Baiting

Haven't had any action at my bait in over a month, I'd almost given up on it. Guys ran my block with dogs Saturday and Sunday, bait's been hit almost every night since. I've dragged it back in front of the sensor twice. I think it may have stressed them a little and forced them to look for an easy meal.

Small female DRT

100_0320_zpsbd9824d9.jpg

Nice going Pmack. Baiting is more work I think than calling, but about the only way to get a yote here in the mountains. Sometimes it's a long wait between kills.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI'll give you the two coyotes if you'll take that possum to DC where he might run some of the skunks off the carcass. Lol
SillyLaugh.gif

Got plenty of action at bone pile but it is all at night. Started another bone pile closer to porch. Maybe I will get lucky soon. Have some pics I need to post of visitors. Got a red fox that comes by pretty often also. Had a dead horse out and 2 dead cows with no activity on them for the last 2 weeks. Maybe this storm will put them on the bait. 100 pages!!!!!! great site!!!!!!

well done weekender and pmack.
i went and checked my bait and they have been coming in regularly. i will have to try and get out soon. i have had a bobcat, fox, coons and coyotes all at my bait this year.
here are some pics.
PICT0266_zps376ffdc1.jpg

PICT0269_zpse3878be8.jpg

PICT0278_zpsbd96b2f9.jpg

PICT0303_zpsd972364f.jpg

PICT0318_zpsf9d9ce85.jpg

PICT0319_zpsa8101e0f.jpg

PICT0397_zps099c50b9.jpg

PICT0399_zpsd3e8432b.jpg

PICT0661_zps5d2ab05c.jpg

PICT0085-1_zpsbc52c46c.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics Preddhunter. I've gotten more pics than game.

We had a few bait sites we tried this winter. Coyotes rarely came right up to the bait, but were sometimes recorded by trail cam in the background. These critters seemed to show up almost immediately after setting out bait and usually stayed with it until all the bait was gone.
Mar4055_zpsb09875b1.jpg

When I tired of feeding the fishers last week I didn't bother to re-bait, but left the camera set up. This big guy was one of the visitors that showed up.

Bush35024_zps4405c1ae.jpg

Hey guys,

Those are some great photos.

Trail cameras are just plain fun and probably keeps most of us going when the coyote hunting is slow.

Here's a few video clips from this season. This camera is set low to the ground and close to the bait.
I have another camera watching at a different angle.

Click the photos to see video

Great shots everyone - especially like the fisher. We actually have a short season on them here, would like to get one for a mount someday...

Have a few of my own to add in. No trace of any yotes still since the last one I took a few weeks ago, but the fox has been coming in every night. Here's a recent movie of it - notice anything unusual?

One of the 3 bobcats has also been back a couple nights. Haven't seen any sign of the other two, guessing maybe they broke up the family unit by now.

Yea, trail cams are are a lot of fun, always look forward to checking out the memory card for surprises.

Lefty: Do you have a hunting season on fishers?
Here in Mass. there's a short trapping season in November for them, but no hunting season. They're really active around bait sites. It only takes a day or two for them to find the bait and then they either eat it there or take it away until it's all gone.

It's amazing how tough they are, I don't know how he avoided the dog guys. I've stopped twice to talk with one of them the last 2 days to find out if they had taken one this year with a bad leg but couldn't get a hold of him. My son dinged this guy last year late Februry or early March. I hadn't gotten a picture since last April but knew it was him by his limp. Other than his leg he is one healthy dog.

Here's last years video

#2 DRT
100_0324_zps90db0ea1.jpg

100_0328_zps5e8748cc.jpg

It is indeed amazing how tough they are. I had one earlier that I called Tripod, that was missing an entire right rear leg. Seemed to get around pretty good.

I haven't seen Tripod for quite a while and I suspect deer hunters got her.

Duckstopper - we have a two month daytime season for them, December - January, with a seasonal bag limit of 10 per hunter. Sure wish we had a bobcat season here. Think the main reason we don't is that we have a small growing lynx population which is protected, and the concern is some would fall to bobcat hunters?

Originally Posted By: weekender I had some luck. Some good, some not so good. My wife had a cheapo driveway alarm and I put it out on my bait. The bait is 100 yds from the house. We tested the alarm and it seemed to work if we had the base unit in the window on the same side of the house as the bait. Dark came and we were processing a hog I had killed inside. Here is the bait, before we got the hams, shoulders and back straps off of it.

Gregwhiteleggedboar2-24-13_zpsf1fdf46b.jpg

We had finished up with the meat processing about 8:30 and I was going to take the scraps out and set them on the porch until morning when I would put them on the bait pile. I opened the door and stepped out on the porch and in the dim light I was sure I saw a coyote down at the pile. I eased back inside and told my wife to mute the TV and get the binos. She did and said "yep, there is one on it". The alarm had not worked but we had lucked into seeing this one. I eased the window open and got the sand bag positioned. I was using a Henry lever .22 mag and wanted a head shot. I took my time and squeezed one off and you could cleary hear the bullet THUMP!. DRT, not even a flip of the tail. I waited a bit and retrieved the 29 lb. female.

Gregcoyote3-4-13_zps737b3592.jpg

At around 2:40AM the alarm sounded, my wife heard it I didn't. She got up and checked and sure enough another one was there. This is where I am suppose to say "I went down stairs and turned the alarm off" but I skipped that part. I eased the window open but I think he heard me. The yote got very neverous and was moving all around. I could have body shot him but I have already lost 2 to what I am sure was killing shots to the chest with .22 mag. but couldn't find them. One crossed the property line where I couldn't go leaving a good blood trail, the other hit a cut down with 10' high briars and the bottom fell out raining as soon as I pulled the trigger. It was like I shot a hole in the sky. Couldn't find blood on that one. Back to realtime, I bet 06 can guess what happened next, BEEEEOOOP! The alarm sounds again and he heard it, and that was enough, see ya!

Since this is the baiting section, I guess I can show one of my hog setups, I hunt them with a bow by choice, you can use any weapon on private land year round, even at night with a bow and for about 4 months you can choose your weapon.

PICT0057_zps88d00034.jpg

Great pictures
thumbup.gif
man I love hog hunting. I shot my first one in TX last year and I must say it was great eating. 178lb boar

Originally Posted By: J.Markpredhunter, Is it true your coyotes will hit 70 lbs.?

I have herd of many that say they have 50lb coyotes but never seen one that tiped the scales to 50 myself.

Back