What is the largest initial group that you shrunk to MOA or better?

I use the ladder method for my 22-250 using 50g vmax. I.had been using the superformance factory load and was shocked how slowing it down from the factory load with Varget dramatically changed my group. I seat to the COL in the hornady manual I found being two loads away from max dropped the group from 2.25 to just under 1. I think I could tweak further but will wait for the shortages to be over. Don't have the numbers with me to share. Also using CcI primers.

I'm no expert but I have always been able to get my rifles to shoot very well, and it wasn't by using the same method you are using, or lack of. You really need to pick a powder and start low and work up in .5gr incriments with the bullet jumping about .015. Once you reach a max load, look back over all the loads and note which powder charge gave you the best group. Now, take that load and begin moving the bullet out closer to the lands .005 and reshoot a 5 shot group. Once you reach the lands and none of those loads help you can try seating the bullet .020 off the lands and even try .025 off the lands. If you do not acheive your desired results try a different powder.

Back