Deadly traps

Originally Posted By: coyotenutMy dog was killed by a connibear trap put on our land by a tresspasser. If you are worried about killing a trapped animal, think about how you would feel finding somebody elses dog dead in a trap you set. I am not against trapping done ethically, just giving you something else to think about.

That is the key words, people setting traps on private property without permission are trespassers and poachers,sorry to hear about your dog and I'm glad you see that it wasn't trapping at fault, it was criminals.

If you can't walk up to a trapped animal and look Into its eyes before taking its life in the quickes humane way possible than you don't Need to anywhere near a trap or gun. Respect your game and if your gonna trap expect to encounter live , crippled and or suffering animals as things don't always work the way they should. I have a friend who shot a rabbit one day while we were out plinking and after only immobilizing it with his shot he didn't have the balls to go finish off the struggling screaming rabbit. After calling him a few choice names I hold him never to shoot at something he doesn't intend to finish. I dispatched the rabbit and will not go plinking again with him because of it. Grow some balls or get a different hobby I hear crochet is all the rage these days

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsTrapping with footholds is ethical, and animals caught in them relax and just hangout after they realize they can't get out for the most part.

If you don't want to use them, then don't, no biggie but don't question the ethics of those that do. Trappers have a hard enough time keeping their rights to continue to trap, and we don't need those that are ignorant to the truth of trapping questioning it for all to see. The antis do that enough as it is.

I never once questioned any trappers ethics. In one of my earlier posts I even said I was jealous that I couldn't simply do it. I read in the Minnesota trapping regulations that poisons were legal where permited and I read online about poison traps that were soposed to kill in seconds. So I came on here (with much already admitted ignorance) and asked about poison traps, then all h ell broke lose.

I have killed plenty of maimed animals from rabbits screaming and doing back flips to whitetails that were shot through the leg.

I've seen deer walking around with their lower jaw missing. I've tracked a buddy's wounded deer that had a broadhead cut the front leg to the bone, and when I spooked it from its bed it franticly jumped down a small mound of dirt and broke it good front leg. Seeing it try to get away after that has not and may not leave my memory, it was my worst hunting experience I have had. I killed it with a head shot no more than two minutes later, it was the only part of the animal I could see after it stumbled into a ditch. I could barely talk to my buddy the rest of the day, after making the crappy 60 yard shot that wounded the animal.

If seeing wounded animals does not bother you that does not bother me. Serously. I never once have said anything bad about any of the trappers I know of or any trapper I have talked to.

I know if I started trapping and see another small coyote or a fox in a foot hold with its leg broken and its paw flopping around I would have to sell all the equipment I just bought.

If you think I am less of a man for any of this, I could care less, you are a narrow minded piece of slime and what you think is as important to me as the latest celebrity gossip.

This archery season I passed on a 60 yard shot on the first Boone and Crocket buck I have ever seen. I have a Hoyt AlphaBurner and practice all the time at 80 yards, but I didn't like the shot because I was in a tree and he was down a hill. I never practiced at that angle over 30 yards. My buddies dad shot it with a rifle two weeks later. That makes me a man.

Most of this thread has been misconstrued. I think some people have added emotions to what I wrote when I meant no disrespect to anyone. If this was a face to face conversation we would all see this.

Once again... I don't mean any disrespect or have ever tried to disrespect any trapper or any of you.

Quote:.
If you think I am less of a man for any of this, I could care less, you are a narrow minded piece of slime and what you think is as important to me as the latest celebrity gossip.

Once again... I don't mean any disrespect or have ever tried to disrespect any trapper or any of you.

These two excerpts from your last post kind of contradict each other d't they? Funny, I don't remember calling you names. But whatever makes you feel special I guess.

Sorry I didn't mean to aim all of that at you. I meant that to whoever questioned my manhood, and that had nothing to do with their trapping. Only to do with someone questioning someones manhood over a forum...

It seemed like you thought I was questioning the ethics of trappers, which I have never done.

I was going to quote a couple other people but I couldn't figure out how to quote several people in the same post.

This was kind of what I meant by this whole type/text thing.

If anyone has any questions or comments my phone number is 763-248-5325. I work Mon-Fri 5am-1:30pm then I go to the gym from 3pm to around 4:30pm. I wake up early so dont call after 8pm central time.

Last edited:
nobody wants to walk up and see any animal with its foot all tore up from the trap..........thats why informed people take their traps and use a diegrinder with sand paper wraps and take the sharp edge off them when they aare new and then weld 1/8" round rod to the top and bottom of the jaws....then they dont have tore up feet and 99% of the time can let anything go they want and not worry about it being hurt.......what most people dont do is throw down poisned bait and let anything that bites it get killed......get some education....PERIOD!!!!!!!
rolleyes.gif

Actually, REID thank you very much for having some usefull information. I would love to find out more about the trap modifications you are talking about, I am a welder and work in a machine shop, any adjusting of these traps would be pretty easy to do and it would be great to try it out!

For the education part... thats why I came here, didn't work well though
frown.gif

Except for what you are talking about here.

soft jawed with round rod on the top only on a lil double coiled 1 3/4 with the jerk spring attached directly to the trap....they are harder to bed with the spring directly attached to the trap but always have the springs give regardless if the animal wraps up all your chain on trees or anyting else........yes there is blood but what u cant see is it was from him biting his toes and the trap hasnt even broke the skin and anyone who looks at this photo and this dogs paw knows full and well if i let this dog go he would have been fine....this lil trap wasnt set for a yote but a fox its just the yote got in it......

redyote1.jpg

redyoteft.jpg

another one of the small traps with a tow catch and not a drop of blood with the soft jawing done to the trap.......

cd1.jpg

perfect above the paw catch mark with a #2 Bridger soft jawed and round rod above and below the jaws and again the skin isnt even broke........

DSC03240.jpg

like NIKE.........just do it!!!!!!BET!!!!!!
thumbup1.gif

Thanks a lot. I like that spring idea. Its a slow time of year at work so I will make some modifications and buy some springs.

Any other helpfull modifications?

After finding out a guy I worked with trapped for years, he gave me some pointers. I built a couple snares with washer snare locks.

I set four on monday night just before a big snow storm. I knew they were in a good spot. I wasn't sure about my snare abilities but I went for it. I just pulled my first traped coyote out of the first snare I ever set! Beautiful golden colors female. The snare lock did its job, and it didn't look like the coyote struggled much.

The other three snares were "tripped" or nocked aside, whatever the trapper's term is, but a coyote walked right through all my sets. At least I got one! I made some improvements and I will see how things look ether next monday or on tuesday. These dogs seem to pass through this small area I am trapping almost twice a week, about ever four days there is fresh evidance of 4 or 5 coyotes moving through the area.

I wish I had some pictures. Skinning that dang thing was frusturating but I got it done with only making a very small hole right between the front legs, so no worries. I put it on a stretcher and everything went great. This turned out to be a larger female than expected the pelt ended up being 41" to the base of the tail.

Great looking pelt, and it helped this was one clean girl. No smell, no burrs, no bugs, no nothing.

Last edited:
Back