204 reloading questions.

Borden811

My 204 shoots the Hornady 32 gr factory vmax ammo great, 1/2-3/4 inch at 100. The same ammo loaded with 40gr shoots 1 1/2 inches at 100. I'm going to start reloading. Do you guys think I should stick with just 32 gr bullets, or do you think I could get the 39 gr blitzkings, or 40 gr bergers to group good. The rifle is a browning A bolt II varmint. Also, if you had to pick one powder for the 204, what would it be? I already have some varget, thinking about getting some benchmark, and some 4895.

For coyotes most everyone seems to like the 35 Berger as very lethal and they shoot very accurately. Some rifles that won't stablize the 40 vmax will do okay with the 39 sbk. I've killed 20 coyotes with 32 vmax and they did fine, but I stayed off the big bones. Also killed a couple with the 39's as well and they did fine too. H4895 is good.

I like IMR 8208 XBR as well, but as you know every rifle is different with lots of good powders to choose from under normal conditions. Finding powders might be a problem for a while.

Varget shot plenty accurate for me but velocity was a little slower. I doubt the coyotes or pd's will know the difference.

Lots of 20 cal bullets out there to try,,, just gotta figure out what your particular rifle likes. Maybe try the 34gr Dogtowns or 35gr Bergers before going to the heavier 39 or 40 grainers. 204's are known to be generally easy to load for compared to others. Keep in mind they like a sizable "jump" to the lands ... so be sure & play with seating depths. Try several primers too. Most of all, have fun!

wink.gif

Alot of guns don't seem to like the 40gr vmax cause its a long bullet and the std twist of a 204 is on the edge of stabilizing this bullet. Some will some won't. Most rifles will shoot the 39gr Sierra and the 40gr Berger. If you have 4895 then you are in luck. Great powder for the 204!

My Savage .204 never shot the heavier bullets as well as it shot the lighter ones. It really did seem to like the 34 grain Dogtowns a lot (5 in a hole the size of end of your pinkie finger) and all of the various 32 grain bullets shot half inch in it.

I am having a new barrel made from CBI that is a 1-11" twist that should be able to shoot the 32-40 grain range all well.

I have a A-Bolt II in .204 also. Mine didn't like 32s but loved the 40s with factory Hornady ammo. I have never had trouble getting good groups with the 40 v-maxs or bergers. Gonna try the 35 bergers soon. IMR 8208 and H4895 have been working good for me.

Well, I stopped at the local shop today. Ended up with 35gr bergers, 32 gr nosler btips, and benchmark. No 4895 to be found. I guess I'll start with what I have and see how that goes.

Originally Posted By: RustydustI am having a new barrel made from CBI that is a 1-11" twist that should be able to shoot the 32-40 grain range all well.

I'm at a loss to understand why the gun companies haven't figured this out.

Back