Reloading/Full Lenght Sizing Quesiton

bigdaddy590

I have a question. I am trying to full length resize 30-06. I adjusted the die just like the RCBS and my loading manual said. Screw it in until the die touches the shell holder then 1/4 turn down.

My question is when I am FL sizing the case there is a "ridge" just above the shoulder, and the shell holder doesn't touch the die. I am really cranking on it. My question is, is the die supposed to touch the shell holder when resizing and is the ridge supposed to be there? Below is the pic of the ram and case as far as i can get it to go and the next picture is the case. Not sure if you can see the ridge above the shoulder or not.

20130219_172902_zps60e9f0a7.jpg
20130219_172956_zps44254f31.jpg

DOH Just figured it out. The excess part of the handle was hitting my reloading bench! FACEPALM!
It went all the way in after the handle stopped digging into the 2x4

Last edited:
It happens, just today I was using my charge master and pulled the pan off the scale since it was my last load I hit the zero button and it proceeded to pour h380 out all over the scale, it made a [beeep] of a mess before I hit the cancel button.

Screwing the die until it hits the shell holder is a part of the directions that may not be correct for your gun. It can result in giving you a head space problem. A better method is screw it down until you have the thickness of a nickel between the die base and the shell holder. Size the case the normal way. Take the case out of the shell holder. Look at the neck of the case. It will usually look much like the case in the first post. Try to chamber the case in your rifle. If it will not go in screw the die in 1/4 to 1/2 turn depending on how much the first sizing failed to go into the rifle. Size again and try in the rifle. Continue this until the case chambers. It should chamber without a stiff downturn of the bolt handle. I usually find that resizing brass for the rifle that it was fired in you will be able to see a small dark ring of carbon where the sizing die stopped short of the shoulder of the case.

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachIt happens, just today I was using my charge master and pulled the pan off the scale since it was my last load I hit the zero button and it proceeded to pour h380 out all over the scale, it made a [beeep] of a mess before I hit the cancel button.

It always seems to be more when dumping directly on the scale than opposed to the pan.....or so I've heard
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: ipopumScrewing the die until it hits the shell holder is a part of the directions that may not be correct for your gun. It can result in giving you a head space problem. A better method is screw it down until you have the thickness of a nickel between the die base and the shell holder. Size the case the normal way. Take the case out of the shell holder. Look at the neck of the case. It will usually look much like the case in the first post. Try to chamber the case in your rifle. If it will not go in screw the die in 1/4 to 1/2 turn depending on how much the first sizing failed to go into the rifle. Size again and try in the rifle. Continue this until the case chambers. It should chamber without a stiff downturn of the bolt handle. I usually find that resizing brass for the rifle that it was fired in you will be able to see a small dark ring of carbon where the sizing die stopped short of the shoulder of the case.

Huh... where did you hear that?

A 1/4 of a turn is 18 thousandths. Is that how you resolve headspace problems??

Bad advice!

Originally Posted By: ipopumScrewing the die until it hits the shell holder is a part of the directions that may not be correct for your gun. It can result in giving you a head space problem. A better method is screw it down until you have the thickness of a nickel between the die base and the shell holder. Size the case the normal way. Take the case out of the shell holder. Look at the neck of the case. It will usually look much like the case in the first post. Try to chamber the case in your rifle. If it will not go in screw the die in 1/4 to 1/2 turn depending on how much the first sizing failed to go into the rifle. Size again and try in the rifle. Continue this until the case chambers. It should chamber without a stiff downturn of the bolt handle. I usually find that resizing brass for the rifle that it was fired in you will be able to see a small dark ring of carbon where the sizing die stopped short of the shoulder of the case.

I find that a headspace gage works the best and itty bitty turns on the die when close. TJM

Back