.243 Weatherby Vanguard

Rafter_P_Farms

Good evening fellas!

I've contemplated purchasing coyote/small varmint rifle in a 22-250 but i'm beginning to lean towards a .243 due the the fact that my wife and i are having a son this coming may and it will double as a good first deer rifle for him one day. What do you guys thing about a weatherby vanguard .243? I will most likely swap out the trigger for a timney and mount a redfield 4x12 on it. That combo prices to roughly $700. Yay or nay?

My son has the vangaurd in 22-250 and he loves it. 243 was his first rifle and he killed several deer with it. I would pull the trigger (even a factory one).

My howa .243 (same action) is an awesome shooting gun. Can't go wrong with the .243 and if you handload the 55 gr. bullets will do anything the 22.250 and then some

My father gave me one in 1976 . I was 20 and it has a few dings but shoots as good as it always has . Good value . Mine is the same as today's guns but with a claw extractor. I have 3 of the newer ones .

I'm a big fan of the Vanguards and wouldn't hesitate to purchase another. I prefer the fit and finish with the fluted bolt over the Howas. If you're shooting factory ammo who knows where these crazy prices and supply will settle out, might be nice to have a caliber that is so common and serves a dual purpose. Older models needed the Timney, I would shoot the newer ones first, they're pretty adjustable and you may be happy with the stock trigger.

I bought a 243 vanguard s2 and it shoots like crazy with the 87 grain bergers, I didn't like the 2 stage trigger so I replaced it with a timney, I also ended up pillar bedding the stock which shrank my groups even more, and it seemed to shoot more consistent, overall for the price they are tuff to beat.

i have had 2 vangaurds 223 and 243 both were real shooters i could shoot any factory ammo and they performed really well.best guns for the money in my opinion

I have a weatherby vanguard (1st series) in .300 Weatherby and I absolutely love it. From what I've read the new 3rd series is even better. I've shot everything from 180 gr SP to 110 gr V-max's and have shot 1-hole groups with all of them. I hand load, but weatherby brand ammo is just as good in it.

I also have a Rem. 700 in .243 and it's the most underrated multipurpose round. I load 58 gr V-Max bullets and it's the best (even better than 22-250) on coyotes. With 100 grn Hornady interbond bullets and they are deadly on deer.

Go for it with no regrets.

I have owned three Vanguards over the years and currently have one, a Sub-MOA model.

The Vanguards are well-built rifles, accurate and I love the smooth bolt. The triggers on all three of mine left something to be desired. But for quality and accuracy, they are nice rifles in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Rafter_P_FarmsGood evening fellas!

I've contemplated purchasing coyote/small varmint rifle in a 22-250 but i'm beginning to lean towards a .243 due the the fact that my wife and i are having a son this coming may and it will double as a good first deer rifle for him one day. What do you guys thing about a weatherby vanguard .243? I will most likely swap out the trigger for a timney and mount a redfield 4x12 on it. That combo prices to roughly $700. Yay or nay?

Good rifles. I have three and I swap the trigger for a Timney as well.

Only downsides for me is they can't be made uber-light and the .243 variety isn't twisted for the heavies.

Travis

Back