Baiting

Thanks DoubleUp for the link. I had forgotten which page that was on.

Weekender and J.Mark, good luck and keep us posted.

well i havent posted in a while...mostly because its been dead slow up here this year i've been calling average of 1-2 nights a week and sitting at my camp every friday and sat this whole month...
anyway 2 weeks ago i shot at a grey fox at my bait and got litterly 5 drops of blood in the 1/4 mile a tracked it( found out the hard way R 2 stage triggers suck on moving targets, new gun) . then last weekend a red came in and i totally pulled the shot and missed! uhg. then this last thursday i went to check on my bait and found the first set of yote tracks that have been near the bait all winter, so i went up that night and just before dark the same red i missed came in @150 yds with the .243 he was dirt...messy. then saturday am just as it was starting to get light the alarm went off. the coyote was on the bait. 110 yd shot, bang -flop!
fox22813.jpg

coyote3213.jpg

unfortunatly the .243 wrecked the hide on the fox and the coyote hide wasnt in good shape, he appeared to be a old male teeth were all chipped and worn....he ate his last venison meal!

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpCongrats on the kills. The coyote doesn't appear in very good health with the poor coat in that cold climate.

agreed...i dont what but something is up with them in this area....this is only the 2nd yote ive seen this year/1st on the bait. i snowmobile and when out and about i have been seeing very few yote tracks, in my opinion the population took a big hit this year, not sure why maybe heart worm ? or some other K9 type of sickness, im seeing more foxes this year. in years past id see 10 yotes to 1 fox. good for the deer herd, bad for my winter time fun!

Originally Posted By: deerslyr1
this is only the 2nd yote ive seen this year/1st on the bait. i snowmobile and when out and about i have been seeing very few yote tracks, in my opinion the population took a big hit this year, not sure why maybe heart worm ? or some other K9 type of sickness, im seeing more foxes this year. in years past id see 10 yotes to 1 fox. good for the deer herd, bad for my winter time fun!

Same thing here. I've seen more fox this year than in a long time, but few coyotes.

Do you want them in various colors? Colors will cost more than basic. You know the going price already. I'm not sure UPS can handle them, so shipping will have to be worked out. Lol

Well black isn't basic. Black is classic and classic is expensive, but I can provide you with a matching pair in black if you choose. Brown is basic, and basic is cheaper than classic, but not cheap. Still I can provide you with several shades of brown basic, but not brown classic. Black is classic, white is classic, and red is classic, but brown is just basic. Even two tone brown is still basic and two tone is a real deal. Two tone could be the deal maker because it is still just basic. Can ship tomorrow. We could even make you a package deal of classic and basic or simple mix and match.

I had some luck. Some good, some not so good. My wife had a cheapo driveway alarm and I put it out on my bait. The bait is 100 yds from the house. We tested the alarm and it seemed to work if we had the base unit in the window on the same side of the house as the bait. Dark came and we were processing a hog I had killed inside. Here is the bait, before we got the hams, shoulders and back straps off of it.

Gregwhiteleggedboar2-24-13_zpsf1fdf46b.jpg

We had finished up with the meat processing about 8:30 and I was going to take the scraps out and set them on the porch until morning when I would put them on the bait pile. I opened the door and stepped out on the porch and in the dim light I was sure I saw a coyote down at the pile. I eased back inside and told my wife to mute the TV and get the binos. She did and said "yep, there is one on it". The alarm had not worked but we had lucked into seeing this one. I eased the window open and got the sand bag positioned. I was using a Henry lever .22 mag and wanted a head shot. I took my time and squeezed one off and you could cleary hear the bullet THUMP!. DRT, not even a flip of the tail. I waited a bit and retrieved the 29 lb. female.

Gregcoyote3-4-13_zps737b3592.jpg

At around 2:40AM the alarm sounded, my wife heard it I didn't. She got up and checked and sure enough another one was there. This is where I am suppose to say "I went down stairs and turned the alarm off" but I skipped that part. I eased the window open but I think he heard me. The yote got very neverous and was moving all around. I could have body shot him but I have already lost 2 to what I am sure was killing shots to the chest with .22 mag. but couldn't find them. One crossed the property line where I couldn't go leaving a good blood trail, the other hit a cut down with 10' high briars and the bottom fell out raining as soon as I pulled the trigger. It was like I shot a hole in the sky. Couldn't find blood on that one. Back to realtime, I bet 06 can guess what happened next, BEEEEOOOP! The alarm sounds again and he heard it, and that was enough, see ya!

