Criterion barrels

MPFD

I've got a Criterion stainless match barrel coming in .260 Rem, it's a 26" Varmint and I'm gonna chop it but having trouble deciding on a length. I really wanna go 22-23". I have read everything I can find about them on the internet. Haven't found anything bad about them. I'd like to hear some of your experiences. If you have a Criterion and have some pictures of good groups shot with it or a pet load for your 1-8 twist .260 chime and and give me your opinions please. Also what are your suggestions for length? I have a Savage M12 in .204 that I cut down to 22" and I LOVE IT! I'm still getting 4000 fps out of it with a mild load. I'm gonna carry it and hunt with it. It will most likely be used from a blind or even a tree stand as well as spot and stalk. I know It will get more velocity with a long tube, but looking for balance and portability. From what I've read chopping 4" will cut me back about 100 fps. I'm looking to get a 140 g. bullet to launch at around 2650-2700 fps. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
DUSTINSDEERBUCK2012001.jpg

26" CBI 1-8 twist varmint in 6.5x47mm Lapua.
no groupd pics but shoots in the mid .2's with 123gr. Amax's over H4350.

I too have a Criterion barrel coming in 260. I ordered it from Jim at Northland. I was trying to decide on length as well because it will have 8" of suppressor hanging off the muzzle. I finally decided on 24" and Criterion will do the threading on the muzzle. I figured I can always cut more off if I want it shorter.

I was between Shilen and Criterion and asked Jim his opinion. He said they are both about equal in his book and I would not go wrong with either.

Mine will be going on a Savage 110 action. I ordered a McMillan Game Scout through N.O.S. Tim was super nice and answered all my questions.

Mine came from Jim for a Steven's 200 Short action as well. I think I'm gonna do a 22" I have a 26" Sendero in 25-06 and I love how it shoots but I hate to carry and climb trees with it.

Kyyotestalker: Do you get an exit with 123 grain Amax on that buck? Where did you hit it, right in the boiler room? I shot at doe last year with a 123g Amax from my grendel at 468 yards and it did not exit. Just wondering how it does at 3000+ vs 2600 fps from my AR?

Last edited:
Mine is gonna be here this afternoon. I'm hauling it up to my buddy in KC this weekend to get it put together. I am gonna try to neck up once fired Winchester .243 brass. I have 100 pieces annealed and ready to size. My chamber is from a match reamer, but Jim said it is not a tight neck, so I hope I won't have to learn how to turn necks...

I think this is gonna be my new GO-TO bolt gun. I love the 300 Win Mag I did on a 110 action. I used a ER Shaw Barrel and it shoots well under .5 MOA with 180 grain Hornady's and RL22. I'm hoping that the Criterion will shoot just as well. I realize the results I got from my ER shaw barrel are better then some would expect. I think this .260 is gonna be what I have always been looking for!

MPFD yes I get exits with the 123 amax. I am a firm believer of massive hydrostatic shock and as such choose the amax over heavier constucted bullets. I get a 1"-2" entrance and a 2"-4" exit on broadside shots and they are DRT. I can post or PM you some pics of the damage if you wish.

Originally Posted By: kyyotestalkerMPFD yes I get exits with the 123 amax. I am a firm believer of massive hydrostatic shock and as such choose the amax over heavier constucted bullets. I get a 1"-2" entrance and a 2"-4" exit on broadside shots and they are DRT. I can post or PM you some pics of the damage if you wish.

Please and thank you! Have you ever had any splash off a solid hit of bone?

Last edited:
Had a 308 CBI barrel, shot lights out accurate. I would buy another in a heart beat. Basically a Kreiger barrel. I think it button pulled instead of cut.

I sure do wish that my .204 Ruger barrel that I ordered would get here. Ordered it last November and here it is almost March and still waiting.

If if shoots as good as I hope that it will it will be worth the wait but honestly, I thought that it would be here long before now as I was told it would take as little as two or as many as three months from when I ordered it until it got here. Been almost four months so far.

I feel your pain, I ordered two AR barrels for some buddies from work at the end of November. I don't have an attention span long enough for that kinda wait...

No opinon on the barrel as I dont own one.But I do have a 260 with a 28" Krieger running 2775 with 44.2gr of H4350 and 142SMk's.Now unless I have a really slow barrel or everyone elses is really fast I see guys posting speeds 100-150fps faster than mine with 24" tubes and 2-3grs less powder.That being said I'm going with the accuracy load and take what it gives me for speed.Good luck with your build I think your really gonna like the 260!
thumbup.gif

Thank you! I have always wanted one. Ever since I shot my buddies 6.5 swede in a 98k I have been impressed with the .264 caliber. I shoot a Grendel and wanted another bolt gun in 6.5 to play with.

Originally Posted By: BeluebowNo opinon on the barrel as I dont own one.But I do have a 260 with a 28" Krieger running 2775 with 44.2gr of H4350 and 142SMk's.Now unless I have a really slow barrel or everyone elses is really fast I see guys posting speeds 100-150fps faster than mine with 24" tubes and 2-3grs less powder.That being said I'm going with the accuracy load and take what it gives me for speed.Good luck with your build I think your really gonna like the 260!
thumbup.gif

From what I have read, sometimes a button rifled barrel will give a little more speed then the single point cut rifling that many premier barrel makes use. That may be something to do with the higher claims of speed. I know that Criterion is the button rifle division of Krieger or was till they moved out of the building Krieger was housed in as well. I think they are in the process of being bought by a guy that had worked for Mr Krieger since he was 16 and is still very much in ties with Krieger like a sister company.

I have a 20x45 CBI select SS coming from Jim @ NSS, 24" but it will be a heavy sporter not a heavy varmint since its going to be a carry gun.
I have one already and its a shooter, cleans w/ease.
The .260 rem If it was mine Id stick at no less than 22", I prefer 24" though.

Agree'd 22" is the minimum. I'm not sure I wanna go 24" due to weight and handling But I'm leaning toward doing it for speed. Maybe I'll split it at 23", IDK. My first pick would have been a heavy sporter or lighter varmint as well, but I took what he had sitting on the shelf as I wanted to get it together in the coming week as apposed to the waiting months. He told me Friday night I he only had one left and I called him at 9 am Saturday and paid for it. It shipped Monday and is waiting at home for me right now.

Back