.222 fur friendly loads

firecat220

im bout to buy a savage .222 and i have never owned a triple duece. i need some fur friendly recipes for it. i want a round that will go in and kill and leave no fur damage to my cats foxes or yotes. thanks for the help. God Bless

Originally Posted By: dennydThat's what we all want

...and a load that will shoot flat to 300 yardes, and buck a 20MPH cross wind and not deflect on impact with a small branch....

Sorry...Its all a trade off...I liked the heavier .22 bullets, they seem to poke holes and not blow up...but the animal will likely get a few steps after the shot...the 50gr bullets seem to be a good compromise...and with the .222 you don't have the velocity "Splash" that some other loading will give....

I seem to have the least fur damage with a softpoint bullet, even though I get more exits with these.

Try the Sierra 55gr Gameking, softpoint boattail. Very accurate and works pretty well.

I load 40 V-MAX's with 21.0 of IMR-4198 and CCI 400 primers. These have given my 222 a new lease on life. Very accurate bullet, boat tail - so nice to work with for reloading and capable of going distance, and this load drives 'em 3300 fps out of my old Rem 700 BDL. (24" barrel)

I routinely use this gun for predators and it hasn't done too bad. Small entry, and usually explodes inside the critter.

Solid 200-250 yard kills with this one. Nothing crawls off!

I have good luck with both Remington and Winchester bulk bullets in both the 222 and 223. Use the 50 grain in the slow twist barrels and the 55 in 1x12. I have found the 1x9 twist is a challenge to keep cup and core bullets together at faster speeds.

Originally Posted By: RONINFLAGa 50 grain hornady sx and 21.5 of i-4198 or a 40 grain balistic tip and 22.5 i 4198

X2 on the hornandy sx .......... keep it under 3k fps

Back