My Hunt with Tony Tebbe! (play by play -very long read - Pic heavy)

SouthTXBowhunter

2 weeks ago I had a chance to hunt with Tony Tebbe (TT) and Gunner. They came down to Sabinal, TX to give me a hand and, hopefully, make me more effective predator hunter. Here's a little background and the story of how it went.

Almost 5 years ago, when I took over as the ranch manager for Brushy Hill Ranch Bowhunting, I began to realize the 13,000 acre property had a serious predator issue. The ranch is both a cattle ranch and a “day-lease” hunting ranch that's open to the public, on a per day basis. After 14 years (at that time) of year-round bowhunting the predator population had exploded- the result of a steady supply of wounded game for them to prey on; not to mention, an abundant natural population of game and prey species. Even though we do not, normally, permit gun hunting on the property it became clear that something had to be done to begin to control the predator population. The owner, who acknowledged the problem after a number of hunters complained their trophy animals were devoured/destroyed within a couple of hours of being shot, gave me permission to begin hunting them during our “off seasons.”

I've hunted coyotes, off and on, since I was a kid in Wyoming; but I'd never really gotten very serious about it. It was more of an occasional pastime. All of a sudden, though, I was tasked with killing predators as a part of my job. Not that it was an unwelcome additional duty (it wasn't!) but I was, certainly, no 'master predator hunter.' That's when I joined PM, hoping to get some help and advice. One of the biggest challenges I faced was the fact that this south Texas ranch is covered with very thick (and thorny!) brush, with very few large open areas. Also, prior to my becoming ranch manager, our bowhunters were not prohibited from blowing calls. Lots of hunters who got bored on the stand decided to start blowing a distress call and, even though they might have managed to call in a coyote, weren't able to kill it. As a result, the coyotes had become extremely call-wary. One of the first things I did, after becoming the ranch manager, was to ban our bowhunters from calling for predators – we allow them to shoot any predator that happens by but we don't allow them to actively call. The result? They are killing about 10 times as many predators as before!

After a couple of years calling the property I was getting pretty frustrated. I was definitely killing some coyotes, but not enough; and it was just taking too many sets (considering the number we have) to get one in. I needed to be more effective. I needed some on-site help from someone a whole lot better than I was. Around this time I started noticing an increasing chatter about Tony Tebbe and the posts/suggestions I saw him make really seemed to make a difference. I reached out to him last year, in early January, about coming down to Texas for some hunting. Unfortunately, we weren't able to work out our schedules last winter. Fast forward to December. With whitetail season winding down, I decided I needed to find a way to make it work this year. After some messages back and forth on PM, emails and phone calls we set up some dates. The moon wouldn't be great but I still hoped I'd learn some things that would help me out.

Tony and Gunner arrived on a Monday, just before dark; after a 7 hour drive from New Mexico. After a quick meet and greet with the ranch owners I got him situated in one of the guest cabins and we started putting together his traveling high rack. By the time we had it together it was nice and dark but the wind was really picking up. I asked Tony if he wanted to wait until the following morning to get started (especially since he hadn't even had a chance to check out the ranch yet) but he said, “let's go hunting.”
8524978103_5aaaf2b14e_n.jpg
8526092788_de3dc0cb37_n.jpg

The first set we did, just off the road in one of our limited open fields, we scored a grey fox double. Gunner seemed excited to play 'recovery dog' on the second fox and it was awesome to watch him work – his focus on the action (especially in the dark) was amazing. Pretty good start considering the wind was gusting up to 20mph. Stand 2 was a dud but stand 3 brought in a big boar coon waddling up the caliche road. Any chance I get to take out a corn bandit is worth it! After a couple more dry stands, we decided to get some rest and hit it hard the following day.

