A pretty good W. Texas Adventure. And a first for me.

cjdavis618

Every year, I try to go out west where the air is dry and the coyotes sing without fear. I was able to take a few days off last week and make that annual pilgrimage to my friends far off adventure land. As with any hunting there are good times and bad times but this particular time has to be at least one of the best I have had. so let me take you on a little trip right along with me.

I arrive at the place that we stay at and get settled in for the evening. Winds were howling and gusting up to 40Mph so we didn't get to jump right in the truck and head out for some long awaited night hunting. Took some time to eat a great meal and catch up on some good old times and plan some new ones. Weather was looking pretty bad so we really had to play it by ear. Around 9pm, we hear my friends dog barking outside. So I take out the thermal and step outside to see what was going on. Turned out there was a coyote trying to eat some scraps that were on the pasture that were thrown out and his dog didn't like it. So I grab the gun and take a shot but the wind was just to much for the distance and the brush to make it count. But we had confirmed that there was some dog food stealing critters in the area which was a good sign.

After another hour, the wind layed a bit but still was around 10mph but enough we could try to get out. So we load up right quick and head out to some hunting grounds. By the time we get there, the wind had picked up again but we gave it one good try anyway. Didn't see anything but even if we did, with the gusts it would have been hard to hit. In reality, we were breaking all of the rules for night hunting anyway since it was a full moon out. Most times we try to focus night hunts on a dark of the moon. But, it didn't matter one bit and the rest of the story will explain why.

The next day, wind was even worse but was gusting to 55Mph so we took some time and dropped out hay for the cattle around the ranches also hoping to run up on some predators or pigs at the water troughs. No such luck but the cattle were happy to see us. For the night hunt the wind was supposed to drop to around 14mph around 8-9pm so we decided to get some sleep and get ready for that in the off chance that it happened. Well, our luck changed and it dropped to around 5-7mph and we headed out for what was one of the best nights I have had.

1st day Night hunt:
We get on stand next to the mighty pecos river and start looking for thick places to call into and sign that would prove life existed. We found it. Every stand we made had howls and animals coming to the calls. About 3 minutes into the first stand, Skeet motioned for me to get ready with the light and I got ready for what was to be the first harvest of the hunt. So I watch this animal trot up to around the 60 yard mark and leaps out into the open. I thought, yep, another coyote down. So I take the shot and see it run to the left off of a ledge. I knew it was close and down though because the brush got quiet. Then after that shot, another set of eyes are coming in from 180 degrees the other way but stayed way out in the distance. Around 350 yards by ranging. That shot wouldn't connect so we kept trying. Then moments later we pick up more eyes coming in from our left that was around 180 yards and closing. He tops a mound and stops broadside, looking around for a positive exit route, so I gave him one.

Went to collect the closest harvest, and find out much to my surprise, what has been a nemesis of mine for many, many years has just been added to my list. It all came together at that moment when I harvested my first bobcat. The cat came in on a steady trot and was not 60 yards from a solid white pickup truck that we were hunting out of. The cat didn't care and and was a very solid brown color with features that looked very much like a coyote. Got that one to the truck and then went back to get the coyote that was taken also. The coyote had a feature I had never seen before and was also a 2 pointer. (White tip tail) His ears were either ripped or frozen and the tips of the ears were curled back into the head so he had nubs for ears and not the typical pointy ears. Both ears were identical that way.

We managed to squeeze out 2 more stands that night as we were trying to find places to hunt that would help break up the truck. We were targeting coyotes on this stand but for whatever reason, shortly after playing some vocalizations, another HUGE Bobcat, which was obviously king of that domain (And had the cahoneys) to prove it trotted up like a pit bull and was determined to have some cagie cottontail.. This cat dropped like a ton of bricks to my AR with the hollow points I loaded up. No fur damage and the cat was spotted up like not other cat that I have ever seen. So in one night hunt, I have not only taken my first bobcat, but also got the trophy cat of a lifetime to boot. Cloud nine was an understatement and we were exhausted and decided to get back in and get ready for the next day.

Day 2.

This day was really less than inspiring. Lots of wind still, coyotes that would come to the call but not commit and stay out nearly a quarter mile, etc. Then the night hunt didn't produce any response. So I was feeling like my time was done and really was thinking of going home and dealing with some work issues that could be completed. I had already had a great night and accomplished a goal I have had for many years.

