Are the .17cals really All That?

Ricky Bobby

I don't know, but I'm dang sure gonna find out!
thumbup1.gif

I can't help it fellas. I'm all giddy inside. I have read more articles & threads on the .17 cal rifles, than all others combined, over the past couple years. They have really peaked my interest like no other. I have debated back and forth on which one would be my best fit. I was really convinced I wanted a .17fireball, but unsure. Then came along the .17 HH. I thought this might be the one, especially since it's being offered up in my most beloved Ruger all-weather 77/17 platform. Truth be told the .17 Remington chambering has been lingering in the back of my mind all this time. I mean ... it is the KING of all the .17 cal chamberings, right? Well the day has finally come my fellow varmint/predator hunters. I have one chambered in .17rem on it's way!
w00t.gif

Can't wait to get some 1st hand field experience with a .17 & find out if they are really ALL THAT. Might just end up as crazy as all the other .17 cal fanatics that lurk this site! They are a different breed.
grin.gif

Hey Ricky bobby I'm in the same boat. I added a remy custom deluxe in 17 rem and tonight a 17 hornet. I'm going on a hunting trip this weekend ill report the results. Our main targets are gray fox and cats.

Sure they are! And a nice thing about them is you can make your own bore snake with a needle and thread
lol.gif

In all honesty, a friend has a realy sharp looking, older Remington in 17 Rem. I wouldn`t mind having it. Think he said they quit making that particular model in the early 80`s.

Originally Posted By: HookedSure they are! And a nice thing about them is you can make your own bore snake with a needle and thread
lol.gif

Lmao!!!
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYWelcome to the loony bin
grin.gif

Oh man! You got that right!

Something about them makes sane men (not that I was ever sane!) into blathering idiots. They sure are fun to shoot and will kill things (got a ground squirrel at 550 yards last year) a lot further than you think they will.

.17's are a lot like a woman. They can be aggrivating but you still love them for what they are. Guns are fun to shoot and women are....they are......huh. I forgot what women were good for. I would ask my wife but knowing her she'd get mad.

You would have to be looney to get one of those. They're to big for Squirrel and way to small for anything larger. And 17 bullets bounce off of Coyotes so you've wasted your money.

Originally Posted By: PeteyA .17 is never a waste of money. I have 9 of them and would not sell any them. They are an addiction.

I thought I had it bad.

I have 6

But that doesn't include my Rem 7 17FB that I have for sale since I have two of them!

The .17 Remmy is a magical thing! When I was in Ca. I used to shoot ground squirrels with a friend who had lots of toys. He provided the guns and ammo and I found the places to hunt, so it was a good team effort. We shot 22-250, .223 and a .222, but one day he brought the .17 and I fell in love! The other rifles were great, but that .17 just seemed magical and quickly became my favorite. Too light for yotes in my opinion though. They will go down with proper shot placement, but many are lost. It's just more humane to put them down quickly with a caliber that has a bit more punch. Even a Coyote deserves a quick end rather than suffering for hours or even days

I sure hope so cause my Ruger 77/17 Hornet is on the way! I do love my 17HMR. I hope my new 17Hornet is going to be just as much fun to shoot.

i have not lost a coyote when shot with a berger bullet.and i have killed a large number.other bullets i used did not performe as well having to be shot again.i have made one shot kills over 400 yds.

Originally Posted By: lyotehunteri have not lost a coyote when shot with a berger bullet.and i have killed a large number.other bullets i used did not performe as well having to be shot again.i have made one shot kills over 400 yds.

25 or 30 gr ?

I tried several weights and makers and settled on 25 gr berger match. I also have not lost a coyote with my .17. Taken many well out past 300, Love it.

I will say that when used correctly its a perfect fur gun for me. BUT like any other cal, if you hit one across the back or leg i.e poor hit, they can put some big holes in fur. However, proper shot placement results in no exits and an entrance hole thats very tough to find if it aint leakin.

Would I buy another? Right now no, but only because my prefered bullet is no longer made and the other quality makers such as Chan Nigel are not able to make bullets. Until high quality proven bullets are available again I'd probably go with a 204 or something. Luckily, I was able to secure about 5 years worth of 25gr match targets before supplies dried up, so my .17 remmy isnt going to be gathering dust anytime soon.

Originally Posted By: RadioThe .17 Remmy is a magical thing! When I was in Ca. I used to shoot ground squirrels with a friend who had lots of toys. He provided the guns and ammo and I found the places to hunt, so it was a good team effort. We shot 22-250, .223 and a .222, but one day he brought the .17 and I fell in love! The other rifles were great, but that .17 just seemed magical and quickly became my favorite. Too light for yotes in my opinion though. They will go down with proper shot placement, but many are lost. It's just more humane to put them down quickly with a caliber that has a bit more punch. Even a Coyote deserves a quick end rather than suffering for hours or even days

Since it runs counter to what a lot of experienced hunters who use 17 caliber rifles on coyotes are saying, is your statement above based on actual field experience or is it simply conjecture on your part?

Back