RL-22 with magnum primers in .270 win?

je4bowhuntin

Fixing to start reloading for my .270. I have some cci 250 primers and some rl22 as well as some cci 200. Going to try some Barnes tsx130 Sierra btsp130 and hornady sst 130-140. My question is what determines the need for magnum primers? What book is a good source for .270 loads and rl-22?

Magnum primers in large rifle are for igniting large volume charges in magnum cases and can also be helpful any time ball powders are used. Having said that, I run magnum primers in everything I have because it seems to help consistency when the mercury dips below freezing and below zero.

I run RL-22 in one of my 270's with 140gr Noslers and magnum primers of course. I like the combination.

Books that I have found useful are Hornady's 8th edition and Lyman's 48th edition. Both have newer editions now but both are good.

The 270 is not finicky. RL-19,and 22 work well as does 4350 and 4831.

Have fun.

I've reloaded for my .270 quite a bit and really don't see much if any difference between standard and magnum primers. Used both type primers for many years in both extreme cold and hot enviroments in both stick H4831 and Win760/H414 for the .270. Now days I just use standard WLR primers for both types of stick and ball powders in my .270, .308, .243 class cases. I think magnum primers are more for the 7M Rem, 300 Win Mag. and up type cases. That's just my experience. Try different types, it's fun anyway just to see what works best. Someone did a primer test many years ago, Jack O'Conner, Elmer Keith days in the 60's, and I recall they came to pretty much the same conclusion.

In my 270, I tried RL22 and the 130gr Barnes TSX and TTSX. I loved the speeds! I hit 3,225fps, safely, but I also got horizontal stringing, which I could not cure and is another story.

Magnum primers may, or may not, make a noticeable difference in your rifle. Try each and see what you think.

My dad loads for his 270 with RL-19, but his tang safety Ruger will not ignite the Magnum primers. Maybe it just his gun, but I laughed all afternoon, when his gun failed to fire on a doe the last day of season.

Originally Posted By: NCMTNBOYMy dad loads for his 270 with RL-19, but his tang safety Ruger will not ignite the Magnum primers. Maybe it just his gun, but I laughed all afternoon, when his gun failed to fire on a doe the last day of season.

Have 'ole Dad take the bolt apart and clean it. They will fire just fine. FWIW.

Back