sig P238 vs Ruger LCP

utah_1911

The wifey recently acquired her concealed permit and wants a new pistol. She's not a fan of wheel guns or true 1911's. I have directed her towards an auto 380 which I think is an appropriate caliber for her. My question is; of thse of you who have these (an LCP or a P238) which one do you prefer? Have you had any running issues with either of them? Do you think the price justifies the purchase with the SIG? I understand ultimately it is up to her and what she prefers, but I was curious on all of your thoughts.

I have held the Sig but have not shot it. It's a solid gun more weight than the LCP. But with the right ammo both guns will work. I have the LCP and like it. No problems with it yet. Let her hold on to both and see what feels better in her hands.

See which one she likes. I'm a sig guy all the way. But my wife shoots a LCR. And see if she likes any 9mm's better round and cheaper and eaiser to get. I like the sig 239 for ccw.

Alright yeah let her pick. Try to find a way for her to shoot both. My fiancé had the LCP when we met I had a Sig 232 (new version of 230). She was not a fan of actually shooting her LCP as it beat her hand up. She never said anything about issues with it. I had her try my pistol with hogue grips and now I'm out of a gun. She enjoys shooting the sig as it doesn't hurt her hand and has real sites.

The Sig has about 600 rounds through it 0 malfunctions. The only complaint is the European mag release. A guy at work had the LCP and had 3-4 malfunctions on a 20 round course of fire. That inspired me to talk the fiancé out of her LCP as an EDC.

I think the 239 is a beast for CCW. Had a 9mm and 357 Sig. Had the stainless variety though they were heavy. Had an ex who carried the 9 as a purse gun, she felt it was too heavy for the role. I carried the 357 and it was rough for small of the back carry just bulky and heavy.

Never held a Ruger LCP, but have had a Sig P230 for 10 or 12 years. I rerally like this gin and never had a single issue with it. I find it very accurate. It is my truck and 4 wheeler pistol and I carry it offen during spring and summer. I live in Northern Wisconsin with three versatile hunting dogs and abunance of nuisance porcupines. I take my dogs to our vet several times a year due to sever incounters with porcupines. Therefore, I shoot every porcupine I see and annually dispatch twenty or more porcupines, with my Sig P230. Most are spoted in the spring and early summer in trees as I drive country roads. Shots average 20 to 30 yards and are solid hits. Furest, shot was an 80 yard shot out of a tree, hit on the third shot. There was a flooded area off the side of the road that I could not cross.

While many carry the .380 for self defense as do I, my use of the .380 on several hundred porcupines leads me to question its suitability as a self defense caliber. I shoot .380 handloads, 90gr JHPs at 1100 fps. Rarely do these exit adult porcupines, 50% are one shot kills. The other 50% take 2 to 3 rounds, center mass to knock them out of a tree. Side shots shooting through quills can explain some lack of stopping power and penatration, heavy clothing would provide a similar effect. However, 50% are belly shot where little or no quills are present. If two to three rounds are required to stop a 20 to 30 pound porcupine; how many would a 200 assailant take? Be prepared to empty the magazine!

I own the P238 and have shot the LCP.

The P238 is more money, but I felt it was worth it. I have not had any feeding/jamming issues at all, even when I used very light handloads. It comes with Tritium night sights.

The P238 has a safety, the LCP does not.

The P238 is heavier than the LCP.

The recoil with the P238 is very manegeable,due to the weight and perhaps due to the 1911 influence.

The recoil on the LCP is 'snappy'.

The P238 is a single action while the LCP is a double action.

As has been said, let her pick the gun, otherwise you may be shopping for another gun real soon (not that there's anything wrong with that, lol).

Last edited:
I have both also. Hands down the P238 is more enjoyable to shoot, more accurate too. The biggie is the fairly different 'manual of arms'. The LCP is a DAO type with a long pull. Would she want to carry 'locked & cocked'?

The LCP is much simpler to use, either may be hard to work the slide. I think some may depend on how comfortable she may be with the way each works. I do realize, not all ladies are new to firearms use.

If you are looking for a pocket 380, look at the s&w bodyguard instead of the lcp. IMHO the smith is better for 2 reasons. The laser on the smith has controls that won't accidentally get turned on and even more important, the front and rear sights are dovetailed so you can replace them with xs bigdot night sights where the lcp sights are extremely low profile and cut into the top of the slide making them difficult to see in low light conditions.

Last edited:
Also own both. My LCP is up for sale. I don't like it as it is a nasty little thing to shoot. SIG is much nicer.

A question I always have, why do most guys want to steer their wives to a mouse gun? Male ego? Most women I shoot with and/or know have hands big enough to shoot a small to mid-size 9 or even a 45.

I bought a S&W M&P Shield 9 last week and as far as carrying it's not that much bigger and it is a whole lot easier to shoot than a mouse gun 380.

file-99.jpg

There is a world of difference in how they shoot and handle.

For some reason my wife did not get into guns looking for something small. Her dad bought her a Colt Defender which she shoots horribly I might add. She gravitated toward a smaller gun so she could be able to carry it easier. Her favorite gun to shoot and the one she shoots best is the Springfield EMP in 9mm.

