay I waited so long to get this one. I wanted to make sure I could take the time to train the dog right. A lot of time and effort goes into training a dog properly.

I got this pup for $150 which is about the going rate for a good dog that's not out of a champion. Anything out of a champion squirrel dog is usually around $300. A top notch squirrel dog that's fully trained and that has some competition wins can go upwards of $5k.

Good looking dog. Should provide you lots of enjoyment. I have an original mountain cur that I Beleive is going to make a decent squirrel dog. He defintley has the drive, but my time with him is limited due to work. My cur ran me 250$ iirc, papers and all that hooplaa that really dosent mean much to me..... I just hunt by myself for fun...... Keep us updated.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyGood looking dog. Should provide you lots of enjoyment. I have an original mountain cur that I Beleive is going to make a decent squirrel dog. He defintley has the drive, but my time with him is limited due to work. My cur ran me 250$ iirc, papers and all that hooplaa that really dosent mean much to me..... I just hunt by myself for fun...... Keep us updated.

I agree with you on the papers and hunt wins not meaning all that much. You can have a great dog out of no-name parents and you can get a lousy dog out of "champions". Some of the way those competition hunts are run can let a mediocre dog win big money. I like the story TreePro Kennels made about a young man's first experience at a competition hunt http://treeprokennels.webs.com/competitionhunting.htm

cant wait to hear how it does. my dog as part feist in him. try to be patient with them if its anything like mine was. i dident realy work with mine much i just let it run free around the house and figured if its got it then its got it. the first yr i dident even tree a squirrel with him. my second yr i took him 11 times and killed 67 to him. he has been a squirrel and coon treeing machine ever since

That is one very pretty Fiest pup. I wish you well with it and know you are in for some good times.

When I was a boy growing up, my Dad purchased a Fiest from a neighbor for $25. Imagine that, for a well-seasoned hunting dog. Times sure have changed. That little dog accounted for untold numbers of squirrels. She was a great hunter and lived to a ripe old age.

Many years passed and I dreamed of having another squirrel dog, but good dogs are both hard to find and expensive. But, I was always looking and hoping to come across a dog.

One time while at Wal-Mart, I noticed several people over on the side parking lot area, and a sign PAWS. They were trying to find homes for dogs and cats. Just out of curiosity and hope, I happened over. When I walked near, I noticed a black dog trying his best to get to one of the cats. He was barking and really wanting that cat.

Well, to make a long story short, I loaded him up and took him home. Later I realized he wanted to hunt and would chase most anything, even squirrels. After working with him for a while and shooting a few squirrels from him, he got better and better. Finally I had a squirrel dog after all those years - and for only the cost of a rabies shot.

Treeing1.jpg

Squirrel3.jpg

He sits on the porch and watches the trees out back

Dexter3.jpg

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
That is one very pretty Fiest pup. I wish you well with it and know you are in for some good times.

When I was a boy growing up, my Dad purchased a Fiest from a neighbor for $25. Imagine that, for a well-seasoned hunting dog. Times sure have changed. That little dog accounted for untold numbers of squirrels. She was a great hunter and lived to a ripe old age.

Many years passed and I dreamed of having another squirrel dog, but good dogs are both hard to find and expensive. But, I was always looking and hoping to come across a dog.

One time while at Wal-Mart, I noticed several people over on the side parking lot area, and a sign PAWS. They were trying to find homes for dogs and cats. Just out of curiosity and hope, I happened over. When I walked near, I noticed a black dog trying his best to get to one of the cats. He was barking and really wanting that cat.

Well, to make a long story short, I loaded him up and took him home. Later I realized he wanted to hunt and would chase most anything, even squirrels. After working with him for a while and shooting a few squirrels from him, he got better and better. Finally I had a squirrel dog after all those years - and for only the cost of a rabies shot.

Treeing1.jpg

Squirrel3.jpg

He sits on the porch and watches the trees out back

Dexter3.jpg

The cat thing is a pretty good indacator, as most squirell dogs hate cats with a passion. Me to, lol.

Shayne

Originally Posted By: NcWhitetailShe's a cutie.
I have been considering getting one. But, what I really need is a dove retriever/squirrel dog.

About 12 years ago when wanting a retriever, I purchaseda Brittany and taught it to do nothing but retrieve. He was retreiving doves, duck, and geese, before his first birthday. His only fault is he won't swim, so if duck hunting in a flooded rice field he's good, but if the water is deep, he's out.

As much as a Brittany wants to please its master, I believe with a little work, one would make a good squirell dog, IF it will bark on tree.

For a good squirell dog, several people around here use Border Collies, with an ocassional Australian Shepard in the mix. My only squirell dog was an Australia Shepard, and he was excellent. Even the wife liked hunting with him.

Shayne

Here's an update on this pup. She is now 9 months old and is learning well. She understands basic commands, "sit", "speak", etc. She goes completely insane on a caged squirrel and on squirrel tails. She still doesn't quite get the whole treeing part yet, but she is getting there. The hard part is consistently finding the time to get her in the woods. If I can get her to the woods over the next few weeks, she'll be treeing in no time. She is almost there, so looking forward to the season opener in September.

3gd3m23h65id5n85l8d3i2b.jpg

3k83ga3h25ec5kc5h8d3iad.jpg

Shesa good look'n little fiest, just something about the way they stand & the prick ears mades them look all business, bright little dogs also.

I have one & really havent spent the time in the woods with her as needed, she'll run them to the tree & once its up & outta site the game is over (but she did tree a deer today), but plan on work'n her harded in prep for this fall.

Hers a place ya'll mite like, anything cur & fiest you could ever want. http://www.sqdog.com/

Back