how long to stay for a hung up coyote ?

i appreciate everyone comments, i think we all agree that the long range shot isn'nt going to work most of the time-if i or anyone else is going to as said above know your weapon & limitations. i hunt with a 223. i would probably feel better with a 243 or 25-06 for the long shots. i see what the coyote doctor is saying in regards to working them in you know the coyotes there,you may not see another you never know. it drives me nuts when they hide behind sage brush. i need to try harder to get them out. what bothers me is i need to move slightly to work the call & i think they are staring right at me ? all you can do is keep after it. i started hunting coyotes for sport, i continue for revenge !!
thanks dave....

I learn a lot from this forum.I shoot a 6x284 with 87gr V-MAXs.One time in Porterville Ca I went out with a guide and early in the morning we saw a few yote's.the guide had a range finder.we saw a yote, guide ranged it at 341 yds.I was worried if I had bumpt the rifle and if it was still sighted in.Had a B&L 6x24 4200. On 24 power leveled the cross hairs on his back (rifle was sighted in for 200yds) in the prone position with a Harris Bi-pod.Pulled the trigger and the yote looked like he was struck by lighting.That was my secound yote I ever shot,all others were under 100yds.What a fun memory.

I like to set up my caller at a minimum of 100yds away, more depending on the stand, and try to see how close I can get them to it.

If they hang up I'll take the shot, depending on wind, pretty much as far as I can see them with the naked eye.

Handloader,

I normally use a Rem 700 "police sniper" in .308 just cause I like it and where possible shoot from prone/bipod or using my backpack as a rest (does that count for your bet? It's my prefered field position).

The longest shot I have ever tried on a yote (I'm assuming .50BMG doesn't count here) was at a half mile, 880yds, measured, using my 40XC highpower rifle in .308. That was with iron NM sights of course and prone from the bed of my pickup, no wind.

I hunted hair seal commercialy around the Trinity islands SW of Kodiak with a .22-250, 20X scope, 6" dia moving target bobbing in the ocean swells, prone from the rocks, and hit probably 60-75% at 500yds with no wind. My partner could hit regularly at 600yd but he was just trying to show me up (he did).

With no wind I have hit the small 300yd gong (12" I think) at the Usery Pass (Rio Salado) range probably 80% shooting offhand (standing) with either my Cowboy Silhouette Marlin 336 .30-30, peep sight, or my 7.5 Swiss which is an unaltered (as yet) military surplus rifle, iron sights. I'd be happy to meet you there the next time I'm in town and prove it to you. Send me a PM.

You'll notice the consistant thread in all these examples is NO WIND.

IMHO any good shooter with a 1/2 MOA gun should be able to shoot under MOA at least from prone, especially with a scope, just about every shot, if there's no wind.

The difference between good and great long range shooters is the ability to dope wind.

David Tubb's Camp Perry record record is 2389/2400 138X. That's 99.54%. If you've never been, it ALWAYS blows at Camp Perry (it's on the lake shore), 200-600yd, half the course is rapid fire and 1/4 is offhand.

The 1000yd 6br bench record is 10 shots in 4.2"

Check it out at:

http://www.6mmbr.com/page/page/1309618.htm

Back