Back to the thread. We own 2 Sig p238's. I have the lesser expensive one and my wife has a nice one. She shoots it fine and really likes it.

Perosnally those two guns aren't even comparable...LCP is way more of a lightweight carry gun...to a T. Its light, compact, affordable, and reliable, which is everything you want...however they are jumpy little guys.

The P238 is heavier, and expensive. BUT*** there is alomost no recoil...and way more accurate. I really really really!!! like the p238 and personally think its one of the best shooting compact 380's out there...that being said i dont like them for carry due to their weight (for their size) and the "niceness" of the gun.

For carry (man, or woman) i always recomend revolvers...an airwieght S&w 38. Light weight, accuarte, reliable, affordable, and plenty of knockdown....you can't jam a revolver...

There is way more reasons i have for my thoughts, but dont have the time to type all of it...haha

Last edited:
I am a Ruger fan, but I don't know if I could reccomend a LCP. They are fairly stout for a smaller/novice shooter. I have spent many rounds thru one, but personally don't own one.

I would look at the Ruger LC380, it is the same size as an LC9 Ruger, would be pretty manageable for a woman in that frame.

I have no experience with the Sig you mentioned so no comment from me on that one.

Originally Posted By: claimbusterAlso own both. My LCP is up for sale. I don't like it as it is a nasty little thing to shoot. SIG is much nicer.

A question I always have, why do most guys want to steer their wives to a mouse gun? Male ego? Most women I shoot with and/or know have hands big enough to shoot a small to mid-size 9 or even a 45.

I bought a S&W M&P Shield 9 last week and as far as carrying it's not that much bigger and it is a whole lot easier to shoot than a mouse gun 380.

file-99.jpg

That top pick isn't a LCR. Looks like a Smith and Wesson, maybe?

Originally Posted By: claimbusterAlso own both. My LCP is up for sale. I don't like it as it is a nasty little thing to shoot. SIG is much nicer.

file-99.jpg

I have tried to sell her on a commander sized 1911 in 9mm for
years. She is really dainty and wants a smaller gun, so I suggested to her the 380 route.

If you are going to spend sig money and buy a 380 buy a Kahr P380 and you'll be glad you did. I owned the LCP, P238, and P380. I only have the P380 now.

Under the duress of an attack, robbery, or defending someone else, emotions of the moment having been caught off guard completely, may complicate issues as taking off a safety for use or cocking the hammer on the pistol. A safety or having to cock a hammer may just get you killed. It takes training and lot of practice to form a habit with little thought involved.

Often, bad guys will assault a person with zero warning, when they do, it seems an eternitity for you to get a Pistol out of your pocket or waist band, especially if one of them has his hands on you or you have been knocked half unconscious and are trying to regain your composure.

No hammer or safeties for me.

My brother in law was a Detective with the LAPD. He told me that the Smith J Frame snub nose was the hardest pistol to train officers to shoot accurately. I had the Smith custom shop do a trigger job on my J frame 2" and my accuracy from the draw was greatly improved...that is an understatement.

In the IDPA matches that I attend, the women seem to have a heck of a time manipulating the slide on some auto's, clearing jams, and strong trigger pulls.

There is a spring kit for the Ruger LCP that makes it a dream trigger. I have seen a great number of the Ruger LCP's and none of them I would say were inaccurate, however they do have their preference on ammo that shoots the most accurate.

I shoot the Buffalo Bore 90g HP at 1170 fps out of my Lcp.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.I own the P238 and have shot the LCP.

The P238 is more money, but I felt it was worth it. I have not had any feeding/jamming issues at all, even when I used very light handloads. It comes with Tritium night sights.

The P238 has a safety, the LCP does not.

The P238 is heavier than the LCP.

The recoil with the P238 is very manegeable,due to the weight and perhaps due to the 1911 influence.

The recoil on the LCP is 'snappy'.

The P238 is a single action while the LCP is a double action.

As has been said, let her pick the gun, otherwise you may be shopping for another gun real soon (not that there's anything wrong with that, lol).

This get another vote from me. I have a sig 238 and my dad has a LCP. Sig hands down!!

Originally Posted By: ackleymanUnder the duress of an attack, robbery, or defending someone else, emotions of the moment having been caught off guard completely, may complicate issues as taking off a safety for use or cocking the hammer on the pistol. A safety or having to cock a hammer may just get you killed. It takes training and lot of practice to form a habit with little thought involved.

Often, bad guys will assault a person with zero warning, when they do, it seems an eternitity for you to get a Pistol out of your pocket or waist band, especially if one of them has his hands on you or you have been knocked half unconscious and are trying to regain your composure.

i agree, not much out there easier than a DA small frame .38. Load it and pull the trigger.

I would agree that a safety and a single action are both a bad idea for a self defense weapon. Is she willing to carry it on her person, or looking for a car/purse gun? If she will carry it on her body, having a smaller gun that will be carried all the time is better than a bigger one in the purse.

A slightly larger gun handles recoil much better and will be more enjoyable to shoot, which leads to more practice time and accuracy. I think a sub compact 9mm is ideal. A single stack like the Kahrs or Kel-Tec for carrying on her, or a Glock 26 for purse carry.

Last edited:
Back