shooting between the eyes

Originally Posted By: bomberhatIf you are shooting coyotes between the eyes and your not having any luck you need a bigger gun hahah couldn't resist

Do me a favor?

Stay out of Colorado and Nebraska!!

" Now I have shot at a lot of eyes, and there was a criteria that was determined on several factors such as where and how they act, being the primary two. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck and on the water, at some point it’s a duck.

Be safe not sorry " + 1 , Amen

With the new technology out there (not just NV) and the current atmosphere with gun ownership, we owe it to ourselves to do the right thing the first time and every time. Using the EW Kill lights, I have been able to positivley ID targets far beyond the ranges that they hang up at.

I cannot remember the last time I shot a song dog at night past 100yds.

Make sure you know whats behind your target too.

After 3 years of struggling to learn the ropes of coyotes, we are finally getting areas narrowed down and refining how we set up. We have had chances at about 10 dogs this year but Murphy's law keeps kicking our butt's with houses in the background or yardlights from unknown houses.

Makes it aweful tempting to pull the trigger just as soon as I see eyes, but I would never forgive myself to shoot someones dog. Love mine too much.

I tried to to stay out of this thread but the shooting criteria for some seems a little lax to to say the least.

I have let a lot of coyotes go because I was not 100% sure it was a coyote....especially when I was hunting with red led lights. It is a hard decision sometimes because we all put so much time and effort into calling one in for the shot. However, I have always walked away from letting one go with no regrets because it was the right thing to do. I have also never had to throw a landowners dead Lab in the back of my truck and go apologize for shooting it. My policy is NEVER shoot at eyes unless I have made a positive ID before being presented with that shot.

Instead of saying...."the eyes are close together"...."it moves like a coyote"...."I just heard one howl in that direction"....and all the other reasons you think makes it okay to pull the trigger on a set of eyes; Just suppose your gun was rigged with a gadget called a "Coyote Sensor" and if you take a shot at anything besides a coyote it will blow up in your face....Would you feel so confident now taking a shot at those EYES that you just "KNOW" are a coyote?

Last edited:
Back