The following morning, at daybreak, we headed to another pasture where I always hear coyotes but have a lot of trouble getting them to come in. We set up in a small clearing on a rocky knoll below a big hill and about 100 yards from a small tank (“pond” for non-Texans). I actually cut that clearing out, by hand, specifically for calling that area, about a year ago. After about 5 minutes of 'Nutty Nuthatch' on the Foxpro, Gunner's posture changed. The change was very subtle but, nonetheless, noticeable. You could tell that he sensed something. Suddenly, he took off and ran up a small dirt road next to where we were set up, and disappeared behind some brush. A minute later he reappeared looking back over his shoulder. Then he disappeared only to return- once again, looking over his shoulder. This time, though, he came and lay down beside us. No sooner had he returned, when a coyote let loose barking at us from just out of view. After a minute of him steadily barking at us from 40-50 yards away I wondered if he wasn't going to try circling behind us to see if he could figure out what was going on. I began getting turned around and ALMOST made it when he darted across on the edge of the brush line and disappeared before I could get a shot. Even though it didn't work out as planned, it was a really entertaining set with my first experience with a decoy dog. Right then I was HOOKED like junkie on decoy dogs!

We decided to try another nearby hillside, in the direction the previous dog had come from, since the howling (22+mph) would have kept the sound of the call hidden from a lot of upwind ground. At this point I started twisting Tony's arm to start hunting instead of just calling for me. As a hunting guide myself I'm well aware of the limitations guiding puts on your own, personal, hunting. I just couldn't let him do all the work without having some of the fun too. Besides, I argued, we'll be 3 times more effective with 2 shooters and my main concerns were: killing coyotes and learning, more than just wanting to shoot. After a few (half-hearted?) protests Tony agreed. Lol!

Stand 2 we had the high ground on a rocky hill with low brush leading down to taller brush. Tony covered one side of the hill and I covered the other. About 10 minutes into the set I spotted a coyote running in the tall brush below us, headed into Tony's area. I gestured to him that there was a coyote in the brush but he never saw him. A minute later I spotted it again, working it's way back the opposite direction; but, again, no shot. At one point I thought he'd come into the open to try and get down wind but then he turned and the last thing I saw was a tail disappearing into a small draw, headed away.
8524979173_4e1776c832_n.jpg
8526095950_b8d65fb0fb_n.jpg

The wind just would not quit. So, we decided to try getting down into some low spots- hoping that the wind wouldn't be so bad. I led us down into a dry creek bed where I thought there was a good clearing; but, after about 20 minutes of bush-whacking through some really thick stuff and not finding the clearing, Tony says, “lets just try it in here and see what happens.” Now, this winding creek bed is about 20 yards wide with dead trees laid over and high sides- about the tightest conditions you could imagine. Unfortunately, because we were looking for a clearing, we weren't carrying shotguns. We were thinking about bobcats but, after settling in and running the call for about 2 minutes (Nutty Nuthatch again) Tony spotted a coyote about 20 yards from me, in my lane. Somehow, this dog had come in directly opposite a tree and I didn't see him until he spooked on the decoy and took off at a dead run- an impossible shot with a rifle. Gunner went after him to try and decoy him back but that coyote just wasn't 'havin it' that day!

We moved again and, eventually, found the clearing I had been looking for in the same creek, about 1/3 mile down from the previous set. True to Tony's prediction, the creek offered shelter from the wind and the calling conditions were a lot better. After setting up we ran the Foxpro again and it wasn't long before a mangy coyote popped out looking over his shoulder. After waiting to see if we could get a double (assuming the dog was looking over his shoulder for his running buddy) he dropped. There wasn't an ounce of fur on his whole body and his teeth were totally worn out. It was a great coyote to kill. We don't, normally, have a big problem with mange but the unusually warm winter we've had (2 years in a row) has created a problem in some areas.

Things kind of shut down after that and by mid afternoon we were headed to town to eat and recharge for the evening hunt. We were hoping that sunset would bring a break in the wind. Especially since a friend of the mine (and the ranch) would be joining us for the evening hunt.
8524982421_bc53d7c66f_n.jpg

We slipped in one late afternoon set on an oat patch near the ranch office where some coyotes have been eluding me and my Foxpro for quite a while. It only took 3-4 minutes of Tony's mouth call to bring one healthy coyote running. The way he coming in I expected him to come in close so I waited on the shot but when we tried to stop him he smelled a rat and headed for the brush. Because I had let him come so far, when he made his dash for cover, I had to rush the shot and I smooth missed him. While Tony was chuckling at me another coyote popped up in his lane and he took the shot. The first shot spun him around and he took off as Tony followed up with a miss. Off goes Gunner in hot pursuit and, seconds later, we hear barking. We head that way and Gunner has that coyote bayed up. With a, “Gunner, HUP!!” Gunner backs away and Tony finishes the job.

