17Rem or 17/223 pros an cons

scouteyes

Ok guys I cant decide which,help make up my mind which to get.Whats all the pros an cons of the two. Coyote hunting punching paper,arw the main uses an I do reload an have a 223. I hope you,all bring up points that I have missed. Thanks Jim

Long as you don't mind the effort involved in forming the brass I'd go with 17/223.
Once the panic buying subsides, you'll be able to buy Lapua 223 brass for the price of 17Rem and it'll be more readily available.
Case capacity and performance are so close you won't notice the difference in the real world.
You might want to look into the price of the forming dies though. They don't exactly give those baby's away.

Repete is right IMO. A little more speed out of the 17/.223 and the BEST brass when you can get it. Form dies are a bit pricey though. After Im off here Im getting ready to chamber a .17 Rem. for an AR going to TX. Then I HOPE I have time to get started on my own little .17 project.
thumbup.gif

Actually the .17 rem is faster with more case capacity. generally 60-80 fps faster across the board when using same powder/charge.

For forming, IIRC, you can just use a bushing die, maybe 20 cal. first, then 17 cal. bushing. If Lee makes it, maybe a collet die?? Bulberry used to have a reasonable double-ended forming die for like $45 +s/h too. I believe a standard 20 cal., then 17 cal., die in any cal. that the neck can reach the proper portion of the die will work too. I know some guys use a 17 MkIV seater in the process just to get the neck dia down.

I'm thinking on the 17/223 myself when I get there, but resale is the only major negative I can see.

JMHO.

Your other option is 17 Tactical, close to 17/223 but a bit more popular. You can use Lapua 20 Tac brass necked down to 17 with a bushing die.

I had one just about identical to the. 17 Rem I actually like the longer neck on the Rem but for all practical purpose they are the same and like mentioned before better brass for the 17/223 BTW I just got rid of a set of forming dies last year I found two sets in a old gunshop they had about 2" dust on the boxes they sold them all to me for $15 a die

Just a thought! The .17 Remington may not be as hard on barrels as the .17 Tactical or possibly the 17-223. It just depends on your needs. There has been a discussion from time to time about the .17 Tact. and barrel erosion on the Saubier forum.
http://www.saubier.com/forum.html
Here is one person report of using the .17 Tactical
"Kdog--I have only used Varget an N-540 in my .17 Tactical with 30 gr. Golds and 25 gr. V-Max bullets. I used .20 TAC Dakota Lapua brass and Remington 7½ primers.

My fire forming loads with the 30 gr. Golds were with 24.5 gr. of Varget and I also did fire forming loads with 24.5 gr. of N-540. Muzzle velocity for the 24.5 gr. load of Varget was 3,906 fps and the muzzle velocity for the 24.5 gr. load of N-540 was 3,857 fps. These bullets were coated with Danzac.

I also fire formed brass using 25 gr. V-Max bullets and that same powder charge for N-540 and was around 3,900 fps at the muzzle. I had the barrel set back one full inch after only 521 rounds down the barrel. After the set back this same load was then giving me about 3,850 fps at the muzzle while fire forming brass. The first three or four inches of the barrel still look like and alligator hide even after the one inch set back. The rifle is still fairly accurate--accurate enough to hit young prairie dogs a little over 200 yards with seeming ease.

Right now, I'm using 24.6 gr. of Varget and that load is pushing the Danzac coated 30 gr. BTHP Kindler Golds at 3,792 fps for muzzle velocity. I only have 745 rounds total down the barrel so I'm pretty disgusted with barrel life with this caliber, but like I said, I'm still hitting prairie dogs at 200+ yards, but how much longer that will happen, I do not know!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: phutch30Actually the .17 rem is faster with more case capacity. generally 60-80 fps faster across the board when using same powder/charge.

Yes, had to re read, I was thinking fireball

Its not a stretch at all to figure out the 17Tac or any of it's close cousins could be hard on barrels when it comes to throat erosion. Most that shoot these rifles do so in hunting situations like calling coyotes. I would never choose one for a steady diet of prairie dog shooting.

Why would the 17 Tactical have such a problem with throat erosion and a 17 Remington not. With only a 1.5 grain increase in case capacity. Because it's complete Nonsense.....

It all depends how hard you're pushing it and the quality of the barrel...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UtahcallerWhy would the 17 Tactical have such a problem with throat erosion and a 17 Remington not. With only a 1.5 grain increase in case capacity. Because it's complete Nonsense.....

It all depends how hard you're pushing it and the quality of the barrel...

This is quite true. I shoot ground squirrels and praire dogs with my .17 Remmy. On occasion the shooting can get pretty fast so I am careful not to let the barrel ever get too hot to hold on to. And I also keep my speeds down a bit from max. I get longer barrel life and longer brass life and the critters that I shoot can't seem to tell the difference in speed.

Well Im still cant make my mind up yet.Im leaning toward the 17/223. Now I know its more work but I have 3000-4000 rounds of Lace City brass.Nice to have grown up a mile from the Lake City plant.

I asked a similar question on another board. The 17-223 would be the most economical and just easy to form and shoot if a wildcat is your thing.

I've not run a .17/223 but I can't say I've ever encountered a problem finding .17 Rem brass.

Not a fan of standing at the loading bench myself. But everybody's different.

Travis

I make all my .17 rem from 223 brass, have for years, and don't jump me by telling me about the dreaded carbon ring or erosion in front of the case, i have NEVER had this problem, i don't shoot hundreds of rounds without cleaning either, and never would anyway.

Back