Savage 11/111 Long Range Hunter

geenhead93

I am considering getting a Savage 11/111 Long Range Hunter chambered in 7mm Rem Mag for my new big game/long range gun. I will be using it for blacktail deer, hogs, black bear and hopefully Elk. What do you guys think of this gun? And do you think I would be better off getting it in a different caliber?
Here is the link it is under "specialty series"Savage Arms
I am new to this site by the way.

Last edited:
I have a friend with the 7Mag version of the Long Range Hunter (LRH). He is happy with it, and the only complaint was the barrel is supposed to be free floated. His came not that way and Savage gave him the option to send it in, he chose to dremel it himself. His friends from work all ran Remington senderos in 300 either Ultra mag or win mag. They have started to get more long range hunters going as well branching into custom guns. They all shoot out to 1000 yards plus. The newest LRH 7Mag of their bunch is a lefty with a stainless barrel that only had a cost for parts from the factory. It is confirmed as the best shooter of their bunch.

The 7Mag is more than capable for all you have listed. I have a Remington 700, that has taken 3 bull elk. Longest being about 500 yards. I shot a black bear at 500 yards. Anchored him with the second shot in the front shoulder. The double lung shot got him trotting. I feel the .284 is better than its counterpart in a .308 (ie 7Mag to 300Mag). I say this because in order to get 150 grains into a .284 bullet you make it longer. The longer bullet will hold better in the wind and drop.

I have a Long Range Hunter in 6.5-284 Norma, and I like the look and feel of it. Only problem being I haven't shot it past 25 yards yet. It's a dream to shoot. I also have the non-free floating factory barrel, but decided to shoot it and see how it grouped before hacking on it.

So in the end nothing wrong with the caliber, I really am a fan. I also am a fan of the gun. I wouldn't change either of your choices. If I didn't already have my 7Mag I would own a LRH.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. I am almost positively going to purchase the 7Mag LRH. Do you reckon that if I purchased one now the barrel would be floated. My brother just bought a Savage 30-06 and it has a floated barrel. Also what does "adjustable" muzzle break mean? I've never heard that term before. Does it just mean it is removable?

It means you can turn it off or on. As in twist one way it closes the ports. Twist the opposite way to open them. I don't imagine a 7Mag would be too bad without the break. My dad bought mine when I was 11 for an elk hunt and he had a break put on.

I just bought mine and the forend is touching. It's just a little material at the very end. I think mine is floated past that point. It is supposed to be floated so you may very well get one that is. The super shooting lefty version, well he left it as it came. So may be best to leave it touching anyway.

Yeah the muzzle break wasn't a must but definitely a plus. What scope would you recommend? I am thinking about the bushnell 3-9x50mm elite. Do you think 50mm Is to powerful?

Well it depends on the shooting you plan on doing and your budget.

I have a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 on my 7Mag. It had a vari-xII 3-9x40 for all of its kills, but I decided it was time to run dials on it. The guns shooting 1K plus are running mark 4's i think they are running 6-18 or 8-24. The 50mm objective is certainly not overkill, unless you like a dark scope. It will gather much more light which helps with early morning and late evening shooting.

I am not a fan of bushnell, but my experience is limited to their cheap glass and it never held up.

The key is finding the best scope for your budget that meets the needs you have. The Mark 4 is pricy, but for repeatable turrets with decent glass it is the cheap end. Vortex has moved in with the viper line however. I own a Vortex, multiple luepolds and a nightforce. Nothing compares to looking through the nightforce it's just the price tag is a killer. All three companies have a no bs warranty where they fix your stuff.

If you don't want to run dials or think not really the Zeiss conquest line is an option. Some people swear by the dials on them others don't. Without dials they are known to be really good scopes according to most of what I hear.

Last edited:
I own a LRH in 25-06 shoots 1/2" groups at 200 all day. I run a Bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x50 and love the scope for hunting. Its ok for target shooting. 3 of my friends run newer Savages and they all shoot 1/4 MOA with handloads.

If you like those flavors of reticle by all means go for it. My prefernce is to avoid them. I know lots of folks are all for them, and every company is making them. So they must work for lots of folks.

In the excited time I tend to use the wrong one, at least I did the one time I used the gradients. Again though I have gone to running dials, so I hold dead on with one set of crosshair and adjust POI to the yardage.

Sadly I can only tell you what I like from my experience. I'm a total glass snob. It comes from seeing failures of many scopes. All can fail, and like any mechanical device will. That is why a company with a good guarantee is important to me. My dads vari-xII finally failed this year after at least 25 years. I shipped it in for him and they repaired it free of charge no questions asked other than the 5 dollar flat rate box.

As the saying goes buy once cry once.

Yeah I would prefer to run dials but that out if my budget. I have about a 300$ dollar budget which is pretty low considering the price of a good scope.

geenhead, just a suggestion, but you might look at the weaver grand slams. They are noted for their turret tracking, pretty good glass, and pretty reasonable. I run a couple and they work real well for me. Look at Natchez for pricing.

I just ordered myself the Savage 110 FCP in a 300 Win Mag for my long range rifle. My step dad just recently bought the 111 LRH in the 300 Win and likes it so far.

I think the two are the same action the difference is in the stock and barrels. The stock on the 110 FCP is a HS Precision stock and it has a 24" Heavy barrel instead of 26" barrel.

Also the 110 FCP weighs about a 1/2 lb more and holds one more round.

I think they will both shoot better then the operators can.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jarheadhunter
I think the two are the same action the difference is in the stock and barrels. The stock on the 110 FCP is a HS Precision stock and it has a 24" Heavy barrel instead of 26" barrel.

The LRH is also 24 inch of barrel and 2 inch of muzzle break. Forgot that is the thing about the LRH, they fib on barrel length.

Originally Posted By: MRL1984Originally Posted By: jarheadhunter

The LRH is also 24 inch of barrel and 2 inch of muzzle break. Forgot that is the thing about the LRH, they fib on barrel length.

I guess that makes sense. I will be putting a brake on mine.

Yeah thanks for reminding me of the one complaint most folks have of the LRH.The barrel ends up at 26 overall, but rifling only goes to 24.

I am a fan of breaks, have to put one on the Lady Hunter for my lady. She soaks up the recoil well, but it limits her shooting time.

I have one in .308 that I bought last spring, it shoots excellent, the break really cuts the recoil down but you have to be very careful about keeping it cleaned out after cleaning the bore. If you leave any bore solvent in it it will seize up and it a serious b@$& to get freed up again. Mine also had the front edge of the barrel channel touching the barrel, it was just a matter of a few minutes with a piece of sand paper to get it away from the barrel. And it did make a difference with accuracy.

Back