Since this is the baiting section, I guess I can show one of my hog setups, I hunt them with a bow by choice, you can use any weapon on private land year round, even at night with a bow and for about 4 months you can choose your weapon.

PICT0057_zps88d00034.jpg

That's great weekender. Sorry to hear the alarm didn't work first time. As well, the sound of the alarm is piercing on my receivers, and I assume that's what happened on yours, the coyote heard it and off it went. That's why I cut the speaker wire (actually DoubleUp did for me) and affixed a jack for a headphone or earbud.

One thing you might consider on the alarm is to do just that, cut the speaker wire, then wire in a 3.5mm female jack for a headphone. To have sound, there are lots of small speakers that have male jacks that would fit the receiver. You could plug it in for sound and then disconnect it quickly once a coyote is on the bait. Just a thought.

I have killed one coyote (head shot) with a .22 magnum at about 75 yards. I'm like you in that I don't feel very confident on body shots with that caliber, particularly at any great distance.

Looks like you have a lot of hogs down there too. That's great. Looks like it might be a bit messy getting the hogs out of there though.

UPDATE FOR DOUBLEUP: I've slept on it long enough and now have a offer to make. I will trade you (with a lot of reservation) one attack possum for one basic black, er I mean one classic black coyote. The only catch is you will have to come get the possum since he's too dangerous to transport via UPS or mail. Oh, and you could just bring that black coyote with you when you come and save me some postage, old buddy.

Here's a video of my attack possum in action. He's the real deal.

Click the on the photo to see the video.

Guys, you can tell the coyote hunting is very slow for DoubleUp and me
since we have to resort to such folly in order to keep some patience.

ok lefty, a little hog action
I'm going to post the story with the first one, then just some of out video links

How close is too close?

For my wife, this episode was TOO CLOSE. She was setup in a double bull 15 yds from one of her favorite feeders. She had both her bow and her .22 mag bolt action. Normally she shoots hogs with her bow but she wears glasses, shoots with a peep sight and has a difficult time in the last 15 minutes of light seeing through her peep. She can see a little better through her scope on the .22 mag. She was watching a couple 100 lbers and hoping for something bigger when a real nice 150#+ boar shows up. Before you click on the video, remember this is in the last few minutes of daylight and we know you can barely see it. However, I think you will be able to tell pretty clear what happened. She shot the boar in the neck. He hit the dirt with all four feet in the air. That didn't last long and he was what we call plowing right towards her blind. He could not get his front legs to work and was pushing his front end pretty fast, STRAIGHT for the corner of the blind. My wife bolts another round in and fires a second self defense shot just before the hog hit the blind. He hit hard enough to knock her camera tripod over. If we had not securely anchored the blind to the ground, he would prolly have been inside with my wife. She said in a text to me a few minutes later the her heart was still RACING from that encounter. She said there wasn't enough room in that little blind for both of them and she didn't know how she was gonna get out if he got in. We had a good laugh later, but I think it was more funny to me than her.

hers too

mine

Last edited:
Nice job weekender. You are a little past the extreme range without antennnas I expect. With antennas you should be able to put your receiver most anywhere in the house, so might want to move it to the bedrom where it can be turned off easily. I did the same thing last year as far as forgetting to turn the alarm off.

6mm06, because you're my friend and have done so many nice things for me, I'm going to give you your pick of the classic black coyote, and if you'll bring the attack possum here, I'll throw in one basic of your choice.
smile.gif

2black9reg001_zpsee357069.jpg

Deerslyr, What a nice fox.I shot a ton of fox with a 243 in the 70,s and 80,s. they were worth a day,s wages then and ruining fur realy sucked. I used sierra 85 gr. match bthp and if you kept it through the lungs only quarter size exits.If you hit bone you did alot of sowing.I was so good at sowing,that after I sold a pile of fox to Glen Amiot a fur buyer out of Grand Forks N.D. I told him to look closer at them.He couldnt see anything wrong with them,so I showed him all the ones with massive stitching.He was so impressed he hired me to sow blown up fur.I took the job,and boy did I sow.I made pretty good money.Wonder what ever happened to old Glen.He was a pretty big time buyer. Your coyote appears to have a pretty good start to the mange

I'm afraid to risk a trip with that attack possum. I mean, I don't want to be held responsible for that thing.

Weekender, nice videos. You guys really get into the hogs down there.

Back