Range report Springfield XDS

Tnslim

I recently bought a new Springfield XDS which is the small single stack .45 carry weapon. It's around an inch thin, maybe 20 ounces unloaded and very easy to handle. Holds 5 in the mag, one in the pipe and a two shot extended mag is available but wasn't in stock at that time. I fired 130 rds of blazer ball ammo, 230 gr with no problems to feed or extract. Also shot a few rds of critical defense again with no problems. Trigger pull is acceptable and accuracy was much better than expected. Free hand at approximately 40 feet produced around 4" groups although it shot just a bit low and left from my point of aim. Let me be honest when I say I'm not a good shot with a handgun. No doubt a better shooter could produce much better groups. After about 30 rds I wore a thin cotton glove which prevented sore hands. I shot both left and right handed and groups were equal. I'm left eye dominant and shoot my rifles lefty. Cost was $550. plus Tn sales tax and bg check. I would highly recommend this pistol for concealed carry due to size and weight. Am presently shopping for a holster from several sources. Don't think I would like an IWB but may try one to be sure.

Friend of mine bought one of these and was taking it to the range for the first time yesterday, done know how it turned out yet.

By some grips from Talon, PRP, or Xtreme grips. That'll help a lot with the sore hand thing!

I'd also HIGHLY recommend the PRP spring kit. It's turns the trigger from acceptable to awesome (while still very safe for carry).

I've got about 3000 through mine and couldn't be happier with it!

Glad to hear the positive report. The grip does seem to be a little rough. I am also trying to decide on a holster for the XDs.

I also just picked up a XDs and a XDm 45 compact. I'm hoping to get out to the range this weekend and put some rounds through them. I only have 185gr HP reloads that I shoot in my DW CBOB, so I will get to see how the HP's feed.

I have been reading about the PRP spring kit,I might have to try one in the compact.

Is there one brand of grip preferred over another? I haven't seen the Xtreme grip, but like the looks of the Talon.

Like Tnslim, I also have 2 new guns, but they are the equal to the XDS. I have 2 S&W M&P40 Shields, though not a 45 the XDS and Shield both will meet the requierments of a nice carry gun that people are looking for today.

Try Midway for a holster, I have a belt holster and a ankle holster both from DeSantis, and I seen this holster is avalible for the XDS also

Picked up an XDs a few weeks ago. First time I shot it I fell in love. Everytime I shoot it I like it more than time before. Would recomend shooting the gun awhile before replacing the trigger. Only put about 150 rounds through mine but I have dry fired a bunch and the trigger has smoothed out quite nicely. Also recomend getting a set of pierce pinky extensions if you are having trouble managing the recoil.

Pinky Extensions? Man start shooting it more and get used to the short grip, I have an extended 7-shot mag for my Shield but I practice with the 6-shot mag since this is the mag that is in the gun when I am carrying the gun. Just tuck your little finger under the mag and practice, practice, practice.

Back