As the sun set that evening the wind just continued to blow- just as hard as it had all day. My buddy Steve, from Michigan, joined us and we headed out to hunt a different part of the ranch. On the first set we were in an old field that's full of sapling mesquite trees. After about 10 minutes of Tony mouth calling we finally spotted a set of eyes about 250yds away. At first we thought it was a coyote but the slow approach made it pretty obvious that it had to be a cat. Slow but steady, the eyes approached; working its way across the field and over to a road along the edge of the field. Poor Tony was laboring to keep coaxing that cat in. He took a break just long enough to whisper, “let's see if we can get it in close, since it's been steadily coming in.” At 40 yards I just couldn't take it any longer and dropped it. A nice female. Time to move.

We made a few more sets with no eyes when Tony said, “This wind is really bad. Since we had good luck earlier in those creek beds, lets go call somewhere like that, where we'll get out of this wind a little.” So, we moved to yet another part of the ranch; where there was some really thick cover next to some big winter oat fields we have for cattle.

The first stand we made was parked about 35yds out in an out patch calling to a thickly wooded creek bottom. About 2 minutes in to a TT mouth calling sequence I picked up eyes on the brushline. In the lights it was obvious that it was a cat. Steve, who had never shot a bobcat, was in the perfect position. It didn't take much coaxing from Tony to draw him in to about 40 yards and Steve's AR barked. Cat #2 down and Steve was grinning ear to ear! Tony had spotted a ringtail cat up in a tree almost as soon as he'd started calling and, after the cat was down, Steve shot it with a .22 pistol.
8526097844_3fea4be632_n.jpg
8524984489_c22734521c_n.jpg

We made a couple of dry stands before we headed to a power line right-of-way that's got incredibly thick brush on either side. As soon as we set up and Tony started calling we had eyes. Grey fox. First one, then two. They were back in the brush but acting more curious than interested and then they ran across the open and there was NO stopping them- leaving us WISHING for our shotguns. Then another fox.... and another! All doing the same thing- darting back and forth without stopping. It was like the 'great tease!' Then Tony spots a cat just off the side of the truck. It was out of view of two of us, behind a bush. Then, SOMEONE (who shall remain nameless) took a shot with my rifle and...............missed! Then, that person blamed my rifle! LOL! Since I had missed my shot earlier, I was beginning to wonder; but that rifle is always Ms. Dependable. Nevertheless, we headed over to the ranch dump for a little late night redneck range time.

I found an old refrigerator and took a piece of camo duck tape from my truck, to make a target. After sticking the tape to a clean white side of the fridge, I paced off 50yds and sat down to see if my rifle was still zeroed. I lit up the fridge with my light and and sent one down range. When we checked it, the shot was dead-nutz. So much for us blaming the rifle! LOL!

From then on out, the hunting shut down for the night. Several stands produced nothing and we headed in.

The following day we slept in a little and I had some work to do around the ranch so we got a late start. We were planning to try out another property with a buddy of mine that evening but we had to wait for him to get off work. So, we decided to stay fairly close to the ranch office until we got the call to head out.
8524985227_b5b3600fe2_n.jpg
8524987737_4356d84354_n.jpg

Our first set was only about 300 yards from the office and our big barns, in a about 80 acres of brush straddling a giant oat patch and a river. There's a decent clearing in the middle that I hunted during whitetail season. Since they'd been coming in pretty close, I decided to take the shotgun and Tony took his AR. We set up about 20 yards between us and he started running the Nutty Nuthatch. Gunner, of course, chose to sit with his dad. LOL. It seemed like a dud and I was beginning to suspect it was time to move when I saw a nice coyote running along a dense treeline on the opposite side of the clearing, about 80-90 yards away. When he disappeared behind a bush I managed to get Tony's attention and let him know where he was. That dog just kept running up and down the tree line, refusing to leave it and commit. It was just too far for that shotgun. After trying to coax him in for a while, Tony dropped him. A great start to another day.

