Turning Cased pelts

1Longbow

Ok is there an easy way to turn cased pelts ,from the stretcher to fur side out. I hope that makes sense. Turned a bobcat today to fur side out and I gotta tell you it was a struggle.

Im asumming you fleshed it properly. Most likly you waited to long. Just wait till the skin side is slightly dry ie just beyond tacky. Cased skins especially cats should roll over real easy. If you have air moving on the skin it should take less than 8 hrs before its ready to turn. The warmer it is the less time. At about 45 degrees with a fan I turn cats after 4 hrs or so maybe 6 hrs if I washed it.

Last edited:
Coyotes are a little thicker skinned so they take about 8-9 hrs with a fan at 45 degrees. Ive turned them after 4 when put up in a heated shed

fox take almost no time a couple hrs

This is with a box fan on med blowing on them. Without the fan it can take much longer.

Basically when the skin feels dry to the touch, and is still pliable turn it. throw a little borax on the arm pits and ears and youll be fine.

One way to avoid is to give the skin side a good bath in borax. Make sure the head, ears, and under the armpits are done real good with borax. Put on the stretcher fur side out.

If you discover you went too long do not try to force it and rip/tear the pelt. Partially rehydrate, borax and turn. Good luck.

if i dried fox to long id take them off the stretcher an rap them in a damp towel till i was able to turn,then put them back on the stretcher fur side out an slide a skinny piece of wood in the stretcher to help dry.

I haven't had to turn a hide in years. I do like NYCOYOTEHOUNDS said - coat the leather side with Borax and put them on the stretcher fur side out.

Originally Posted By: Jack KelleyI haven't had to turn a hide in years. I do like NYCOYOTEHOUNDS said - coat the leather side with Borax and put them on the stretcher fur side out.
same here. skip the flip. i also put a lenghth of lathe inside when using wire stretchers. opens them up a bit for more air flow.

Back