Accurizing Browning BAR .243

Layoutman

I've never accurized a Browning BAR. My usual prep of free floating the stock is mute on a BAR.

Is the BAR sensitive to torque on the forend screw? Are there any aftermarket trigger options?

I've loaded for several 243 bolt guns so I've got lots of bullet / powder options. Where should I start with loads since seating depth is going to be an issue?

Think the twist is a 1 in 9 1/4". Guessing that would be fast enough to stabilize 95 gr bullets.

Midway should be delivering small base 243 dies.

What am I missing / any tips ?

Have a friend who shoots the silver and blue box of federal 80gr psp out of his with decent accuracy. He has shoot some of my 85gr Bthp Sierra reloads and got decent groups as well.

Originally Posted By: LayoutmanI've never accurized a Browning BAR. My usual prep of free floating the stock is mute on a BAR.

Is the BAR sensitive to torque on the forend screw? Are there any aftermarket trigger options?

I've loaded for several 243 bolt guns so I've got lots of bullet / powder options. Where should I start with loads since seating depth is going to be an issue?

I have a BAR LW Stalker in 308 Win. I have not noticed the
fore end screw changing POI, on mine. I measured the throat
on mine, with a Stoney Point Modified Case tool, and didn't
measure a long throat, IIRC. There are no after market
trigger options that I am aware of. I have heard of some
smiths that will do a trigger job on them. I polished
the mating surfaces on my fire control group, and that
took the gritty feel out of it. It still is a bit heavy,
with just a touch of travel, but it is smooth. I have no
problem shooting MOA with most loads I have tried. I
have a 150 gr. Combined Technology BT load, and a 130 gr.
Barnes TSX load, developed for my Striker, that both shoot
sub-MOA groups.

My recommendations are: Don't over think the BAR. Don't
expect match accuracy, but it should be plenty accurate for
hunting coyotes and deer. If you can't measure the chamber,
start loads at .1 less than magazine length, and work COL up
from there. Barnes bullets like to jump to the lands, so
they can be a good choice in the BAR. The trigger can be
marginally improved, but don't expect a crisp trigger at
1.5 lbs.

I love my BAR for deer hunting. It is a soft shooter,
plenty accurate for back straps on the grill, and if
you really want to crunch a coyote, I have a 110 Gr. VMax
load that isn't fur friendly...But spinners are VERY rare.
thumbup1.gif

Squeeze

My bar 243 is shooting .37 inch groups with Hornady moly coated 58 grain bullets.

I just need the trigger worked on. It had a bunch of take up. The creep after that is working out with use.

Originally Posted By: SqueezeOriginally Posted By: LayoutmanI've never accurized a Browning BAR. My usual prep of free floating the stock is mute on a BAR.

I have a BAR LW Stalker in 308 Win. I have not noticed the
fore end screw changing POI, on mine. I measured the throat
on mine, with a Stoney Point Modified Case tool, and didn't
measure a long throat, IIRC. There are no after market
trigger options that I am aware of. I have heard of some
smiths that will do a trigger job on them. I polished
the mating surfaces on my fire control group, and that
took the gritty feel out of it. It still is a bit heavy,
with just a touch of travel, but it is smooth. I have no
problem shooting MOA with most loads I have tried. I
have a 150 gr. Combined Technology BT load, and a 130 gr.
Barnes TSX load, developed for my Striker, that both shoot
sub-MOA groups.

My recommendations are: Don't over think the BAR. Don't
expect match accuracy, but it should be plenty accurate for
hunting coyotes and deer. If you can't measure the chamber,
start loads at .1 less than magazine length, and work COL up
from there. Barnes bullets like to jump to the lands, so
they can be a good choice in the BAR. The trigger can be
marginally improved, but don't expect a crisp trigger at
1.5 lbs.

I love my BAR for deer hunting. It is a soft shooter,
plenty accurate for back straps on the grill, and if
you really want to crunch a coyote, I have a 110 Gr. VMax
load that isn't fur friendly...But spinners are VERY rare.
thumbup1.gif

Squeeze

With the fur prices the way they are right now. I doubt I will be using a 243 unless its on some of my long range sets. The 17 remington will get the nod on anything under 200 yards.

I'm a little anal retentive in the fast that if I can get another 1/2 " worth of accuracy my time is well spent.

Anymore load recommendations for the bar? Something using IMR3031 - Varget - H4350 the bolt guns I've loaded for seem to like those powders.

Originally Posted By: LayoutmanI've never accurized a Browning BAR. My usual prep of free floating the stock is mute on a BAR.

Think the twist is a 1 in 9 1/4". Guessing that would be fast enough to stabilize 95 gr bullets.

Midway should be delivering small base 243 dies.

Have you even shot the rifle yet? Don't go fiddling with it until you shoot it with a variety of loads. My bet is it will surprise you with the accuracy. You don't need small base dies, but I guess they won't really hurt anything either. Any accurate handload recipe for the .243 should give good results in your rifle also. You can use the Google Custom Search for some fairly recent BAR discussion in the archives.

Originally Posted By: GC Have you even shot the rifle yet? Don't go fiddling with it until you shoot it with a variety of loads. My bet is it will surprise you with the accuracy.

+1. My .30-'06 BAR shoots under 1 inch with factory loads. The action is plenty accurate. The biggest impediment they have is their trigger, not their action.

Originally Posted By: KizmoOriginally Posted By: GC Have you even shot the rifle yet? Don't go fiddling with it until you shoot it with a variety of loads. My bet is it will surprise you with the accuracy.

+1. My .30-'06 BAR shoots under 1 inch with factory loads. The action is plenty accurate. The biggest impediment they have is their trigger, not their action.

My BAR Safari II 30-06 will also shoot around 3/4" with Hornady Interlock 150 grain factory loads. It shoots my 180 BTSP over 58.0 RL-19 into around 5/8".

I have done no modifications to the rifle other than Leupold base and rings with a Nikon scope.

I have noticed that the torque on the forearm screw can effect group size. I had a BAR 300 win mag and disassembled it for cleaning then put it back together. When I went to shoot it I noticed that the groups had gone from just under 1" to about 2". All I did was tighten the forearm screw alittle and the group shrunk back to 1"...

Back