17 HMR for coyotes to small?

Let's be honest. If your hmr rifle isn't killing a coyote, you need to choke up on the barrel a bit and swing harder
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: StevolwevolI took the eye shot thing as a figure of speech... "I can shoot the wings off a fly".

If that is the case, tell me about the last time a coyote was killed with a figure of speech.

Chupa

The .17HMR is by no means a coyote rifle. I hate when I see salespeople at dicks or gander telling people there a great predator rifle and all this crap.

That being said ive killed a bunch of coyotes with a .22lr and .22 short. You have to hit them right behind the ear and they go down hard..........oh yeah forgot to mention they were in traps and it was about 2ft away.

Do yourself a favor and get a real rifle for yotes. I sold my .17 when I had groundhogs crawl off into their holes

Bryan

I love the 17 HMR but I don't use it for coyotes, bobcats or fox. Not saying it wont kill them when you put the bullet in the right place. I use mine for Grey Diggers, Sage Rats and close in P-Dogs. Not for Silver Greys cause it blows them up to bad.

If it is all you have or can use I say use it, just be sure of your shot.

I wonder how the new 17 Rim Fire will be for coyotes say up to 125 YDS.

DAB

My Dad and I both have the same model Savage 17 HMRs. He lives on a farm and thinks this gun is just about the best thing since sliced bread. That said, he likes to pick off a wide variety of "pests". Doesn't really care if something crawls off to die or not. I personally have yet to figure out what my HMR does better than my 22-250...

JMHO....I will never own a 17HMR. Other than punching paper, I can't see using this caliber for hunting. I am a little overweight and lazy 52 year old guy and don't like chasing wounded amimals, when I can use something a little bigger and kill it dead right there.

I might buy a 17 hmr for the egg shoot at the gun club, but that's the extent of my use for this caliber. I do believe in humane kills regardless of whether it's game or vermin.

Back