Ammunition ....

kc_hhsl

My guess everyone is having a hard to find ammunition in sufficient supplies. In our area finding 223 is next to impossible - I know I've got to learn how to reload.

Anyhow - the rumors I've heard is that a lot of the shortage is due to the filling orders for the federal government and the LEOs. Don't know if there is any truth to this.

Anyone know or heard anything else ... or when supplies will start making it to retail establishments.

If I recall correctly in 2009, which is still a different situation than now, it was September before I could go into my local shops and get whatever I was looking for. Looking at some of the "date available"s on various websites, I am guessing it will be the same thing this go-around.

Originally Posted By: Smokin BarrelIf I recall correctly in 2009, which is still a different situation than now, it was September before I could go into my local shops and get whatever I was looking for. Looking at some of the "date available"s on various websites, I am guessing it will be the same thing this go-around.

It will be sooner - people are starting to realize that Obama can't pass doodley squat, so the panic is already over.

He can't ban anything.

2nd time i have been in this boat, and if it ever comes back, i will never suffer like this again! it is a sad day when a 7yr old wants to go shoot the 22 and you cant because there isnt a brick of 22lr anywhere!! f%^&*$$ retarded!!!!!

Originally Posted By: jarheadhunterYeah still people paying crazy prices. Guy selling 8# varget for $300 and said he had people begging him to sell it to them.

I placed an order mid Jan with midsouthshooterssupply which included an #8 jug of varget ($145) and it shipped yesterday. People are willing to pay these stupid prices because they just gotta have RIGHT NOW what they can't easily purchase.

I have a buddy who teaches 6th grade, Saturday one of his students, and his dad, came to the door wanting to buy some 22 from him. The kid had got a 22 for his birthday but couldn't find any ammo to line it up. Buddy gave him a brick and asked him to replace it whenever he could. Can't imagine getting a new gun at 12 years old and not being able to shoot it.

you kinow shanedog, i find it ironic that CCI on the you tube says they produce 4 million 22 bullets every day, and to think they are only one producer, you kind of wonder where they are going or where they are or are they producing?

The present shortages in both ammo and reloading components are 99% due to crazed panic buying and hoarding. Much of it by hysterical Chicken Littles who rarely, if ever actually shoot a gun.

The millitary does not suddenly decide to buy massive amounts of ammo. Millitary procurment is ordering years ahead of the demand, not months or weeks.

The urban legend going around that the "Federal Government" is stocking up on billions of rounds of ammo to "wage a war against its citizens" has been thoroughly debunked and it was based on leaps of logic that are too retarded to bother going into here.

The bottom line is as soon as the hoarders quit hoarding, normal supply levels will start to reappear. At a guess, I'd say sometime in July-August.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: Yukon21you kinow shanedog, i find it ironic that CCI on the you tube says they produce 4 million 22 bullets every day, and to think they are only one producer, you kind of wonder where they are going or where they are or are they producing?

+1
Sure am glad I took up reloading, and happened to have a decent amount of supplies and a couple boxes of 22 LR.
I`m going to start buying a box of 12Ga. every so often..don`t reload shotshells. Been buying 3.5" Turkey loads at about $13.00 per 10..yikes!

I disagree. The Department of Homeland Security is NOT the military. 2 billion rounds is not fiction. I'm not saying the Feds are going to wage war on US citizens, but you can't tell me they aren't nervous for some civil unrest when the US dollar continues to plummet.

I think the morons in the Government are intentially adding to the problem.
I also think that if you have enough to get by, I plan to sit back and wait... In 9 months when this blows over, people will start to wonder what they are going to do with 100,000 22lr bullets and investors that are sitting on this stuff, will start to sell and the prices will fall to where they were before the election again.

I wouldn't start reloading now.. It's to expensive, and you can read and learn, but buy the equipment when people that didn't do it before realize they don't really shoot that much and don't have space for the stuff, and pick it up on the cheap.

After the last panic in 2009, i did just that and got a loading press and all the equipment for half of what it is sell at now. I bought used ammo can's and filled them with what i would need to be able to shoot normally for 3 years.
Once the prices drop, I would suggest the same thing.
I have one can for the kids of 22lr that has more than 6000K rounds I am not worried.. It will take them years to shoot that with their single shot bolt action guns.

If you don't reload now, my suggestion would be to buy a 5 gallon bucket and save all the brass you come across. even if you don't plan on reloading now.. By the time that fills up, you will be ready to start, and then you will have the brass to do so. Even if you don't start to reload, you can then sell the brass and use it to buy more ammunition.

Last edited:
I had an abstract thought that the ammo shortage is being done purposely until zero can tax the heck out of it and have manditory background checks done on anybody and every body that buys bulk powder/components to BBs. I called Scheels the other day looking for powder and they said they havent had a shipment since Sandy Hook. Zero may have a hard time treading on the 2nd but he can sure as heck do whatever he wants with the ammo......

I would bet that alot of those gun sales and ammo that people have bought in a frenzy are newbies also. I also bet they will end up selling them when everything calms down and will take a huge loss in doing so. I found my R 15,2 of them, one for 1600 and another for 1400. I will wait a few months and get one for 1100.

I saw that add.... I figured he was nuts. Didn't even want to ask where he was that he can get those prices. Keep an eye on your local powder shop. Hodg ships it regularly it is very popular. I hate these guys who gouge. I'm lucky the guys I buy from have been through these tough times in the past and they don't change prices because everyone is scared.

Back