Nice morning in Ky

RRPP223

Made 4 sets, two each on different farms. Daybreak set yielded nothing but a beautiful sunrise behind my back and the sounds of the world waking up. A lot of geese and Sandhills sounding off but no coyotes. Second set about 800 yards to the west yielded an abundance of vocal response from two different spots but I couldn't get any takers to close the deal. Moved about 15 miles to second farm and saw one large coyote behind the barn on the way in. Thought about doubling back to try to call him but decided to go with my original plan of moving up the hollow into the west wind. First set on this farm was a 40 minute run of wailing and weeping woodpecker hoping to entice a cat. No takers. Next set up about 600 yds farther up the hollow started with 15 mins of Baybee cottontail, again hoping for a cat response but after 15 mins I felt a need to change up to coyotes and ran a few female long howls followed a minute or two later with a couple minutes of female submissive vocals. I gave the calling a break for a few minutes and switched to coyote pup distress #3. About a minute into pup distress I hear a coyote running in the leaves on the side of the ridge to my right. When I spotted the coyote he was paralleling the hollow about 30 yds up the hill and about even with the caller 50 yds in front of me and the same distance from the edge of the hill. I made a move with the gun as I switched the caller to volle sqeeks and I'm not sure if I got caught or the change in sound stopped him behind a large tree but as soon as I thought to worry about it I noticed the trailing coyote pulling up just behind and lower and obviously nervous. Having both dogs now blocked by trees or departed I switched back to pup distress. Almost immediately I catch one of the coyotes moving back the way it came but not in a retreat and angling towards the bottom, he's making a move to get the wind of the caller I believe. He stops just off the edge of the field and 90 degrees right of my original position but I've already made the move and I let the RockRiver roar. The yote went into a biting spin before taking two more. I should have shot better but all in all it was a wonderful and exciting morning. He had a rubbed spot on his back where his guard hairs were all gone and looked like he'd been sheared to half hair height. So the poor shooting ruined a fur that I wouldn't have saved anyway. Sorry if the pic is a little graphic.
image-3_zpsfd038f45.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
Nice! I appreciate the detail of the story as it helps describe another successful stand so those of us who SUCK at calling can get better.

Thanks Yotecat and YoteYoda!

YoteYoda, I'd love to buy you, PossumAl and Coyote1758 lunch one day, I'd bet you could help me close the deal on these pairs or groups that answer vocals but won't commit. I've got a son still at UK (daughter just graduated) and season FB tickets so I'm in your neighborhood fairly regular.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: RRPP223Thanks Yotecat and YoteYoda!

YoteYoda, I'd love to buy you, PossumAl and Coyote1758 lunch one day, I'd bet you could help me close the deal on these pairs or groups that answer vocals but won't commit. I've got a son still at UK (daughter just graduated) and season FB tickets so I'm in your neighborhood fairly regular.
smile.gif

RRPP223

Next time your in our area shoot one of us a PM and we can make some plans. We have a few places in Bardstown that we hunt so maybe we can meet there sometime. We whack a good number of coyotes every year and it just seems there are more the next year. Just never gets old. Will pass your message onto Coyote1758 & PossumAl.

Yote Yoda USMC

Back