why flyers???

jeepnsammys

maybe theres no answer but im gonna ask anyway. what causes the first shot flier? what ive seen is the first shot is always off target a little or sometimes alot depending on gun. it seems to be worse on my ar then my bolt guns but still noticable even on the bolt guns?

Barrel temperature or if you've cleaned your gun you will usually have 1 or 2 fouling shots before they start hitting good. Plus we are human and don't always make a perfect first shot!!!

Originally Posted By: Jabey9210Barrel temperature or if you've cleaned your gun you will usually have 1 or 2 fouling shots before they start hitting good.

Also depending on the rifle you are using, it may taken up to 5 or even more "cold" shots with some rifles. So if you EXPECT the first few shots to be fliers, you won't be disappointed. Thats why we shoot foulers to warm up and foul the barrel a bit as well.

Personally i blame most fliers on the shooter
smile.gif
. Its too easy to blame that "1" flier on the machine.

Look guys- let me help you out here, OK? OK? Here's what you gotta do and do it every time. Do it right and the chicks will be on you like stink on shi....I mean....flies on sugar.

OK- you're shooting a group-right? Let's say that it is a five shot group here- right? Are we good so far? Here comes the part that you absolultely cannot forget: When one of your bullets hit outside you cluster that you were trying for it is ALWAYS a flier. No matter if you pulled it or not it matters not it is ALWAYS the gun (or the ammo) that is the issue and you are doing your gosh dandest to get it fixed because by golly that's just what you do. IF you were shooting a 10 shot group and three were in the middle and all the rest were scatterd all over the target (and hopefully your paper is big enough) then all of those are simply fliers by golly they are not your fault and something needs to be none about it and you are just the person to do it. Trust me on this.

And if the entire target looks like someone had been patterning his 20 gauge shotgun loaded with #4 buck in it then so be it. Wonder how bad it really would have been had you not been there to control it as good as you could. Give it a try.

Works for me. At least, I think it does sometimes.

Many barrels shoot better when a little dirty...Going to the range or field with a pristine clean barrel is asking for a variation in groupings...

For hunting purposes where the first shot is possibly all you will get, leave your rifle slightly fouled when you put it away and you will pretty well be able to know where that first shot is going...It won't hurt the barrel unless you are going to leave it sit for six months in the safe...

New ARs in particular don't seem to shoot really good until you've run 100-200 rounds through them as a 'break in' anyway...Whenever I've got my hands on a new one, I'll run a hundred rounds of the cheapest military FMJ through it, just to burnish the bore, before I start building hand loads for it...

If I'm shooting for groups, I'll run through 8-10 rounds before I ever consider expecting tight little groups..then, if I get a 'flier', it's usually because I realized that I a good group forming after 3-4 shots and broke my concentration by thinking about how good it was looking, rather than concentrating on how I was holding the weapon, my sight picture, or my breathing control. or my trigger squeeze...It's more a mental thing than anything else...

Originally Posted By: NdIndyPersonally i blame most fliers on the shooter
smile.gif
. Its too easy to blame that "1" flier on the machine.

+1

Practice is the key IMHO,dont just shoot for groups practice the cold bore shot.In a hunting situation your going to get one shot and maybe a follow up,the first one needs to count.Having confidence knowing where that first round is gonna land is priceless.
thumbup.gif

Cold bore shots from my 223 and 243 at 200yrds
photo-15_zpsa00d924d.jpg

Last edited:
Back