Our next set proved dry and, following a short call to my buddy, we decided to head to another area not far away. We planned to call a thick brush-covered hillside from a big open field but, because of my less-than stellar directions, we screwed up the approach. So, we decided to head up a narrow road leading from the field, up into the brush. We set up on the edge of the road at the crest of the hill coming up out of the field, We were hoping to get them out onto the road for a shot. Tony set upwind of me by about 5 yards with my shotgun (Rem 870 with 26” barrel and Dead Dog choke with 3” Dead Coyote T-shot) with the wind running down, but slightly cutting, the road. Once again, he started up the Foxpro and it didn't take long. BOOM! I hear Tony shoot behind me. He said, “He was looking at me back in the brush. I think I got him.” Gunner took off and disappeared. Tony set off some pup in distress and Gunner returned looking like he was in decoy mode but sat down next to Tony. About 30 seconds later here comes a pair. They run right out on the road and stand picture perfect about 50 yards away- one stand on the right side of the road and one, just behind him, on the left side of the road. I figured I'd take the right one and let Tony shoot the left one. I squeezed the trigger and.......click! WTH? OMG, are you serious?! I'd switched AR's (scoped to red dot) from the last set and I'd forgotten to load it! I tried to charge it and those coyotes stood for the whole thing- until I went to squeeze the trigger and before I could that dog had had enough and he left out into the brush right in front of him. Almost instantly the shotgun barked and the 2nd coyote was laying there with a face full of t-shot!

We wen't to look for the first coyote but didn't find him. Nonetheless, he had to be picking some t-shot out of himself somewhere back in the brush. The other coyote was laying right where Tony had flattened him. It was pretty amazing. At 50-55 yards he had taken almost the entire load of Dead Coyote in the face! A real testimony to the pattern that the Dead Dog Choke and Dead Coyote load can achieve. Needless to say, Tony was pretty impressed with the combo while I was suitably embarrassed by my absentmindedness! It was a really cool set, though, and it taught me a valuable lesson about how I can successfully setup in the thick areas that cover most of the ranch. Areas that I've long neglected to call simply because I thought there wasn't enough room to be successful. That one setup just about doubled my hunting ground! How cool is that?

We decided to go grab some food and wait on the call from my buddy to head that way. Besides, I needed to run home and feed horses and dogs since we'd be out all night.

At sunset we met up with my buddy and headed to a 14,000 acre ranch north of town where the owner is having [beeep] with predators. Despite being on the government trapping program, which includes cyanide traps, steel traps, snares and helicopter hunts, and the fact that other people periodically call the property he is over run. In fact, he's lost almost every single kid goat and lamb that's been born on the ranch and is considering getting out of sheep and goats, as a result. They had a helicopter hunt planned in a couple of days so we wanted to get in there before that. Even though it's only about 25 miles from the ranch I manage, it's a VERY different property. At least ½ the ranch is covered with steep mountains (well, we call them mountains) with incredibly thick scrub cedar forests. My buddy, who's a former government trapper, said the coyotes were (mostly) on the flats and that the hills were full of bobcat. We made a few sets in the open flat areas, hoping for some coyotes, but we didn't have any success. The wind was still howling (20+mph), as it had for a week, and we just couldn't coax anything out. In fact, Tony and I had not seen a single coyote after dark since he'd arrived. Since we seemed to have a lot better success, the entire hunt, by getting into the 'thick of it,' we decided to head up into the mountains and try up there.
8526105218_c60a3cce61_n.jpg
[img:right]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8527/8524990563_4c33267e25_n.jpg[/img]
Our first set was pretty spontaneous. We were driving to another spot when Barry said, “Nick, this is that spot we've called before where we shot some fox.” Tony replied by hitting the brakes and saying, “Lets give it a shot right here!” We jumped up into the high rack and Tony started mouth calling. About 5 minutes in I spotted eyes on the edge of the brush about 75 yards away. Since Barry doesn't get to go calling as much as we'd like (his wife's not as cool about him going to 'play' as mine is! LOL!) I said, “You shoot, Barry!” When he threw up the scope he said, “cat.” Tony tried to coax it in a little closer but it just sat there. Finally, Barry made his .243 bark and that cat jumped about 5 feet in the air and came down doing doughnuts before disappearing into the brush. Tony set off pup in distress but after a few minutes it became obvious we were done; and we decided to go look for the cat. Since there are cyanide guns on the ranch, and there was one right by where Barry had shot the cat, we had kept Gunner in the truck.

