Thoughts on The TC Pro Hunter/ Encore

I have 3 Contenders, lots of fun. One is set up with a 16 1/4 inch .223 barrel and a folding stock. Fits inside of my day pack when I don't want people to know I am out hunting. An awesome little stealth rig, packs like a pistol, shoots like a rifle.

Steve

That's some fine shootin boys. I think I've made up my mind to give one a try. Probably buy it with the factory 204 barrel and go to the aftermarket for future upgrades. What is the consensus on the best performing custom barrel makers. Thanks again for all the input.

T

I have 12 different barrels made by Match Grade Machine and two others by Virgin Valley Customs for my Pro Hunter, all shoot sub MOA so don't listen to some of the experts on here. Try for yourself.

FWIW, I had three barrels for my Encore. The 257 Roberts and the .280 shot MOA or better out to 300yds. Took quite a few Whitetails and hogs with those two. My last was a .204 Ruger, it was terrible and never did shoot good with any load. All three were factory barrels. Ended up getting rid of it and sticking with bolt guns and AR's. I did like that even with a 24" or 26" barrel, it was a handy gun. I do agree with one the earlier posters that they are a bit overpriced. Good luck

A "bit" overpriced!!??!! For about the same price as
the Pro Hunter, I got the following for a switch barrel:

Marlin XS7
Custom muzzle loader barrel
Criterion 7mm-08 barrel
Boyd's Laminate stock

If one does not need a ML barrel, an extra CF barrel would
have been a little cheaper yet.

I have a couple Encores. Have a mid-late '90's .25-06 barrel
that gets wonderful shotgun groups. Virgin Valley Custom Guns
went out of business, but I managed to get a .50 ML barrel and
a Tactical 20 barrel. Both are great shooters, and the Tac 20
actually does give me 1/2 MOA groups, doing better than a couple
of my bolt guns. My experience is that the factory barrels are
a disappointment, while the custom barrels, because of the extra
lug work, are even more expensive than customs for bolt guns.
However, I will NEVER buy another TC factory barrel. Their
attitude for "satisfaction guarantee" was that they were
plenty satisfied with my money and I should be happy with no
better than 4" groups with such an accurate round as the
.25-06.

NEF on steroids and way over priced. I'll take my bolt anyday.

If I am going to shoot something that is not that accurate, I want a quick follow up shot. For the price of a TC, I'll take an AR anyday.

My buddy just got a new barrel for his in a 300 win mag. We will be shooting soon enough. I will be shooting my Remington 700 300 Ultra Mag. I think he will be dissappointed with the results.

Love my encore. I have a ml barrel, bergara 243 win and MGM 6.5 creedmoor that all shoot awesome. Plan on getting a 22-250 barrel for coyote hunting for the longer shots when I don't have my ar

Originally Posted By: NaberThat's some fine shootin boys. I think I've made up my mind to give one a try. Probably buy it with the factory 204 barrel and go to the aftermarket for future upgrades. What is the consensus on the best performing custom barrel makers. Thanks again for all the input.

T

I may be jumping in here a little late,...owning 4 prohunters, let's just say I'm a fan!
I've got, in Thompson barrels, a 6br, .308, 25-06, .204 and two .50 cal front stuffers,..all of which shoot sub moa (yes, even the muzzleloaders) and recently got two barrels from MGM in 6.5x47 and 17 Hornet,..both definitely have a slight edge in accuracy and fit over the factory barrels, but are significantly more expensive. Pay attention to your cheek weld and forearm placement on the front rest when you bench shoot and fiddle around with your loads until ya find what the barrel likes,...and you'll do fine. Do I have my share of bolt guns that will shoot better groups on the bench? Yep....do my Encores still land up getting 75% of the field time every season.....yep!

Originally Posted By: NaberOk, so it looks like they might not be the most accurate but what are you guys grouping like on the bench? Aren't they guaranteed to be sub moa as well. If so MOA should work fine, most of the time It's all I'm capable of anyway. Mabey I should stop trying to talk myself into this, they hold so sweet though.
T/C Custom shop barrel in 6mmPPC shoots 5 shot groups between .15"-.25" @100
Match Grade Machine 17 Remington barrel averages .25" 5 shot group @100
Factory 375 H&H barrel shoots 3/4" 5 shot groups @100
Custom 6.5x47 Lapua barrel shoots .21" average over a season of short range benchrest
These can be very accurate if you spend some time messing with them. Factory barrels are hit and miss but sometimes you get a real good one. Most aftermarket barrels are decent. Triggers need to be reworked if you want to be able to shoot them well.
5vb1mx.jpg

Originally Posted By: NaberThat's some fine shootin boys. I think I've made up my mind to give one a try. Probably buy it with the factory 204 barrel and go to the aftermarket for future upgrades. What is the consensus on the best performing custom barrel makers. Thanks again for all the input.

T
Match Grade Machine and Bullberry machine a decent barrel with a straight throat and chamber. There are several small one man shops that will make one to order with your choice of barrel blank, contour, etc. These are the ones I have the best luck with. If you can find an OTT barrel in a caliber you like, buy it at any cost.

Originally Posted By: mnshortdrawOriginally Posted By: NaberOk, so it looks like they might not be the most accurate but what are you guys grouping like on the bench? Aren't they guaranteed to be sub moa as well. If so MOA should work fine, most of the time It's all I'm capable of anyway. Mabey I should stop trying to talk myself into this, they hold so sweet though.
Custom 6.5x47 Lapua barrel shoots .21" average over a season of short range benchrest

5vb1mx.jpg

Man that goes after a critter like that with an Encore "single shot" says it all,...nice dude...I'm jealous!
What twist is your 6.5 lapua? My MGM is a 9 twist and really starting to like 120gr Sierra's over RL-15

Last edited:
Well I just bought a pro hunter xt. I havent got to shoot it yet but from the videos that I seen on youtube they seem to shoot well. I have a T/C Triumph and it has atleast 20 whitetails under its belt. My furthest one I shot was this year at 212 yrds. It is a very accurate weapon. The Pro Hunter is suppose to be T/Cs top muzzle loader so I decided to give it a try. I plan on getting a rifle barrel for it. For now though im just going to be using the muzzleloader barrel for it.

Since I live in Illinois and we cant use rifles for hunting deer this is the next best thing. If its anything like my Triumph then it is worth the money. For now my Triumph is the best gun I own because it has put more meat in the fridge then any of my other guns.

I have alot of respect for T/C. I seen where someone said that T/C rifles were not very good and thats horse pucky. My buddy has a T/C venture in 204 and that thing is one accurate gun. I know his shoots like dime hole groups at 100. My Triumph shoots sub MOA at 100. So im intrested in what this Pro Hunter will do. I will post results when I get it out. Im waiting on my scope and good weather. Once everything falls into place I will post results.

Bench rest shooting is crap anyways. Your never going to be in that perfect bench rest position on a hunt unless your using a field pod!!! Which I do. Anyways you should practice shooting like you would if you were in the field. Now if your zeroing a scope by all means bench rest. If you practing for that big buck. Shoot how you would if you were hunting it. Besides locking a gun in a vise and just pulling the trigger is not shooting thats cheating.

Back