First call in - WAY to jazzed!

1buba

:-D
Just got back from opening weekend of deer season (Calif - zone D5). Deer was a bust - expected it. What I didn't expect was all of the coyote sign! Look like they were herdin the little devils through the area we were hunting. Anyway - before leaving the stand to head home today I asked my buddy if I could try calling in a 'yote or two. I dropped down from the rock he was on - 'bout 15 foot below, and started calling. Withing 2 minutes I heard some noise and possibly growling to my left. As I was trying to locate the sound, I saw something in my peripheral vision I saw something streak through a clearing. I knew it was a coyote, but it looked black (apparently due to being in the shade). I looked up on the rock behind me and saw my buddy tracking in with his scope. I waited for a second and was afraid the coyote wouldn't stop. I went ahead and tried a quik yip and he stopped dead (!) in a clearing. My buddy hit him once and knocked him about 5 feet or so. Took OFF the near side shoulder. Unfortunately he had to hit him once more. What was left of the pelt looked really good. They seem to be ready for winter. I couldn't care less about my deer tag now. :)
Couple of questions if you would indulge me...
1.) 'Yote was about the size of a beagle, but a tad longer. Would this be about right for the area (those of you who would know)?
2.) We saw a total of 6 dogs over ~20 hours in the field. I thinking if nothing else this would be a great start for that comforter my daughter wants for her bed. Any decent web sites to make sure I treat them right? I think I can do a case skin now, but not sure after that...

Thanks alot.
steve

Sounds like a blast Steve! Congrats.

I'm not real familiar with the size of a beagle to be honest but most the coyotes I get are about the size of a border collie that I once had. This time of year size varies greatly. Pups are responding to the calls too. Most of the pups are close to the same height of an adult coyote now but considerably lighter and more narrow chested. Pups are averaging about 15lbs right now, give or take a few pounds, and adults run 23 to 26lbs typically in my area. 30+ is a big coyote here.

Later, Curt

Steve,

Sounds like you have found yourself a good area to call coyotes. You can bet if your seeing that many there are many more that your not seeing.

Good luck on that comforter.

------------------

Back