17 hmr for cape buffalo?

CSM52

Just wondering if a 17 hmr would be to big and would cause harm to the hide and skin of the somewhat fragile cape buffalo?

lol just adding and throwing some humor around. Not mocking anyone im actually in search of a 17 caliber rifle.

If you let them get to a less explosive range, like 5 or 6 hundred yards, you shouldn't ruin the hide.

Curious ... what does a prime Cape buffalo hide go for these days?

Ofcourse this is only a working theory thus far. But according to my mathematics, if one were to fire the 20 gr XTP from a 17HMR directly over the back of a Cape buffalo and allow the projectile to make the circumference of the earth...in theory, it should have shed enough velocity by the time it came back around to not have been overly destructive.

I think.

Chupa

will work iff'n you use the new 20 grain hp's. don't use the vmaxe's
blink.gif

If the shot is less than 500 yards i would say all you will have left is a little poop and some horn dust. Maybe even a crater below where the buffalo was standing

Well after the explosion when the bullet hits all the others surrounding (if not killed by the boom) would most likely have the poop scared out of them

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOfcourse this is only a working theory thus far. But according to my mathematics, if one were to fire the 20 gr XTP from a 17HMR directly over the back of a Cape buffalo and allow the projectile to make the circumference of the earth...in theory, it should have shed enough velocity by the time it came back around to not have been overly destructive.

I think.

Chupa

Please make sure that you step to one side so the bullet doesn't strike you in the back of the head....duh.
wink.gif

And just think! Some of the greatest minds on earth theorize that dinosaurs went extinct because a giant meteor hit our plant...ppffff! We all know the truth is that the terminal planetary event coincides with the invention of the HMR.

That's also what happened to all the unicorns, look it up.

Chupa

You guys are so dumb....

EVERYONE knows all you have to do is scale down to the 17 gr and the hide will be just fine. I have a friend who knows a guy whose brother shot a cape buffalo dead at 450 yds with his hmr and nothing but a pinhole entrance. Turned the entire insides to beef stew. DRT.

Back