Deadly traps

I assume with 531 posts you know that trapping in MN is regulated by your state DNR. Licenses, laws, etc. Maybe you are on a large chunk of private land and see no need to worry about your state government. In any case, you may benefit from taking the Minnesota Online Trapper Course or attending one IN PERSON.

Good luck

About ten or fifteen years ago a local was arrested for poisoning fox to sell the furs. I never heard what it was he used, but after seeing this thread, I'm thinking this might have been it.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get educated before you create a multitude of problems for yourself and every other trapper out there.

All the methods above, footholds, snares, bodygrippers, and m44's have their place in taking coyotes for fur or adc reasons. However, not knowing your situation (other than you are looking for a magic bullet) it would be hard for anyone here to help you.

First, I would suggest getting education from reputable sources. This should start with knowing the laws in your state and about practices considered ethical in your area regarding trapping. For example, a bodygripper used in the wrong situation will have serious repercussions for you and others around you.

So, you are struggling with getting a coyote to come within rifle range. To trap a coyote you have to get them to step on an area the size of a soup can. To snare a coyote you have to get them to walk through a loop that is ten inches across.

Finally, if you don't think you can walk up and dispatch an animal, please seriously consider whether or not you are ready to attempt trapping.

I thanks any of you to help with actual usefull information.

I havent tried trapping and I came here for some information, I am sorry I made that mistake.

I havent set a single trap for coyotes and I am being treated like I am setting traps in the local dog park.

I assumed I could get more first hand information from all of you combined. I guess the Minnesota trapper regulations is where I should have gone first.

Last edited:
the problem here is that most of us that trap love our pastime and don't want to see what we do ruined by others who have no respect for learning proper procedures, the animals themselves, other peoples and their pets, etc. Trapping is on the s#$t list of animal rights wackos and in some states we are on the verge of losing our trapping priveledges(sp). That's why the harsh comments on what was an ill thought out question when it's painfully obvious you did not read any regulations prior to asking it.

Don't get scared off. Trapping can be fun but there are a ton of laws and ethic's to learn. We enjoy the challenge. Just as someone else said we are trying to get an animal to stand on a 2 or 3 inch pan in huge country. Killing isn't what we are doing it for.
Once you try it you will understand why all the people here are passionate about it.

When I hunt, killing the animal ethicaly and as fast as possible is my top priority.

I am just trying to keep that as a top priority over, say, quality or amount of fur.

I aspecially dont want to hurt anyone or their animals but I am very confident of the safety of the area I will be trying.

It is better to kill those dogs which can be dangerous in terms of spreading pest like as wild dogs. But which are not involved in such cases should be killed as these dogs are useful for lot of purposes.

Hey Rock Knocker,I am suprised that the source you found on M44's getter guns and cyanide did not state that these poisons have been illegal many years.If you stop and think about it ANYTHING that pulls on them with their mouth or teeth and sets them off is going to die.I think they were only ever used in very desolate areas of the West many years ago.They are just in no way selective of what they kill.

I have heard of coyotes being killed in conibears.But to set a 330size on dry land is illegal as far as I know everywhere.A 220 could be used i guess if legal but still not considered a good coyote trap at all or a good way to trap them at all.And a responsible trapper has to be very very careful wherehe sets conibearson dry land.Same thing with snares that have kill type springs incorporated into the lock.If legal in your state they can work very well.You just have to be very careful where you set them.I use relaxing type penny size washer locks and catch them by the neck usually.And then dispatch from a little distance with my rifle.I'm about out of time but will get back to this and footholds hopefully tomorow.

This thread is ridiculous.

A saying comes to mind: For those that know, no explanation is necessary,- for those that dont, no explanation is possible.

RK, my best advice is stick to gun hunting......for everyone's sake

Pretty well put there Bigsky.I have been thinking all along if someone really does not want to dispatch a coyote or any wild animal that they catch then they really should not set a trap to begin with.Tome that just really makes to most sense or as you said do us all a favor and just stick to gun hunting!

Originally Posted By: Rock Knocker
I dont want to just get a hold on something to make it struggle for hours and hours. I dont have the heart to walk up to a traped animal and see that kind of fear. In my opinion it is a pathetic way to die and I dont want to give anything that kind of death.

I take it you close your eyes when you squeeze off on an animal.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerWhen I hunt, killing the animal ethicaly and as fast as possible is my top priority.

I am just trying to keep that as a top priority over, say, quality or amount of fur.

I aspecially dont want to hurt anyone or their animals but I am very confident of the safety of the area I will be trying.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerWhen I hunt, killing the animal ethicaly and as fast as possible is my top priority.

Trapping with footholds is ethical, and animals caught in them relax and just hangout after they realize they can't get out for the most part.

If you don't want to use them, then don't, no biggie but don't question the ethics of those that do. Trappers have a hard enough time keeping their rights to continue to trap, and we don't need those that are ignorant to the truth of trapping questioning it for all to see. The antis do that enough as it is.

My dog was killed by a connibear trap put on our land by a tresspasser. If you are worried about killing a trapped animal, think about how you would feel finding somebody elses dog dead in a trap you set. I am not against trapping done ethically, just giving you something else to think about.

Back