nosler custom brass??reviews wanted

jasent

The nosler custom brass is all I can find locally for 300win mag. has/is anyone using them. If so did you like them? How concentric are they lot to lot? Any troubles?
Thanks for any info/opions

Originally Posted By: jasentThe nosler custom brass is all I can find locally for 300win mag. has/is anyone using them. If so did you like them? How concentric are they lot to lot? Any troubles?
Thanks for any info/opions

It's "OK", but over priced. These days, if you need 300 WM brass and it's all you can find, then buy it.

I would rather have Winchester.

I have 100 peace's of win brass and I'm not happy with its neck consistency at all.87% of them very by .004. I dont have a neck turner yet but shaving .004 seems alot to me. I'm getting alot of run out. I changed my dies to a Colette die and get .002-.004 run out but then when I load them up run out is .008-.013. I dont think it's me or my dies cause the 13 cases with .001 neck thickness variation have no troubles at all. Maybe I just got a poor lot of win brass. I anneal every 3 firings with this caliber so I dont think its a over working problem

Last edited:
I'm not sure where its made or by who. I bought it out of desperation and hope I'm happy with it. After I put it threw a rigorous inspection and sort I will fire form and work up my load. I'll post a review. I'll be using re-22 and Berger 185 hunting vld's

Originally Posted By: SmokelessIsn't the Nosler brass made for them by Norma? Or is it just some of the Nosler brass that is Norma made? IDK

Norma makes some of it - Winchester makes some of it. They will not tell you which.

If you want the best, then just get Norma 300 WM brass and don't worry.

Wondering what tools you used to measure neck thickness and runout on the loaded rounds? I have never personally heard of neck walls varying that much in thickness but in all fairness, I have only turned necks on 22 caliber.
If all I could get was Nosler, I would buy it. Otherwise I would not spend my money on anything priced between Winchester and Norma/Lapua. I agree with Catshooter here, it's overpriced.

I measured the neck thickness with an rcbs concentricity set up. Not sure it's exact name but it has a set up for measuring neck thickness and head separation,and concentricity of loaded or non loaded rounds, I do have to add a little pressure on the roller to get accurate readings with the 300wm brass cause its so heavy but only for neck thickness,I measured my hornady brass for the 243 with no troubles at all. I won't throw them out till I've verified it with a neck thickness gage from another make but I can tell from my results that my win brass is very inconsistent to say the least

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jasentI measured the neck thickness with an rcbs concentricity set up. Not sure it's exact name but it has a set up for measuring neck thickness and head separation,and concentricity of loaded or non loaded rounds, I do have to add a little pressure on the roller to get accurate readings with the 300wm brass cause its so heavy but only for neck thickness,I measured my hornady brass for the 243 with no troubles at all. I won't throw them out till I've verified it with a neck thickness gage from another make but I can tell from my results that my win brass is very inconsistent to say the least

Are you measuring new cases or fired and sized cases.

Originally Posted By: hawkeye reloaderWondering what tools you used to measure neck thickness and runout on the loaded rounds? I have never personally heard of neck walls varying that much in thickness but in all fairness, I have only turned necks on 22 caliber.
If all I could get was Nosler, I would buy it. Otherwise I would not spend my money on anything priced between Winchester and Norma/Lapua. I agree with Catshooter here, it's overpriced.
The .008-.013 was run out not thickness. I had .003-.004 variance in neck thickness on each case

I got a box of the Nosler brass for me .243...Not worth it IMO. I had to do just as much prepping on the Nosler's cases as the Win's. Think I'll just stick with Win. and Norma when I can find it.

The box of 300 win mag brass I bought impressed me, neckthickness varied by less than .001". Trim length was the same

This is what Nosler does

http://www.nosler.com/Brass/Custom-Brass.aspx

I use their brass in my 280AI and I neck up some Nosler 6.5x284 brass for my 284.

I think my neck vary .0015 mike 4/5 spot around necks. I've just started shooting the 6.5x284 brass so far pretty good. Gunsmith used 6.5x284 Norma reamer then throated for the 7mm so got pretty good chamber.

About the only thing I may do on any brass I use might clean up the necks.

I've had pretty good luck with Nosler brass and I've been on other site's some like it others don't. It's pricey and unless you get same run # on each box there may be a different in weight.

I just bought my first 50pk of nosler brass in .223 rem. I checked every measurement & it is some of the most consistent brass I have ever had. All cases were within 1.7 grains of eachother case necks were concentic, neck thickness was .0125 thou, primer pockets and flashole was round and centered. Oh and trimmed to .0015 thou. I'd buy more if I could find it.

I've had very good luck with it, the cases that I've purchased ( 280AI & '06 )were very uniform and concentric.
As mentioned earlier the downside is that its expensive.

Back