We couldn't find the cat, or any blood so, while Barry guarded the cyanide trap, Tony got Gunner out. It didn't take Gunner long- he'd been watching the action from inside the truck, just as if he'd been out with us. As soon as he got out of the truck, he made a beeline for where the cat had been and took off into the cedars. We started looking in the brush for blood and heading the way Gunner had gone. About 5 minutes later we heard cat growling and dog barking and we knew Gunner had him but that the cat was still alive. The chase was on! After about 10 minutes of crawling through the cedars (they're thicker than you can imagine) there's Gunner in a standoff with a large and VERY angry male bobcat. Since the shot was going to be very close to Gunner, Barry handed Tony his .243. Tony got down in a contorted semi-prone position and yelled, “Gunner, HUP!!!” as Gunner dropped down and back, Tony threaded a round through the cedar branches and dropped the cat with a giant hole in it. Barry's shot had hit him in the chest but only taken out 1 lung; and, without Gunner, we would never have found that cat. With Gunner in tight tow, we headed on the long trek back to the truck with that cat draining a huge blood stain onto the back of Barry's jacket.

Our next stand we saw eyes but couldn't get them close enough to ID despite Tony wearing out his lungs trying. We decided to try a long canyon leading to the back of the property that Barry said would have several small clearings we could try, and where the steep hills and cedars might offer us some relief from the howling wind. Besides, the travel time would let Tony's lungs recover a little, lol!

Our first stand in the canyon produced some fox but they were moving so fast, mostly staying back in the trees, that we didn't get a shot. It seemed as though they were curious but not particularly interested in commiting. The second stand was in a pretty tight area so I decided to pull out the shotgun, just for fun. About 10 minutes into the set, here comes a fox. I let Tony know and he started coaxing. Just like the previous stand, though, he didn't seem interested other than being a little curious. He was moving sideways to us and finally stopped for a second at about 50 yards. I let loose with some Dead Coyote and it dropped him. Tony says, “MAN, did you see that?! You knocked him backwards and FLATTENED him! That was awesome!”

The next stand we had another bobcat come out and start coming in to Tony's mouth call but we told Barry to, “let him come in a little closer” but it finally held up about 100 yards out. Barry couldn't stand it any more and dropped him with his .243. After a little more calling, on the same stand, we spotted 2 more cats but none gave us shots. We saw several fox but since the cats are more of a problem to the landowner, we passed- hoping to get another cat.

Another couple of stands produced eyes but without interest in coming in and it was getting pretty obvious that things were shutting down. Since we were approaching the end of the canyon, and it was getting late and all of us were tired, we decided to head to the head of the canyon for one last set.

When we arrived at the last set, we finally had some internet signal; so, while we let things settle down, Ton and I updated our “live hunts” - mine on TexasBowhunter.com and his on Facebook. Barry, the most non-technical guy I know, sat in the back of the truck shaking his head at us internet geeks. LOL. When we got started I picked up eyes almost immediately behind a tree at the end of the clearing we were calling- a long sendaro with a rifle blind at one end and a feeder about 200 yards away. Unfortunately, there just wasn't a shot and I watched the eyes disappear as the moved through the brush to my right. We kept calling and scanning but nothing. Finally, about 15 minutes later, I picked up eyes through a bush about 20 yards away. The cat I'd spotted earlier had circled to the right and parked itself behind a bush right next to us. We tried coaxing and coaxing but it just WOULD NOT come out. The eyes would disappear and a minute later they would reappear just a foot over- always staying behind that big bush. Finally, Tony and Barry gave up after the eyes disappeared for a full 2-3 minutes; and Tony returned to calling. Nothing...nothing....nothing. Suddenly, I spotted something crossing the road we had come in on, about 40 yards away – that cat! I swung around just as he started to disappear into the brush and threw a Hail-Mary shot at its rear end, taking Tony and Barry by surprise. As I told them what had happened, here comes ANOTHER bobcat across the same road about 50 yards out and I threw up the shotgun. Unfortunately, with only a second to find it and get on it, I missed again. UGH! Neither cat ever looked at us, they just trotted across the road. We had heard a cat up on the hill making a 'cat in heat' sound (similar anyway) and we could only figure the first cat was a hot female and the second a tom in tow. Clearly, they had something else on their minds besides eating.

