urban coyotes

Since im new to trapping what do I do to a trap (duke #2) after I by it and before I use it for a dirt hole set and I do know how to do a dirt hole set.

I'm not sure why nobody else has mentioned this yet, but legholds/snares/conibears and urban areas don't mix. All it's going to take is someone's precious lap dog breaking its leg in one of your traps and you'll be in a world of hurt. You WILL hear the phrase "God forbid my toddler had accidentally been hurt"... Urban areas are dang touchy. Even if nothing runs loose normally, all it takes is a dog getting off the leash or out of a back yard to ruin your month.

Beyond that, it's getting more and more common for municipalities to have code preventing trapping within city limits, or even proximity code for how close it can happen near homes.

Further, you'll need to be sure your neighbors that might witness your "pelt friendly dispatch method" aren't even remotely squeamish, especially for a large animal like a coyote that takes a little back strength to dispatch "manually". Club a dog in front of the wrong people and you'll set some phones ringing.

Moral of the story, trapping urban coyotes can be tricky. The ONLY traps I use in town are live traps. Doesn't hurt anyone's pet, lets me take the animals out of town before dealing with them, and gives me the opportunity to get more permission by telling the landowners I'll be relocating the animals (I don't LIE and say I won't kill them, I just say they'll be captured live so I can move them out into the country where they won't be able to cause problems anymore).

A duke #2 isnt going to break a dogs leg unlezs you leave them for a week.

Im not saying that a foothold is the answer for this situation, but i dont think falce info needs to be put up on a public forum.

Pred243, to answer your question, as a minimum you will need to adjust the pan. When the trap is set the pan should set flat and level with the jaws. You will also need to adjust the pan tension by tightening or loosening the bolt that holds the pan on. You can use a three pound hammer and softly set it on the pan. You want it to just barely hold the hammer up.

Well good luck. Verminator does make good points though. And those are things you will have to consider. I was just saying that the chances of anything breaking a leg in a #2 is pretty slim. If you do decide to set them Dont use any real loud call lures, and i would stay away from food based lures also. Less chance of drawing in dogs that way.

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackeyA duke #2 isnt going to break a dogs leg unlezs you leave them for a week.

Im not saying that a foothold is the answer for this situation, but i dont think falce info needs to be put up on a public forum.

Rare? Maybe. False info? Hardly. I broke one of my neighbors dogs legs with a D1.5 in college, 5lb chihuahua that I paid $2500 to an orthopedic surgeon to fix and pin. Gal was walking it ON A LEASH when it got caught, guess I had my trap concealed pretty well.

I know where you're coming from Jesse, I sure as heck didn't anticipate catching a rat sized dog. My policy these days is better safe than sorry. Unfortunately I learned that lesson the hard way.

243 i would look into the "Collarum" traps they work very well.
I did problem coyote removal in Tx. And they worked great.
I did catch one pet lab and it didnt have one hair out of place.
I pulled the lab out and took it to its owner.
One thing i would do is talk to all the nabors is ask them to keep them pets inside will your trying to trap the problem coyote.
Be careful not to cause yourself more problems than it's worth.
Good luck.

The problem is not the trap guys as far as footholds and i dont mean to offnd anyone but the person asking this is not experienced with a foothold trap or a snare or a cage modifications check times and knowin how will remove the coyotes with a foothold and decrease injurys to non targets but avoiding non targets if possible is best but like what was said it is no guarentee to avoid dogs or other domestics without the experience i would look into other options collurums is a ood bet and yes they are pricey but if a non target is caught they can be released mostly unharmed a foothold if a guy doesnt have any practical hands on experience could be a risky thing if there is a genuine probelm another option is to contact a proffesional either private or usda i will urge you what ever you choose to do remember any incidnts could reflect not just you but trappers in general. so bfore you decide on a "cheap" and "easy" option i advise you plase take into consideration the worst case scenarios doing this on your own with lttle knowlege or experience no pun intended to you dont take this th wrong way. some of us do this for a liveing and would like to continue doing so. were realy tying to help you out i hope you consider all that was said throughout this post.
also i hate to disagree but there is no lure or bait or even urine that is goin to magicaly prevent dogs or cats from working your sets they are not species specific gland lures urine will catch just about anything there isnt a never or always in this buisness

Last edited:
I ran into this very problem at work the other day. Inexperienced person trying to trap coyotes that killed one of the household pets. Moral of the story was that he did not have a clue what he was doing, did not have required trapping license, trap tags, and was using illegal snares. DNR came and issued him a pile of tickets and seized all of his traps. This was because one neighbor called and complained because she was worried about her dog.

Kentucky law states that no trap shall be placed in such a manner as unreasonably to endanger the life or SAFETY of a domestic animal.

Call a nuisance removal company:
1)They know what they are doing.
2)They are properly licensed.
3)It will be cheaper for you in the long run.

Use Cable restraints to catch them...get the once designated for use in Pennsylvania.. Done right they don't kill and if you catch an untargeted animal you can let them go..Just make sure you don't set them where an animal can hang itself on a log. the trap setting radius has to be far enough from fences and branches etc.. best place is just on trails in high grass or corners of fields or paths down from ponds or streams..

Here is an example on how they catch a predator around the neck and just hold it there for you.. Notice why I say you can't put it close to branches or post etc to hang the targeted animal.. If you caught a cat or a dog you just let it go.. ost about $17.00 per dozen and $17.00 per dozen for cable anchor.. You can set 12 trap for those coyotes for about $34.00. Once caught the cable no go but if none trigger the cables you just dig them up and use them next time..

here is what a set cable restraint looks like!!!

P1010018_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Back