Day 3:
Woke up and had to deal with those work issues that had arose and had really decided to head back home, but my staff got it taken care of and my gut told me to stay... So I did, I was there. I love the place and even though everything was wrong. Wind speed, Full moon, Wind direction, etc. We tried it. And it has to be one of the best day hunts I have ever had.

Part of my main reason for going was to get my decoy dog havoc out and let him really get after the coyotes for a few days. Since the wind screwed that up on Monday and the Tuesday hunt didn't create any action, I was about to leave him at the camp. But I am so glad I didn't. Everything clicked when we got on stand. Havoc was primed, coyotes were aggressive and the hunting was great.

1st stand.
We were overlooking this vast flat with minimal vegetation and you could see for more than a mile in almost all directions. We were setting by the biggest greasewood bush in the area and trying to hide. Skeet sets the call out in front of us, with the wind in our face around 60 yards out. Havoc was sitting beside me and was helping keep an eye on things as we were calling when I noticed him shift, stand up and his body tense up. There was a hard charger coming from our 8 oclock and doing mach 9 to the call. He gets to the call so fast and gets our wind that the coyote turned and took off. Havoc does the same thing. The coyote sees havoc charging towards him and he locks up for a split second and started to run away in the "I know you aren't chasing me" kind of way. We were on a tight schedule so I busted the coyote and havoc had some time to acquaint himself with it. Skeet thought that was pretty neat how the coyote totally changed behavior once havoc was part of the hunt.

2nd stand.
We head back down to the river area and start finding some places to setup and call there. found one open area and had a slight mound to climb up and get some elevation for the view.
As skeet put the call out, there was a coyote that busted out across the flat to our right and crossed over to a secure area. I could see him hightailing, but skeet didn't when skeet got back and sat down, we discussed and decided to use some howls and see what happened. No response to the howls but when we switched to some showshoe hare, we had the coyote coming mach9 back to the call. Havoc was on the hill laying down, he jumps to his feet and is ready to go. As the coyote gets within 400 yards and starts to pass some thick brush, another coyote busts out of the brush to the left of him and they actually slam into each other and then tangle and nip at each other running in circles. When that happened, havoc took off down the hill and started to get their attention. he gets within 80 yards of them and both the coyotes and havoc freezes. I shoot the coyote in the rear and the front coyote is confused and doesn't take off because havoc is on his tail. He stops to survey the situation now that he doesn't have any backup and Skeet shoots the only coyote left. It was a long shot and the bullet gutted the coyote. It takes off with Havoc in Tow. I really thought it was a miss but moments later we hear barking and some scuffling in the FAR distance. We get up to go see and as we start walking over that direction, havoc comes back to us, keeps his distance and then goes back toward the coyote when we saw him. He did that 3 times and lead us to the coyote he had dispatched for skeet. It was the greatest teamwork I have had with Havoc and I couldn't be happier with him. This is not something that has happened before, but he knew how to get our attention and actually direct us to the coyote by instinct.

3rd stand.

Again setting up on a slight hill, we are overlooking a valley with a large draw that connects with the river for flooding. We actually were calling a cat that time and havoc was starting to get tired and he was laying down until needed. At the 2 minute mark, we have a coyote close the distance hopping like a dang kangaroo across the flats and greasewood bushes. He gets to the call, locks in on Havoc laying there and Havoc stands up with tail waging and waiting to go. I knew he didn't want to run down the coyote, so I dropped it. He goes to chew on it a bit and then comes back and lays down. then gets up and goes to chew on it some more.. lol. Then we had a herd of mule deer come across the plain with some very nice bucks in the group. Havoc paid them no mind and left them alone. We load up and head to stand 4.

4th and 5th stand were a bust. So we took a minute and ate some lunch.

