Hornady Progressive or Dillon 550

billsr25

So guys which do you think is the better way to go. Hornady progressive or Dillon 550? I've been using a single stage and now want to step it up a little. Thanks.

Ok, first off we are comparing apples and oranges. The Hornady compares more to the Dillon 650. Both machines are 5 station auto index. The 550 is a 4 station manual index.

I say the following owning a Dillon 550. I think any of the three machines will do a great job and pump out an amazing amount of ammo. The one thing I will say about the Hornady is that the shell plates and the die quick locks can be bought most everywhere. With the Dillon you pretty much have to order the caliber conversion kit and tool head from Dillon or Brian Enos.

I bought the 550 because I prefer the manual index. That way if something happens during the cycle I can recover more easily. Also I did buy the 550 case feeder. It supposed to only do pistol, but I modified the cam plate so it could do rifle.

It comes down to this, do your research and try to figure out which one might suit you better. With either one I don't think you can make a bad decision.

Quote:I bought the 550 because I prefer the manual index. That way if something happens during the cycle I can recover more easily.

It's amazing the amount of people that are put off because a press doesn't auto index. After owning a 550's for almost 20 years I don't think I would like one that did auto index for the reason you listed. It's not like it's a big effort to index the shell plate anyways. A flick of the thumb on the left hand right before placing the bullet in the 3rd stage is all it takes. With experience it becomes automatic anyways.

Don't do it! I mean don't go progressive. My 550 goes too fast. Especially now with the component shortage, you'll be ripping through the 200 primers you found in just a few minutes and then you'll have nothing to do!

file-96.jpg

We moved last spring and I have not finished my loading room. In fact, you'll see I don't even have the 550 put back together. For now it is a cap rack. There are two trays of 44SP brass there ready for powder and bullets and it will be Monday before I get them done.

Like some other things in life, things I no longer remember, where going fast isn't necessarily better!
thumbup.gif

I think Claimbuster and I would get along fine. The Energizer Bunny can follow the Lemmings. I still prefer to load rifle cartridges with my old second hand RCBS press, and when I do warm up the 550B, turning out a slow 200 pistol rounds in a hour is fast enough.

Originally Posted By: kiddjrOk, first off we are comparing apples and oranges. The Hornady compares more to the Dillon 650. Both machines are 5 station auto index. The 550 is a 4 station manual index.

I say the following owning a Dillon 550. I think any of the three machines will do a great job and pump out an amazing amount of ammo. The one thing I will say about the Hornady is that the shell plates and the die quick locks can be bought most everywhere. With the Dillon you pretty much have to order the caliber conversion kit and tool head from Dillon or Brian Enos.

I bought the 550 because I prefer the manual index. That way if something happens during the cycle I can recover more easily. Also I did buy the 550 case feeder. It supposed to only do pistol, but I modified the cam plate so it could do rifle.

It comes down to this, do your research and try to figure out which one might suit you better. With either one I don't think you can make a bad decision.

I'd add one thing to this - Dillon parts and kits are available thru Dillon dealers too, some of which frequent gun shows and such. Also, used stuff on ebay, craiglist, etc is still covered under the no BS/lifetime warranty, but right now isn't cheaper on ebay than new from Dillon! Don't know much about the Hornady's. Dillon's a great co. with a great warranty and customer service. 'Course, Hornady's no slouch on CS either so far as I know. My 550 works well for me and, as mentioned above, is nice to be able to back up manually if you wish to change something. JMHO.

Back