Since, nothing seemed interested in coming to a call and we were really tired and not getting an adrenaline rush any more, we started the long drive out. This was to be the end of the hunt because Tony had to leave in the morning, back to NM.When we were about a mile from the front gate we were driving through an area of the ranch that's absolutely beautiful. The cedars have been (largely) cleared around the road that parallels a dry river bed and is straddled by 2 steep, cedar covered, hills. There are some massive live oaks in small groves along the road and the open areas are covered in short grass. In the daytime, it's one of the most beautiful spots in our area; and the owner's house is just on the opposite side of the river. It was so perfect looking that Tony couldn't stand it and he says, “Want to try try one last stand? It sure looks great right here!” Uh.....YEAH! Of course we do!

Tony turned the truck so that the nose was downhill and only about 25 yards from a couple of giant oaks and the platform was facing uphill, at the grassy open and the treeline about 150 yards away. We didn't let things settle down at all and just jumped straight up onto the platform and started calling. We focussed our attention at the open ground and the treeline above us. About 5 minutes into the set our attention was succumbing to our tiredness when Tony happened to swing his light behind us and onto the base of one of the oaks; and, suddenly, Barry and I (who were still scanning the open ground) heard Tony switch to a lip squeak! There was a cat sitting behind a giant trunk looking at us. As he continued to coax, he laid down flat on the top of the truck giving Barry and I a clear shot over him. Because it was so close (an probably because we were so tired) Barry and I didn't/couldn't decide who was going to shoot. All I knew was that I was on him as soon as it moved and gave a great broadside shot. I squeezed the trigger and, as I sent one away, I heard Barry's .243 bark! We shot at the exact same time and, when the dust cleared, that cat was laying there with 2 holes in it; and Tony laughing like a school kid at how it all went down! LOL! It was a perfect way to end the hunt. [img:right]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8516/8524993057_a091865fca.jpg[/img] [img:right]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8508/8524991583_f136ae0fcd.jpg[/img] [img:right]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8532/8524991299_4f4f82bc5b.jpg[/img]

Postscript: We had such a good time that, the following morning, Tony asked if he could stay an extra day so we could hunt some more cats? He was really impressed with the quality of the cat hunting on the property and let us know what a great property we have to hunt. Well, of course! Who wouldn't want him to stick around when the hunting was so good? The weather forecast said that the wind would FINALLY calm down and we were anticipating a chance to call some cats without having to fight the howling wind. We returned to the same property that night but, with the calming wind, came clearing skies and the 1/2+ moon. The calling became all but futile. I killed a Javalina that came in to a distress call and Barry shot a fox, but all the cats we saw were totally uninterested in the call. I felt bad that Tony stayed away from his kids for another day for nothing but that's hunting. It was a GREAT few days with some memorable sets. I learned a lot from hunting with Tony- those little things/tricks that will give me a lot higher success rate. Most importantly, I have a new friend that knows where to come when he want's to kill some cats. Ill bet the next time he wants to come he'll pick the dark of the moon, though! Lol!

