Nikon Monarch vs. Vortex Viper?

Crusader

Okay guys, this kind of follows on my earlier thread about a prairie dog scope for 300 yards, relative to the prairie dog.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks again.

Last edited:
No experience with the BDC on prairie dogs. I did purchase the same two scopes. I have the Savage 12 LRPV in 22-250 with a 1:9" twist. I sent the Vortex back. It was a real nice scope but I thought the Monarch was simply brighter. I was curious about the Vortex with the 30mm tube but am very happy that I kept the Monarch. I have done box tests and it tracks really well. Just my two cents......

Originally Posted By: GerbsNo experience with the BDC on prairie dogs. I did purchase the same two scopes. I have the Savage 12 LRPV in 22-250 with a 1:9" twist. I sent the Vortex back. It was a real nice scope but I thought the Monarch was simply brighter. I was curious about the Vortex with the 30mm tube but am very happy that I kept the Monarch. I have done box tests and it tracks really well. Just my two cents...... I had a monarch with the BDC IN 5X20X44and I took it off and put a 4x16x50 viper in place of the Monarch, the BDC was too bold for use and the circles were much too big even for coyote hunting. RCM

Gerbs, thanks for the input. So, you're pleased with the plex reticle on your Monarch, you just use holdovers for longer shots on prairie dogs?

Crusader, I'm very pleased with the Nikoplex reticle. I use the target turrets for prairie dogs. I also put in my load information into the Nikon Spot-On software system that is free and got a yardage marker for where the crosshairs go from thick to thin. It worked out well with my zero and load that it came in at 302 yards. I use that occasionally but mostly the turrets. I really like the Nikoplex for the money, it's no Zeiss or Swaroski but still nice. I have a Monarch 4-16x42 with the mildot on one of my ARs and the crosshairs seem a little thinner on that model. Great scope but wanted more power for prairie dogs.

RCM, I have looked through those scope with the bdc reticle but not at prairie dogs. You're probably right, too heavy I'm guessing.

I bought a 4-16 Monarch. Looking back now and after shooting a rifle with a comparable Vortex I honestly wish I would have went with the Vortex. Not saying that the Monarch is a bad scope, but I was really impressed with the Vortex I used. Might just be my eyes but I thought the vortex was crisper.

The flip up caps that come with the Monarch are OK. Not great but better than nothing. I couldnt use them because the bolt handle on my R700 would rub on the cap. I upgraded to the Butler Creek ones and barely have enough room to not rub.

So hard to decide sometimes. The monarch isn't a bad scope for the money. I'd say you get what you pay for there. I think the vortex gives you more for your dollar. The 30mm tube actually does nothing for light transmission, it gives more room for internal adjustment, something to consider if you're planning on dialing in longer shots. More range of adjustment keeps you more in the middle of your scope's workings rather than straining on the fringe. Personally, having owned several monarchs and using Nikon monarch x binos for years as a guide I think Nikon "holds back" so to speak, meaning that while they make better glass, they don't really use it on the monarch. Then again, better glass... more $. As far as reticles go, I agree with other posts. Good luck!

I have had NIKON monarchs, I own boosts, and viper pst. The vortex is by far clearer. And warranty seems much better from what I've heard.

I own a monarch 4-16x44 and a vortex viper 6.5-20x44 and I hands down like the vortex a lot more. Plus it's got better warranty. The nikon is alright but it's not my favorite by no means. The monarch seems to be picky about my eye placement and I have to get in one peticular sweet spot to get full field of view. It is not any wear near the light transmission I get out of my vortex and def no wear near my leupolds. It seems that my monarch gets a foggy grey tint look when I get in low light condissions. I would sell it but I don't thin I can get much for it so I guess I'll keep it. I don't use the vortex much in low light condissions because it's my longrange groundhog gun but I did do a study on them earlier this year when my buddy was looking to buy a new scope. Now keep in mind that the price range and specs verries a lot in these scopes obviously. I took my leupold 4.5-14x50 vx3, leupold 3-9x40 vx2, monarch 4-16x44, and viper 6.5-20x44 and went down and sait in a drawl between 2 of my fields for the last hour of visible light all the way to black out. Have a target 200 yards out. Now these ratings are just based on visibility of the scope (not cross hairs because they are all set up for different types of shooting. All scopes were set on 7 power for fair comparison.

Placings
1st - 4.5-14x50 leupold vx3
2nd - vortex viper 6.5-20x44
3rd - leupold 3-9x40 vx2 (very closs to vortex and would of tied if it had 44mm tube probably. They had a 2 min differences between the viewable target time)
4th - monarch 4 -16x44 (lost good visibility of the target 5 mins earlier than ^)

All in all they are all good scopes! As much as others like monarchs I might have something wrong with mine idk. It holds zero fine and that's all I need it to do. The monarch is on my daytime coyote gun and still dropping them!

Good luck on your purchase, you can't go wrong either way really!

Thanks for the info.
I have several VX-3 LR/T's and Mark 4's.
Never tried the Viper yet!
I have two Viper HS LR 6-24x50 coming this way.
The XLR reticle is in the First Focal Plane.
I like a good MOA reticle in FFP!

What's with all the hate on Nikon's warranty? I just read Vortex's warranty and they are the same. Honest question

My 2 cents I would take a vortex scope over a leupold or a Nikkon any day, I have a vortex diamond back on my my Ruger American and a vortex viper on my 22-250 the diamond back replaced a leupold scope and the viper replace a Nikkon scope , and I can vouch for there warranty I had problem with the first diamond back not holding zero, I took it back to my local gun shop where I bought it and vortex sent me a new scope no questions asked, I haven't had a problem since and am extremely happy with both scopes. I plan on slowly replacing all the scopes on my rifles for vortex glass a I can or as funds permit me to.

Originally Posted By: ARGBWhat's with all the hate on Nikon's warranty? I just read Vortex's warranty and they are the same. Honest question

You could drop it off a cliff or run it over and Vortex will take care of it.

Originally Posted By: DogpopperOriginally Posted By: ARGBWhat's with all the hate on Nikon's warranty? I just read Vortex's warranty and they are the same. Honest question

You could drop it off a cliff or run it over and Vortex will take care of it.

Same with Nikon. As long as you physically have something to send them they will replace it.

That was straight from a Nikon rep two weeks ago.

I haven't sent a Monarch riflescope back for warranty work but I did send in two pairs of binocs back. Both sets had the right eye focus pieces not working properly. One was an expensive set and the other was a real small pair of cheaper Nikon. They fixed and cleaned my expensive pair and sent back a brand new boxed smaller pair in replace of the other one. This all took place in 3 weeks. Again, not riflescopes but was quite impressed when I didn't spend a dime on any of it.

Never had a Monarch, but for the money the Vipers are pretty nice. The only Nikon I own is a Nikon Tactical that came on a AR-10 I bought 7 years ago, now this is up in the Mark 4 territory. I do own 2 Mark 4's, so I can say that the Nikons are pretty nice in comparison in that category.
So I would say the Monarch's are nothing to sneeze at.

Back