Affordable scope with dials/turrets?

geenhead93

I am looking to run dials at an affordable price. I was thinking about a weaver but don't know which model to get. What scope do you guys recommend?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Define affordable? That will make the suggestions alot easier to make.Other wise your gonna get everything from BSA to S&B.

You mention Weaver. Only two models I'm aware of with dials/turrets (that you do not need to remove a cap) are the Super Slams and the Weaver or Kaspa Tacticals. Between these, I'd recommend a Super Slam. Own a couple and they are very nice scopes. Optics are very good and the turret adjustments have been darn good for me. Only negative thing about them are their weight and lenght. Might bit on the heavy side if you want to put it on a light weight carry hunting rifle. As to lenght, if you have a very long action rifle with wide spacing between scope mounts like on one of my Savages. You may need extension rings for it.

Unlike the Super Slams that are made in Japan, the Kaspa series is made in China. Been little comments on the various gunsites I visit about them from an actual owner. What few I've seen were on the positive side and yep, a fair amount of negative comments about them being made in China.

Last edited:
All the weavers I know of have turrets, just most of them you have to take the cap off to expose them. That is what I do on my grand slams. It can be a little bit of a hassle at times, but on a prairie dog town where I generally shoot several times from one spot it is not a big deal to me.

Sorry I should have defined affordable. I am looking to spend around 350$. Do any of the weaver classic series have dials? U believe the Buck Commander also has dials. What do you guys think about the Weaver Classic Extreme Classic Extreme

Last edited:
I strongly recommend you consider the Vortex line of scopes. I initially had doubts about all the good to excellent comments I'd read on various shooting forums. When I was given a new Weatherby MKV 223, I decided to try out the Vortex 2.5-10 and I'm very impressed by the quality and durability.
They come in several price categories.

Classic Extreme models: made in Philippines like the Weaver 40/44s. Several gents I shoot with on a regular basis all bought at least one of them when Natchez put them onsale. They are not prone to purchase a low end scope and all have a favorable opinion of Weaver's higher end scopes. One had a problem out of box with his Extreme scope and it was immediately replaced by Natchez. Only other problem mentioned by the Extreme owners was the eye relief. LOL, only time I've heard someone complain about a rifle scope having too long an eye relief. Other than what I've mentioned, all thought it was a pretty good scope.

I use vortex vipers on my 204's great price 30mm tube,target turrets under the caps and lifetime warranty pretty hard to beat that

I just mounted a Leupold mark Ar 4x12x40 M1 and it is great for the money. I worked up some loads to match the turret and its dead on to 500 yds out of my R15

Check out Muellers. Not super expensive and excellent optics for the money. Weavers and the others mentioned by others are great scopes also, but the cost of what you get in a Mueller, dollar for dollar, outdo the rest.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunWhat you get is a fragile scope........

I'd not use a mueller on anything rough and tumble. And likely only a 223 or lower. They are great for rimfires. I had one (4-5-14 APV) on my 17 HMR with no issues. I only got rid of it to get turrets. I am likely going with a 4.5-14 APT to replace it.

For a center fire, with turrets, the V-16 is hard to beat. Also, I like the 6-18 BuckMasters. They're a real decent scope at an attractive price.

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 can be had brand new with a lifetime warranty for under your budget. The one I have played with tracks well and has good glass.

I'd also look into Hawke Sidewinder and TAC30 models. I've had good luck with them and many of my customers have been very happy with those two models.

My bushnell 10x40 mil/mil with mil dot reticle has been reliable on my ruger 300 wm and at 200$ on midway it didn't break the bank.. Just depends if a fixed power scope would fit your needs

Back