22-250 short barrel? with some eye candy

Sickles107

I have a remington sps varmint 22-250 with a 1 14 twist. the barrel is currently at 26 inches and i have searched and searched and searched about the matter of cutting the barrel. i have read anywere from 100 fps loss to "it will basically be an expensive 223". A reasonable velocity drop will not bother me much because i shoot more fox than coyote while calling, and most of my shots are within 200 yards besides plniking wood chucks in the summer. i currently shoot a factory load hornady superformance 50 gr v max at about 1/2 inch groups at 100 yd. i plan on chopping it to 20'' to make it a handier calling rifle and try to cut down on weight, anyone who has carried a similer rifle knows that the rifle sure does not get light as a night of calling goes on. obviously the barrel will be more stiff (shorter) in turn, better/maintain its accuracy if the job is done correctly

my questions are, have any of you done this or something similar? pictures of said rifles? does anyone have actual data of fps loss? not just "oh you will lose x per inch so yadayadayada". will i benefit from finding a slower burning factory load for better performance? will 20 inch 1 14 twist not stabilize bullets as a 26 inch 1 14 twist? thoughts/comments/opinions?

eye candy

Me and my cousin on Christmas night,this fox could have used a little loss of fps (before i hear it, all 3 fox were in tall grass only showing head)
fhjnhnf.jpg

3 shot group at 100 yards factory superformance 50 gr v max
Xo_Dx_B.jpg

Last edited:
Personally i wouldnt cut the barrel down. The 26" tube on a .22-250 really lets the round shine. I also have a rem sps in .22-250 and its a flat out shooter but i agree it isnt the handiest to get in and out of the truck. I wound up also buying a cz 527 american in .204 and it is a sweet shooting little gun. Where you are shooting foxes mostly i would highly recommend a 204 and leave the 250 alone

This if a fantastic article to read if you are considering a short barrel and the effects of such. Mike R. is one of the country's top gunsmiths. He builds absolute hammers, and is well known in the Tactical Community.
Enjoy
Tac Ops Barrel Length Experiment

Myself I am waiting for my 17.25 in 7mm-08 to get here.

Last edited:
looking at about 80 bucks from a local smith for the cut and crown. another rifle is also the more expensive but logical option. was looking into a 204 a few months ago and would most likely be my pick if i buy a carry rifle

If a 22-250 is too much for the game you typically shoot, has a heavy barrel, and already shoots well then why not get a sporter weight barrel in a smaller caliber more suitable to what you need.

No need to pound the square peg into the round hole, just go get a round peg.

Originally Posted By: HPWIf a 22-250 is too much for the game you typically shoot, has a heavy barrel, and already shoots well then why not get a sporter weight barrel in a smaller caliber more suitable to what you need.

No need to pound the square peg into the round hole, just go get a round peg.

oh man that is good stuff and I agree!!

80 bucks to make my rifle a little lighter and more handy is a heck of a lot more cost effective than another calling rifle setup. thats why i am asking about effects of cutting the barrel in the first place

I got a new stainless remington sporter take off 22-250 barrel sitting here, it could be cut off and crowned at whatever length you want. Then you just need your smith to headspace it and Banda bing... You got a completely different handling rifle. Send me a PM if your interested..

Here's my 20" 22-250 (26" 700VS cut/crowned).I'm currently waiting for my next one to come in. I'd say go for it,you wont be sorry......

IMG_0129.jpg

If it was me personally, Id sell it and get a smaller cal rifle. I had a .22-250 that I loved but never used it alot besides woodchucks in the summer as most my shots were closer than the what the .22-250 would excel at. I ended up selling it and got another rifle.

If most your shots are under 200 yards, you have alot of choices that would be more fur friendly. IMO

If it was a savage, then you could swap barrels yourself and could really change it up for cheep, verus having to turn it on a lathe to headspace.

If your dead set on the rifle and love it, than chop it how you want it. Its your rifle after all, and if your happy with it thats all that matters.

Bryan

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeSkinny is running a short barrel 22-250
watch the video... although this weapon has a much faster twist, than a 14... It was designed for my needs.

Cutting 4-6 inchs off your barrel will be about the same as taking the change out of your pocket in weight. Granted, it will handle better but you will barely notice the weight.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogCutting 4-6 inchs off your barrel will be about the same as taking the change out of your pocket in weight. Granted, it will handle better but you will barely notice the weight.
Seriously? Have you ever weighed 4-6 inches of barrel, or taken that amount of weight off the muzzle?
I have had several barrels cut down over the years. Turned one from a hummer to a dud. Made several others more accurate. Changed the accuracy load on every one, and lost little velocity in most cases. Made every one easier to handle in the brush. It's your choice, but be prepared for it to shoot differently, good or bad.

im thinking reward outweights risk for me. major downfall being the loss in fps witch will not bother me much. will just have to shoot it more and redo my mental bullet drop chart. i can only hope that it will still shoot good, but i trust the smith. And it would be nice if it likes the same factory load, but thats not a big deal. The rifle will weight less, weather noticeable or not, it will deffinatly be better to handle and point while calling at night.

Back