6th stand.
After we got around to the end of the river, we stopped at the very end of the area on a hill that overlooked the valley we had just called on the other side. We decided due to the wind that we wanted to recover the areas that didn't produce just in case something was already down wind of us. We got to the top of the hill and made place to set up but a lonely leafless bush and planted 2 guys in camo and a big brown dog up there for all to see.. Again we started with some howls and about 2 minutes in we see a coyote top the berm 700 yards away and then start heading in to us on a semi fast trot. Then seconds later, another coyote did the same from the brush in the draw. They meet up and it was a leap frog for them to get to us. They kept swapping end to end and working into the call to get downwind. Havoc, tired but ready, stood up to take off when the signal was given. The first coyote to get there never knew we were on the hill. It runs to the call and stops, the second coyote gets past a bush and makes me and havoc out on the hill side. So I shoot that one instantly. Again confusing the front coyote, but the shot was so close he started running towards Skeet and then saw havoc and takes off over a large hill at our 9 oclock. Havoc ran after but got a thorn in his foot and was not able to catch him. Skeet took a shot and missed and so did I but neither connected. Havoc trailed him but didn't recover any thing that time. So one more down. (Video to be added later)

7th stand.
We had covered alot of the river area already on this particular ranch so we had to move on to the draws and connecting valleys to bring them in. We setup on this very step hillside and had a very good overlook of the area below us. We called for minutes and saw very little but on the 16minute mark, Havoc stood up, tensed up and was on point for bolting. We looked and looked and saw nothing for a couple of minutes, but as time went on, havoc was nearly prancing in place to take off. As time goes on, we see a lone coyote coming in from our extreme left and havoc had picked up his scent and then spotted him in the distance. At the time we picked him up, he was at least 500 yards out. As the distance was closed, skeet got his gun up and then as havoc and the coyote made eye contact, the coyote dropped into a ravine and we lost him. Seconds later, the coyote topped the hill behind us and havoc was instantly locked on. Skeet, in full view of the coyote moved to get his gun on the coyote and it very slowly turned to run. Then as it turned to bolt, it saw havoc heading toward him and he stopped broadside, like we weren't even there. Guess what,.. Coyote number 6 down..

Stand 8,

This stand was really busted when we got there, or so we thought as some oil rig activity was going on nearby. We get over the top of a hill and I see a group of pigs to our 2 oclock on the stand at around 200 yrds out down the flat. So Skeet asked if I wanted to try and call them in. I said sure. So he gets in position, and tells me to get ready for them to come to the call. He plays the Pig sow fight sound while I turned up my scope to 12 power to make a clean headshot with my .223. That actually spooked them, so he switched to a piglet in distress sound. That sound played for 5 seconds and the pigs started heading this way down a location road. Then all of the sudden I hear an awful racket just below my feet, around 10 yards. We had called a coyote that was within hitting range to the call (and my feet) and was running through at mach9.. I swung my gun, with extended bipod attached and shot that coyote on a dead run on 12 power. I saw it fall out of my left eye then was swinging back to the pigs that were scattering about 100yrds away, and then another coyote does the same thing in the same spot. Actually jumped the first dead coyote and I roll him as he topped the berm beside us across the road. Still on 12 power. I would not have ever believed that could happen, but I did it twice. I need to take up trap with that rifle.. .. lol.. All I saw on both coyotes was the front of the neck when I fired.

Still was able to put 3 rounds into 3 pigs at a distance, but we left them lay. I only had 5 rounds left and I used them all on that stand. Skeet never even had time to load the rifle at all or chamber a round it happened so fast.

Daylight was gone so we headed in to get the night gear loaded up and get some dinner. Got back out to another area and really had fits trying to find a place to call and the ranch we were supposed to hunt didn't unlock the gate as promised, but we found 3 places to go and still killed 3 more coyotes. They were all hard chargers that day for the most part and with the weather the way it was forecast, we expected nothing to happen. Moral of the story, go hunting regardless of what you think will happen.

Also got a javelina on the trip as well for good measure. Dang dog food eaters..

All total there were 12 coyotes killed, 2 bobcats, and a javelina. Cats look funny because they were frozen and just got them out for the photo.
5CA9EBEE-9A6F-406A-9980-ACB45FC793D8-644-0000017D2DE94D60_zpsfdb2f781.jpg

HOMAnimated_zpsa2612f08.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
,p>As promised, here is a short video of one of the stands. Camera was mounted on the side of the rifle. Hope you enjoy.

Here is normal speed version.

Here is a slow motion of the shots.

Hey Chris Congrats on finally getting your Cat! Skeet called me the next day and told me all about the hunt. The cats have really seemed to pick up out that way. The 30lber. I shot on the show this year was the 3rd cat over 30 I have shot out there with Skeet! Glad to see you found the coyotes too!

Back