I knew that hunting with Tony and Gunner would make for a unique experience but I never could have expected how great it really was. It was an honor to have them hunt with us. Gunner is, truly, a unique and one-of-a-kind, once-n-a-lifetime dog! I use and train my own dogs for bird hunting and blood tracking and I pride myself with my own dogs; but Gunner's focus, drive and understanding of his job is utterly amazing. Anyone who has a chance to hunt with them should JUMP on it! Whether you're a professional predator hunter or a novice, you'll not only enjoy the heck out of it but you'll learn something. I'm a big believer that you can ALWAYS learn new tricks that will make you better; and Tony and Gunner are SURE to teach you some!

Thanks SO much, Tony! I look forward to your next trip down and I hope I get to come hunt with you up there on the plains some time! I know it was a little hard for you to step away from full-on guide mode and spend some time hunting, I hope you enjoyed it. As a hunting guide I really enjoyed getting to share the hunting with another guide – just two new friends hunting together.

Nominated for Hunter of the Month

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about some of the images not displaying right. If someone can see what's wrong with the code, let me know and I'll change it so they'll all display; but I wasted like an hour trying to figure out why those ones won't display like the others, lol.

Originally Posted By: reb8600There is a limit to how many pictures you can put in one post. That is why.
Oh, OK. Oops. sorry.

Here are some more of the pix we took:

8524993571_c53bb7c7e2_z.jpg

8524991583_f136ae0fcd.jpg
8524991299_4f4f82bc5b.jpg
8526106678_bb011c99a0_z.jpg
8526100566_c0d48149b8_z.jpg

Last edited:
Hey congrats and I believe your on the green screen as well. I remember your live updates. Looks like y'all had a blast. Good hunt.

Now that sounds like a great time! Great writing and good photos. Wish I had an area like that to hunt. I will be looking you guys up one of these days.

Originally Posted By: OiltowncallerTx for the good read and pics. So if both you and Tony are both guides who paid who lol

I don't guide predator hunters. So, I'll bet you can guess the answer, LOL! Maybe some time, but I don't get a lot of "off season" here in Texas; so I'm not sure I could handle not having any 'down time.' And I'm not sure how much more i could push my wife's patience, lol!

Originally Posted By: trooperjdHey congrats and I believe your on the green screen as well. I remember your live updates. Looks like y'all had a blast. Good hunt.

Thanks! It was a blast! Yessir, I'm on the GS - glad you enjoyed the live hunt! I wish they would enable Tapatalk here on PM so live hunts were easy to do like they are on the GS. What's your screen name on the GS?

Thanks for all the kind words, y'all!

Southtxbowhunter my screen name on the GS is trooperjd as well. I enjoyed your live hunt the first time, as I did reading it the second time. Good to see another Texan on here.

Nick, that is the best recollection of a hunt that I've ever read. Man, you have the gift of retaining detail. What a fun hunt, great ranch, great facilities, and great people. It's always nice to make new friends and a solid friendship was definitely built.

Thank you sir.

Tony

Originally Posted By: trooperjdSouthtxbowhunter my screen name on the GS is trooperjd as well. I enjoyed your live hunt the first time, as I did reading it the second time. Good to see another Texan on here.

10-4 I'll look for you on the GS. I'll prolly post the story on there too.

Awesome hunting and PURDY cats. Congrats all around on some great hunting. My wife and I have hunted with Pete many times and consider him a good friend. Please say hello to him for Greg & Kay in NC.

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeNick, that is the best recollection of a hunt that I've ever read. Man, you have the gift of retaining detail. What a fun hunt, great ranch, great facilities, and great people. It's always nice to make new friends and a solid friendship was definitely built.

Thank you sir.

Tony

Thanks so much, Tony! I guess we'll see how good my recollection of detail REALLY is over the next few months, lol! Gonna do some calling later in the week, when I get over this respiratory infection I caught during our hunt from all the cedar riding on that wind! Lol! Any time you want to kill some cats, or have a special client who wants some cats, you know where to come- the door is always open here in Sabinal!

Originally Posted By: weekenderAwesome hunting and PURDY cats. Congrats all around on some great hunting. My wife and I have hunted with Pete many times and consider him a good friend. Please say hello to him for Greg & Kay in NC.

10-4! I'm sure that Pete will return the same sentiment!

We're hoping that the persistent pursuit of predators, during the off seasons, will translate into even more success for our bowhunters!

Back