22 LONG RIFLE ammo

Remingtonman

I dont know if any you hunting/shooting fellows know about why we have such a shortage on .22 l.r ammo right now, but Ive heard that the US military is buying up all of it for their practice ammunition at the range due, to .223/5.56 cost and shortages. There is a 3month back log on most of the .22 ammo that is being produced right now.

People are stockpiling it. Cheap and easy to store a lot of .22LR Between the last panic of 2007/2008 and this panic. I bought plenty for my needs. Give it 6 months, then buy a bunch, put it in sealed ammo cans. Then you will be prepared. I have a single shot, So my needs are small for a SHTF gun.

I actually found some Remington 225 round boxes at Wallyworld today! They where 9.97 a box and would only sell you 3 boxes of them. The man in sporting goods told me they got them around noon and by 3:30 when I was there they had already sold over a hundred boxes of them! He said they would be out before 9pm. Wish I had someone else to buy 3 more boxes before they where gone.

I don't buy that it's the gov fault. It's all the people that are buying it all up and hoarding and I'm guilty myself. I work at an Army Depot and ship ammo and we sent a few cases out but nothing out of the ordinary. We still have bunkers full of 22 LR.

I don't buy into the government thing either. I was at a Farm and Fleet store two days ago and they were braking out two cases of Rem. 550 22 rounds. I wouldn't think a small vendor like that would be able to get them if they were truly scarce. The real problem is with guys like me- I bought three
bricks even though I don't need them right now.

With all the budget cuts in the DOD right now, they are not buying up all the ammo. It is the people buying it up and then trying to sell it for a hefty profit. Good ole American greed. I find it for sale here locally and the people want $60 for a $20 box of ammo.

Originally Posted By: Yukon21according to the you - tube from CCI they make 4 million rounds of .22 rimfire a day. Now where is that going?

Let me put it to you like this. A couple weeks ago I was in Cabelas. They had Federal metal ammo cans with 2100 rds or 4 boxes of 525 in them. Limit was 10 cans. Between myself and 6 other guys that all bought 10 cans each we cleared them out of all they had. That's 147,000 rds in 10 min gone. I can also tell you it's not just happening here.

On a side note I didn't keep all the ammo myself I only kept 2 cans and sold the rest to my family and close friends for what I paid for it that couldn't find any.

What does the government use 22lr ammo for? Training rifles or what? Just wandering because I didn't realize they used it.

Originally Posted By: DBlairVA What does the government use 22lr ammo for? Training rifles or what? Just wandering because I didn't realize they used it.

If you mean our government yes mainly training. Some of our allies use 22LR as there primary weapons though.

Last edited:
Back