Are the .17cals really All That?

Originally Posted By: duckdogTim,
I gathered parts all last summer while Dan did the barrel work and I finally got it all together and dialed in about the last of September. This was it's first season.
I really like the "blueprint" and I'll probably build another one like it sometime.

Nice, I was thinking it was pretty new.
thumbup1.gif

OK guys, you have caught my eye with the .17s. Actually I've been wanting a .17 of some sort for quite a while, but you guys have really got me in the mood to spend more of my hard-earned money. Seems this forum does that a fellow.

Here's some questions. I'm in learning mode.

If you were going to hunt fox, coyote and bobcat (for pelts and for putting them on the ground) at relatively close ranges, say under 150 yards, and more like 75, which .17 would you choose? I realize that's going from rather small to large critters, but just wondering if there is one particular round that just stands out among the others for that task.

Next, what bullet? I know every one says get the Berger 25 match. Problem is those can't be found, so it has to be something else. Which bullet?

What about the Berger 20 gr. and 25 gr. varmint bullets? Any good, worthless?

How do the Shilen barrels in .17 calibers work out? I notice Shilen has ready-made barrels for Savage. Any one have experience with the Shilen, good or bad?

Thanks.

17FB shooting 25gr Hornady HP's or 20gr Bergers.
Shilen barrels are top shelf but don't count on getting a Savage to feed the FB reliably.

6mm06- I have been running a shilen on a 17 MIV savage and have got along real well.Killed a whole lot of prairie dogs and a several coyotes with it using the 20 grain dogtown bullets. Shot the coyotes from 45-225 yards and all have dropped at the shot but one. The accuracy allows for pretty good shot placement. Have shot prairie dogs out to 400 with it, but don't intend to shoot at that range on coyotes. The one knock I have on this rig is that is pretty much single shot only, and a repeater would be much more handy for me.

6mm06~

I had your same concerns on which .17 would satisfy my needs most. I think I finally settled on the .17 Rem because it gives me the option of downloading to Fireball speeds. Plus the fact that I could get the .17 Rem in the LVSF was icing on the cake for me! Great walking varminters IMO. I plan to shoot a 25gr bullet. Hornady hp's or the Kindler Golds. From all the info I have gathered, it just seems the 25 grainers must be a great fit for the .17 Rem.

Repete, when you mention 20 gr. Bergers, are you referring to the Varmint bullets which are available? I don't have the information readily available, so please remind me of the normal velocity of the Fireball? How about loading down one of the other calibers, such as .17 Remington? Good idea, bad?

Is the .17 Remington or the .17-204 too much gun for fox and bobcats? I'm sure they will anchor coyotes, but what about the smaller critters and pelt damage?

Originally Posted By: 6mm06

If you were going to hunt fox, coyote and bobcat (for pelts and for putting them on the ground) at relatively close ranges, say under 150 yards, and more like 75, which .17 would you choose? I realize that's going from rather small to large critters, but just wondering if there is one particular round that just stands out among the others for that task.

... of course,,, the new 17HH or even 17WSM might fit your needs/wants rather well.
grin.gif

6MM,,, I shoot 20gr Nagels in my FB. They're similar to Bergers old Target bullets. I can't/don't keep up with what they're offering these days, but if they still offer that bullet I'd shoot it. A quick trip to their web-site will answer that question.
My load with Chans 20's runs 3850 and does a good job on Coyotes and Cats out to 200. No Fox around here so I can't say but common sense tells me a 20 grainer will do less damage than a 25 to a Fox.
As far as loading down (or up)? That's never interested me so someone else will have to field that one.

OK guys, you have caught my eye with the .17s. Actually I've been wanting a .17 of some sort for quite a while, but you guys have really got me in the mood to spend more of my hard-earned money. Seems this forum does that a fellow.

Hahaha
Another poor soul gets sucked into the small caliber fray...

Hey 6mm06, it's all downhill from here!

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: duckdog
It's more about being able to push the 30's to the same speed as the 17 Rem pushes the 25's.

That's it in a nut shell!
I've always tried to run 25's as close to 4000 as possible in my 17Rem's.

ShortDraw,, when you say---" I just chronoed my KHornet over 3900 with a 20gr. I will be around 4100 with a 15gr."---are you referring to the 17HH/AH?

My 17AH holds just a tich more powder than the HH and it's really rough on primer pockets when I get up around 3900 with 20's. I run em at a safe and comfortable 3650, but I don't shoot predators with it either.
K Hornet is just a slightly steeper shoulder angle than the Ackley hornet. The 30 grain load velocities posted are very good. I didn't realize you coyote guys liked those 30's so much but makes sense I guess. Anyone ever work with the 37gr VLD's? Guessing you'd run an 8 twist barrel for them?

Furhunter,

Yea, I'm easy prey I'm afraid. This darn website has cost me a ton of money. Seems there's always something new just around the corner that I really "need." You know how it is.

Furhunter,

Yea, I'm easy prey I'm afraid. This darn website has cost me a ton of money. Seems there's always something new just around the corner that I really "need." You know how it is.

How about another video? "17cal Groundhogs" has a ring to it
grin.gif
. I know we can find you some victims and shooters for guest appearances to keep those little bores warm between fur seasons. In the name of science and bullet testing of course
whistle.gif

Corey, that sounds interesting. Maybe in the not-to-distant future we might work on that. This summer I need to finish up Rimfire Groundhogs first.

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbySorry ... keep forgetting that I'm on your "ignore list". What's a guy gotta do to be taken off that thing? I would like to think we could find some sorta common ground.
smile.gif

Well ... it's official folks! Repete is the one & only member who has ever made me have to use the "ignore" feature on this site. What comes around, goes around.

I think we need to change something on this site. If a member has me, for instance, on their "ignore list" I feel they should not be allowed to participate in a thread that I'm the OP of .... right? I mean, I am being ignored so stay the heck away.
angry.gif

Anyone else wanna put me on their ignore list?
cursing.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: mnshortdrawCrap, I'm sitting on piles of 17Rem brass. Longest kill for me is 315 yards on a 20lb Alaskan fox. Nagels bullets are great, bergers are OK, but I'm really liking the lathe turned all copper hollow points I got from my gunsmith. The Rem is a little much for short range fox so I switched to a K Hornet for up close shots.
Blaine Eddy is rolling in his grave with all this talk if 17's not big enough for coyotes. He also used to use a 14-221 for yotes along with a 17Rem and that man killed more yotes than anyone here. God rest his soul. that is funny myself and my hunting partner helped him get started and even showed him how to skin one.he found my first 17.rem.

Last edited:
Does anyone here have some experience with H-G Firearms? Also, would you know if their bullets are usually in stock? I looked their site up over the weekend & their bullets are reasonably priced IMO. I might just have to give them a call here one day. They offer a 27gr bullet, but I did notice their bullets are all flat-base.

Anyone wanna comment?

Back