Hunting by moonlight?

Big95xj

Hey guys i was just curious how well you can see through a scope and all that when hunting by the moon light with snow on the ground? I am curious becuase ive been wanting to go at night but if i read the rules here in MO you can hunt at night you just cant use artificial light. So i was thinking with the snow on the ground and a clear night with a good moon it may be bright enough to see therough the scope but ive never tried. Any opinions? Also ive been out of the game for a couple months due to a new baby so any insight as to what they are responding too would be very helpful as well. Thanks Bryant

Originally Posted By: wvyotehunter68Depends on the scope. I can see good out of mine. Depends if ur in a field or woods also. Ill be using a Nikon Coyote Special hunting open fields....

I just have a simmons scope, nothing special, and can be confident with a 100 yard shot in an open field with a good moon and snow.

Well, you sure have the snow for it and lucky enough to have the moon also. You should remember a couple things:

1. You cannot use electronic callers at night here in Mo.
2. You will need to hide just as well as you do in the daytime.
3.Take your binos. Between calling use your binos in the open ground.

You will be surprised how well you can see at night. Your binos will help you pick out animals over 100 yards alot better. Keep your scope turned down. Not enough snow here this time. You guys have the market cornered on that. Best of luck!

I have a cheap centerpoint scope on my gun and can see perfectly to about 200yds with a full moon & no snow. I shot 2 that way, 1 at 120 yards and the other at 223 yards. The scope is illuminated also, BUT after turning it on and all it did was wash out the tube and cant see out the scope I dont bother to use it except for early am & dusk.
The way coyotes are facing makes a big difference also since the fur looks dark one way and stands out much lighter the other way.
With snow I can go 300 yds and still be 100% sure its a coyote.
I did get a green laser designator light after those times though.

Today would have been a very good day to hunt Coyotes by the Moon..and we had a decent snow so You better get on it!

My Leupold 3x9x40mm Rifleman Scope does very good in low light condition....I was actually set up this evening to sit until after dark if needed to hunt Coyotes.I had my Natural Gear Snow Camo on and was sitting up in my 15' Big Game ladder stand early this evening,the moon was coming up early and is usually to my back when rising and shining out in the long open Ridge Field in front of me.The Field is partially mowed and was covered in a nice thick blanket of sleet,snow and a covering of freezing rain too.

I got lucky and ended my Hunt early this evening....probably make a Post about it!
laugh.gif
wink.gif

Back