Foxpro fur taker vest review

whitey21

So I got the foxpro vest in the mail today, and loaded it up with all my junk. I had a few people ask me what I thought of it so here it is. I will go ahead and put in my disclaimer in here. I am in no way an expert on anything much less predator hunting. Everything in this thread is my opinion of what I thought of this vest. Take it or leave it and feel free to put in your input as I am confused about a few designs implemented in this vest.

All predator calls hooked me up with this vest, and a catalog of stuff that I have to have now. Packaging was great and shipping was on time.
image_zps79422894.jpg

The first thing that caught my eyes was the pocket for the ecaller on the front left side of the vest. I didn't like the ecaller and the hand calls being in the same pocket with only a thin piece of mesh to separate them. I don't carry high dollar calls, but I don't want them rubbing against each other either way. I did like the tethers for the hand calls, because I hate wearing a lanyard. Also it seems kinda tight for the wildfire. I was thinking of getting the foxjack, but it doesn't seem like it would fit. If anyone knows if it will let me know.
image_zps9459e9c2.jpg

The ammo pocket on the front right side is well organized. I don't shoot an ar so the pockets designed for the ar mags are going to carry spare batteries. I don't like shell holders for fear that I would loose rounds after the elastic has worn, but this being in a pocket eliminates that worry. You have a holder for both rifle and shotgun rounds.
image_zps42381479.jpg

The pocket behind the ammo pocket is going to carry scents and gloves. Just a basic pocket.
image_zps737efd5d.jpg

The pocket in front of the ammo pocket is a small thin pocket. I don't know what would be kept in this pocket. I'm thinking hand warmers or license so I don't have to carry my wallet around. On the side there is a small water bottle style pocket with two pen pockets next to it. I don't know what this design is for. I couldn't fit my scent bottle in there; maybe my howler will go there.
image_zps5153f33b.jpg

On the back there is a true water bottle pocket with a bungee on it. I normally don't carry any water with me as I am not very far from the truck. Just to check it out I stuck my mojo critter in there. It is placed well to keep it from grinding into your back while leaning against a tree. The large pocket on back is plenty big for the mojo as well and much more. With just the mojo and a drag rope in this pocket I sat down against a wall to check how comfortable it was. It didn't make it uncomfortable to sit, but I could feel it when I was standing.
image_zpsaf58ce99.jpg

image_zps5925f8b7.jpg

Inside the vest there is two pockets on each side. Being a smaller guy I had a lot of extra strap from the adjustment so I tucked it in here. I don't have anything else planned for these pockets. Can't really think of anything for them.
image_zpsb612b42b.jpg

I haven't used this in the field so I can't comment on durability yet. With the gear in it and the vest on you wouldn't be able to put you arms by your side. This was weird at first, but I don't think it will be as noticeable in the field. I am sure after field use I will come up with a different arrangement of all my junk.

Maybe this has helped some of you to decide on your purchase. I will comment here after I have used it more on its durability.

I don't have this one, but I use a turkey vest. It works awesome. I use the pouch in the back to store my shooting stick, stool, and pad.. I can pack in seconds, works great!

Originally Posted By: jrcampbelldo you have to take it off to get in the truck?

I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet. Trying to give my spots a break from calling.

Of course they would go on sale after I have bought mine. I definitely would have done some things different on it, but I still can't comment on the durability yet until I use it a good bit.

I like my Primos Predator vest. It will carry more stuff than I should take in the field and I caught them on sale at Midway for $30.

I bought one a few weeks ago, i am still not sure if i like it. i am 6,4 280 and it fits tight. The pockets are not big enough for my Furry. but the seat is awesome. you have to take it off after every stand you cant wear it in the vehicle. all in all i would sell it if i found someone wanting one. so i guess i dont really like it. if it were made in sizes instead of one size fits most it would be great. just my two cents.

Whitey good review.
I am on my second one due to the bad stitching on the first. This one is doing a little better but still SO SO on durability. My fury fits in the left pocket but I too don't like it rubbing on my hand calls so I use the back pocket instead. I ride in the truck fine just by taking my fury out of the vest. The remote pouch is really goofy and is definitely not designed for remote with antenna. Wish there was a backrest of some kind but not a deal breaker. There is a lot of extra D-loops on bottom back and front shoulders that I'm unsure of the purpose other than added noise? Anyhow hope this helps add to it.

Passmore

Last edited:
Bought one that was poorly made. To foxpros credit they sent me one that was better quality for free. Just haven't found much use for it. A lot of the pockets are at a bad angle for me and I just doing carry that much around anyway.

Good review on the vest.

Quote:I don't have this one, but I use a turkey vest.

My buddy uses his turkey vest also. It seems to work quite well for him. Everything that I have seen from these mission specific predator vests have not convinced me that a decent Turkey vest would do the same thing. IMO, if you have one, you won't need the other. I bet the predator vests would make good turkey vests also. One advantage of the predator style vests though is that at least one of the companies make (or at least made) a snow camo model. That would be nice for blending into the winter wonderland even more.

Have had a turkey vest for a couple of years now. Lots of pockets and such. Figured out how to fill them pretty well. Even rigged up something so I can carry a hydration pack in the big back pocket. Seat and big back pocket are both pretty handy. I use it till it gets cold out, when I have enough carrying capacity in my coat pockets. Also, vest doesn't fit that well over a heavier coat. All in all, it works. Easy to use, fits a run and gun hunting style pretty well. Even allows me to carry camo net cover for setting up fast stands. I don't need a snow version because I don't wear the vest when it is that cold! I might plan a couple of things different if I were designing it, but overall, I have to give it a big thumbs up.

Back