Floor of kennel ideas

Norcalkyle

I am putting a new kennel in at a ranch I hunt, and it is going to be in a shaded spot , but the ground is soft. I am worried about my dogs digging under the panels over the course of a day or night. I don't want to line the floor with rubber matting, which is what I typically do. Any ideas preventing digging out short of pouring a concrete pad?

How big will the kennel be? I was faced with the same decision a few years ago and concrete ended up being one of the cheaper options. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't cheap but factoring in pouring it to drain, no digging, easily cleaned etc, it was an easy decision. I did all the work myself.

It's just a 5' x 10'. My kennel floors at home are concrete as well, but I don't want make this too permanant. I was halfway thinking about puting fencing in the ground 6" below dirt level, so the dogs dont have to step on it, but if they get too digging it will prevent escape.

Hi,

You could use a piece of plywood. Probably green treated or put water seal on it to make it last longer. I used it for several years, but I did not have a dog that was crazy to dig. That might be a deal breaker.

Reed

I thought about the plywood. My dogs don't dig either, but when they see me drive away in the polaris with a rifle, they get really goofy and will do anything to follow me. Just don't want to lose a dog and a cheap floor is an easy fix.

I don't know how far you are from a supplier, but a lot of metro areas have concrete delivery in small batches. You only need about 1 yard of concrete.

I have all my dogs concrete runs. It is just so easy to clean and disinfect.

The amount you need is not much money.

I used to set wire cattle panels directly on ground then run treated 4x4s on the bottom of my kennels secured with U clamps then would set my kennels on top of the panels then would fill the kennels up level to the 4x4s with gravel. The gravel here in Nebraska is cheap. Works well if you plan on moving later down the road and was cheaper for me than pouring concrete Each time I moved.

Just throw down a cattle pannel. Stake down in a few spots, your good to go. It wont hurt their feet, and dirt will naturaly fill in around the wire. Thats what i do for diggers.

Do you guys that use the cattle panels have problems cleaning the kennel? I\ve never tried the panels and I can see how they would stop the digging, but I'd be concerned about cleaning and crap buildup.

That's what is nice with filling it with gravel easy to scoop your piles of crap up and all the dog piss just washes down to the bottom. On nice days I would scoop all the crap up then hose down the gravel to somewhat keep it fresh it really helps keep the flies somewhat in check. You won't have to worry bout the cattle panel if you have enough fill over top then.

Nope just rake it out. I know its not ideal, but for temporary kennels or kennels you will only use for weekends it is quick cheep and easy.

Originally Posted By: NEYOTEMANI used to set wire cattle panels directly on ground then run treated 4x4s on the bottom of my kennels secured with U clamps then would set my kennels on top of the panels then would fill the kennels up level to the 4x4s with gravel. The gravel here in Nebraska is cheap. Works well if you plan on moving later down the road and was cheaper for me than pouring concrete Each time I moved.

This

Back